Witherspoon to become Lott.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Over thinking it, I think. He's a top notch CB, and basically might give us 2 top tier CBs and let QBs pick a side.

Maybe later in his career, but not now. His run support, which I hear is pretty good, will be a good asset on the outside as well.

Agree that he could transition later in his career if he puts on some muscle. Right now he's a boundary corner with great run support and I'm good with that.

I also think slot corner is a waste of his talent. Ideally I'd like to see him play role of "Whoever is your best receiver, I'm on them."

Boohman14

Reaction score
He hasn't played an NFL down yet. He was drafted to be a corner. I expect he'll have some learning to do before he can become what we all expect. Seattle is building a dominate defense again and a deep defensive backfield with a great deal of talent.
I'm hoping he can become a version of Sherman. A sure tackler, instinctive corner than can blow up a screen pass, and a shutdown corner. with Woolen on the other side it will be risky to pass the ball on the Hawks. Now if Adams can return with some health and Diggs keeps up his style of play...Jeeze.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Nice... but does a 181 lb. Safety have enough sand in his pants?

Diggs is 200, Earl was 202, Adams is 215, Lott was 203, and Polamalu was 207.
This^^^^
Spoon is a lockdown, hard hitting CB2. Woolen is CB1. Got Love/Bryant in slot if on the field with Jamal in nickel at same time . Diggs at FS. Jamal/Love SS

OP
OP
F

fraser

Reaction score
It’s only a point of discussion. In no way did I say he was drafted to be a safety. The points made here by many have merit. I’m not disputing them by and mean. I’m just saying that any organization worth their salt leaves all doors open. Witherspoon has the makeup to possible be a future safety if the avenue presents itself. If he stays as a CB and dominates then I’m satisfied. As for a young lad gaining 20 lbs of mass in three years. I’m quite confident that can happen naturally as well as training and nutrition. Anyways lads….. Go Hawks and enjoy!!

themunn

Reaction score
This^^^^
Spoon is a lockdown, hard hitting CB2. Woolen is CB1. Got Love/Bryant in slot if on the field with Jamal in nickel at same time . Diggs at FS. Jamal/Love SS

I think you're underestimating Witherspoon here, who is likely to show he is capable of being CB1.

A brief history of corners selected in top 5:

Sauce Gardner (2022) - OROY, All Pro, Pro Bowl
Jeff Okudah (2020) - injury plagued jury out
Denzel Ward (2018) - 2x pro bowl
Jalen Ramsey (2016) 3x All Pro, 6x Pro Bowl
Patrick Peterson (2011) 3x All Pro 8x Pro Bowl
Terence Newman (2003) 2x Pro-bowl, 15 year career (42 ints)
Quentin Jammer (2002) 13 year career but probably worst player here
Charles Woodson (1998) one of the greatest defensive players of all time
Shawn Springs (1997) - 1 all pro, 1 pro bowl, 13 year career
Bryant Westbrook (1997) - Injury plagued

They don't typically go that high unless they've got something about them - and if Carroll thinks you have something about you as a CB he's probably right

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I think you're underestimating Witherspoon here, who is likely to show he is capable of being CB1.

They don't typically go that high unless they've got something about them - and if Carroll thinks you have something about you as a CB he's probably right
Good information.

Seriously agree with the statement about Pete Carroll. If he thinks a player is top 5 worthy at corner, that's really saying something. Witherspoon has a huge opportunity in front of him as well. The best coach he's ever had as well. The sky is the limit for this kid.

sutz

Reaction score
Pete is the original DB whisperer. He knows defensive backs.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score

I agree he’s a freak but he’s also a rookie. Woolen has 18 games and 6 picks. His experience gives him a slight edge but either way we can’t go wrong