Witherspoon to become Lott.

fraser

Reaction score
The Hawks should look next year for a top CB IF available. The fact that Devon has a quick switch understanding the game from the CB position means he can further evaluate and scope the field better as a safety. He is a perfect example of a secondary conversion. Thoughts.

OP
OP
F

fraser

Reaction score
Just for some that don’t know.. Lott was drafted as a CB and then was switched to a safety. Witherspoon has hall of fame potential as a safety. And hey! Didn’t Pete compare him to Troy? A safety by the way. Think about it.

OP
OP
F

fraser

Reaction score
And I’m not saying Diggs or Adams should be bumped. This is not a thought for today but tomorrow. It has value.

toffee

Reaction score
Are you saying his chance of HOF is more likely as safety than CB?

nanomoz

Reaction score
I think Witherspoon would be best in the slot. I suspect he would have the most impact on the run and screen game that way. He is superb at crashing the backfield.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
The Hawks should look next year for a top CB IF available. The fact that Devon has a quick switch understanding the game from the CB position means he can further evaluate and scope the field better as a safety. He is a perfect example of a secondary conversion. Thoughts.

I mentioned that I thought he looked like a safety in a comment in another thread (click through; the only text in the preview is from the comment I quoted at the beginning of my comment):

OP
OP
F

fraser

Reaction score
Agreed. As a strong safety he would be great. But he is so versatile that he could hand out as free safety and pluck balls or or hand out a Hamlin hit. Your choice.

OP
OP
F

fraser

Reaction score
I’m not sure. But being part of a secondary crew you understand the requirements of that defensive sector. He gets it. It’s not like he’s a WR converting. The tools before him as in the coaching staff can manage his transition if that’s on the table. Remember. It’s only my opinion. If he stays a CB it’s all good.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Interesting.

Has he ever played safety before? Anybody know?
He did I believe in HS. The story I heard on one of the many reviews of our draft, said his first practice of HS as a JR, he got like 3 INT. The coach looked at him and said you are my new starting safety.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
He did I believe in HS. The story I heard on one of the many reviews of our draft, said his first practice of HS as a JR, he got like 3 INT. The coach looked at him and said you are my new starting safety.
Nice... but does a 181 lb. Safety have enough sand in his pants?

Diggs is 200, Earl was 202, Adams is 215, Lott was 203, and Polamalu was 207.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Just for some that don’t know.. Lott was drafted as a CB and then was switched to a safety. Witherspoon has hall of fame potential as a safety. And hey! Didn’t Pete compare him to Troy? A safety by the way. Think about it.
Pete compared him to Troy in his mental makeup, not his play.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Pete compared him to Troy in his mental makeup, not his play.
Interesting. I thought that his comparison was how Polamalu saw/read the play before it happened and made many major plays because of his inherent elite football instincts.

Smellyman

Reaction score
No way. Worried enough about his reckless abandon with his small frame

Mick063

Reaction score
Nice... but does a 181 lb. Safety have enough sand in his pants?

Diggs is 200, Earl was 202, Adams is 215, Lott was 203, and Polamalu was 207.
You nailed it. He isn't nearly big enough to play run support in the box. He would get subjected to a needless physical beating. I don't know how his speed compares to Earl Thomas, but I could see Witherspoon raising similar hell in the "Robber" mode as a free safety. I mean if you wanted to waste his talents at safety, he would probably be much better suited for that role. Seattle doesn't play that style of defense as much anymore though.

As a slot corner, he would be in much better position to anticipate. Seattle has a notoriously bad historical track record of covering backs out of the backfield. It goes all the way back to the LOB days. Their loss to the Patriots in the Super Bowl can be directly attributed to wheel routes killing an otherwise stout defense. The Rams, typically mediocre under Fischer, were still a major pain in the ass because Fischer knew to game plan around wheel routes. His backs ALWAYS had a receiving field day against Seattle, and I think that is where Belichick got clued in for his Super Bowl strategy.

Witherspoon, from the slot, may be the best answer for that yet. Not because he would primarily cover backs from the slot (he wouldn't), but because he reads and anticipates so well, that he could reliably leave his primary coverage of the slot receiver early and blow up the wheel routes to the running back as they happen. Not only that, but blow-up bubble screens aimed at the "X", take on jet sweeps, force the read option QB runs, switch on "rub" routes, etc. There is a ton of help that a slot corner with a Polamalu type anticipation could really help with.

Really, the guy is so good, he could do well at the boundary as well, but I think the team is better off using Michael Jackson there and utilizing Witherspoon at the slot.

Last edited:

rjdriver

Reaction score
He is a perennial safety. Kam the 2nd.
Kam played at 225 pounds and hit like he was 260...

Spoon has similar intensity but doesn't have the physical makeup to disrupt the game in the same way Kam did. (and yes I've seen his famous highlight).

sutz

Reaction score
Over thinking it, I think. He's a top notch CB, and basically might give us 2 top tier CBs and let QBs pick a side.

Maybe later in his career, but not now. His run support, which I hear is pretty good, will be a good asset on the outside as well.