Witherspoon injured???

keasley45

Reaction score
He should be fine if he shuts it down for a week or two and focuses on stretching and therapy. Better now than in November.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Ugh..

Zero doubt we are getting punished by Jesus for having the Russell Wilson Meme thread. They're like really close and all.
If Russ has a favorite poem, I bet it's John Donne's "Holy Sonnet XIV" (it's the one where the poet baaaaaasically begs to be raped by God).

Who am I kidding? That'd actually be kind of cool.

It's "Footprints."

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
. Better now than in November.
Can’t argue this.

It’s just a gut punch for me though.

I have very high personal hopes for this kid.
We all know to well how this type of issue can effect a guy.

I’m not declaring that it is, but this is the kind of thing that can keep a player from ever living up to their potential.

This and groin injuries can be a nagging issue for a guy’s entire career.
Here’s to hoping/praying it’s not going to be for this guy.

bileever

Reaction score
Relax, it's way too early to jump to conclusions about Witherspoon. Cornerback is a position where it's easy to get dinged up. The stopping and starting, the change of direction and the contact. Every CB is always nursing an injury. Take a look at this chart from ohbets.com:

Screen Shot 2023 08 09 at 61359 PM

Or, as my coach used to say, "to be an athlete is to be injured."

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
Relax, it's way too early to jump to conclusions about Witherspoon. Cornerback is a position where it's easy to get dinged up. The stopping and starting, the change of direction and the contact. Every CB is always nursing an injury. Take a look at this chart from ohbets.com:

View attachment 60124

Or, as my coach used to say, "to be an athlete is to be injured."
That’s all fine and great but it doesn’t take into account how a hamstring can re-emerge at just about any time, nor does it take into account that we are talking about our fist pick in this draft class.

This is a guy that most expected to have an almost immediate impact. But that’s not even the big worry. I’m fairly certain he will heal up and be available.

It the nagging reoccurrence of this type of injury that concerns me. It can literally come and go throughout an entire career.

olyfan63

Reaction score
The good news is Tre Brown looks great so it's not an issue except he's the 5th pick in a draft that we didn't need CB . Let alone the fact he's undersized and doesn't have elite physical traits. Not happy with that pick at all.
You realize lack of DB depth has cost the Hawks TWO Super Bowls?

XLIX - Lost Jeremy Lane, had to put in Tharald "Toast" Simon, also injured, Brady and Amendola/Edelman ABUSED him.
XL - Lost Marquand Manuel in the first half, Stealers took advantage of street free agent Etric Pruitt. We were also down starter Ken Hamlin from a stupid bar fight months earlier.

So, "too many" NFL-quality DBs? No such thing, in Pete's mind. Especially in the passing league the NFL has become.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Ugh..

Zero doubt we are getting punished by Jesus for having the Russell Wilson Meme thread. They're like really close and all.
So not the infant baby Jesus, or the adult bearded Jesus, but the Russell Wilson Jesus in a football helmet? We prayed to that Jesus to help us out by making the Broncos lose, and Russell-Jesus came through last year. Maybe this year, it's the Kurt Warner bearded Jesus, to watch over Geno?

I guess as long as Witherspoons hammie doesn't smell, to where the dogs are always bothering with it, it's all good?

Shaz Magoon

Reaction score
Once again, we should have drafted Jalen Carter who's BTW dominating Eagles camp

An undersized, aggressive and injury prone CB at #5 was about as bad of a decision as drafting Aaron Curry

rjdriver

Reaction score
The kid is a game changer IF he can stay on the field and evolve as a pro.

Which is why some of these agents need to be less greedy and play the damn long game. Whatever his holdout got him, it could potentially pale in comparison to the money left at the table in contract 2 (3) if he carries the burden of a chronically injured player.

Sure. Know your worth. Play a little hardball in repping your client. But get your kid in camp so he is conditioned to avoid injury.

The best ability is availability and teams pay a premium for that.

NoGain

Reaction score
It sucks, but we'll be okay. Just hope it's a little down time and rehab thing. It's kind of like buying a hot new car and not being able to drive it right away.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
Can’t argue this.

It’s just a gut punch for me though.

I have very high personal hopes for this kid.
We all know to well how this type of issue can effect a guy.

I’m not declaring that it is, but this is the kind of thing that can keep a player from ever living up to their potential.

This and groin injuries can be a nagging issue for a guy’s entire career.
Here’s to hoping/praying it’s not going to be for this guy.
Example: Sean Lee - Dallas Linebacker - due was a stud - couldn't keep hamstrings healthy.

Welshers2

Reaction score
Damn. Injuries really have a way of sucking the fun out of the league. Just praying he'll be good to go for a healthy regular season. Really excited to see this guy.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's August 10th. Couldn't get worried if I tried. If it was late August or Early Sept. Then it's more worry time.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Once again, we should have drafted Jalen Carter who's BTW dominating Eagles camp

An undersized, aggressive and injury prone CB at #5 was about as bad of a decision as drafting Aaron Curry
That's the remarkable thing... Shaz's take COULD TURN OUT to be the correct one, over a period of time. It's a roll of the dice.
I have to think Pete and John seriously considered this, that Witherspoon is a bit undersized for run support, 200 lbs taking on 250+ lb TEs and 230 lb RBs, and thus could be prone to injury. Think Jamal Adams as an undersized LB whose body doesn't stand up to constantly taking on 320-lb pulling Guards.

Ultimately, the prospect of having a CB who can shut down say, peak Julian Edelman, and most other WRs who are not the reincarnation of Megatron or Julio in their prime, was what they decided on.

The experience of being passed on and pissed on may have given Jalen Carter such a chip on his shoulder that now he's got the ideal Seahawk mindset. But can he keep that edge long enough to be a good pro? I hope Pete & John & Co. got this one right. This one will be fun to take stock of after the season is over.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
Which is why some of these agents need to be less greedy and play the damn long game. Whatever his holdout got him, it could potentially pale in comparison to the money left at the table in contract 2 (3) if he carries the burden of a chronically injured player.

Sure. Know your worth. Play a little hardball in repping your client. But get your kid in camp so he is conditioned to avoid injury.

The best ability is availability and teams pay a premium for that.
I don’t disagree