Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Spent the morning with a (hardcore) Viking fan today. He described Winfield as relentless and fearless. Felt he was still one of the best corners in the league and shook his head in disgust when I told him he was visiting Seattle today. I asked him why the Vikes would let him walk and his one word answer was "stupid".

In other parts of our conversation he was obviously bitter (and biased) re Harvin. Called him a "nut-job" and said he was "happy" Harvin was no longer on the team (LOL). Went further in saying if he had his choice, he would take Rice over Harvin 10 times out of 10.

I argued his points on Harvin but found him to be an astute guy that identified the fact we were not as good vs the run as we'd like to be. He gushed about Winfield and felt he would contribute to fixing that problem, immediately. Let's get this done, JS!

The Outfield

Reaction score
Floridahawk79":2upz9ytx said:
Age 35 and 5'9" kinda goes against the grain but if JS and PC want him then I'm on board.

His age might go against the grain, but his numbers don't

scutterhawk

Reaction score
cacksman":gq6jpqcz said:
After reading Vikings' forums about Winfield, I really hope we sign him now. He sounds like a very good player still.

I also noticed how much animosity a lot of their fans have against the Seahawks. You can tell they are still actually butthurt over the Harvin deal(whether they admit it or not).
They can't be anymore "Butthurt" than the Seahawks were when Hutch decided to screw the Seahawks over with his poison pill chickensh*t exit.

Winterfell

Reaction score
I have been really excited about the prospect of Winfield joining the Seahawks, I've voiced how I think he would be a perfect fit and an instant upgrade to one of our few flaws towards the end of last season - run defense and nickel cornerback.

For those of you concerned that his stature conflicts with the Legion of Boom, I don't think there's anything to be worried about. Some people think the L.O.B. is characterized by its size, but I think what really sets the L.O.B. apart from all other secondaries and really is the most crucial aspect is the physicality. Antoine Winfield may only be 5'9" but he has physicality and toughness in bunches. I love Marcus Trufant, but it's hard to argue that he's as physical as the rest of the L.O.B. No other corner in the league last year came CLOSE to how well Winfield defended against the run last year, not even Browner. And Winfield still finished in the top 20 CBs in terms of pass defense too, I believe.

I'm starting to feel sorry for Minnesota, I feel like we've been steadily siphoning their talent since the mid-2000's. They've become our minor league farm team. XD

two dog

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":3dnjdl5h said:
JSeahawks":3dnjdl5h said:
Sign him to the veterans minimum and let him compete. Although I'd prefer Thurmond and Lane.
You might want to do a little homework before posting things like this, because saying that you prefer two wholly unproven options (incl. one with a major injury history) to the premier nickel/slot corner in the entire NFL is patently absurd. Also, Winfield isn't signing "for the minimum" somewhere "to compete" like he's some form of camp fodder. He's an elite player at what he does, he has a healthy offer on the table from the Redskins to be a starter, the Vikings are trying to get him back, and anyone who wants him is going to have to pony up.

You've got an AMEN !! Despite being, what, 36 years old the guy is still a player to be reckoned with.
I see nickel corner as being the most needful piece of the pass defense and Winfield is one of the
best in the business. And, yes, he would not come cheap. At least it would stop a lot of us (myself
included) from having Badger dreams.

I also like Lane and, especially, Thurmond trey. Seems every time he makes a play though, he breaks a nail.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
The thing about Winfield is, he is really playing his best football of his career in his 30s.

I get that there is the age thing that generally is a golden rule. But Winfield legitimately is bucking that trend. Not going to say he's Moyer like -- but the guy is not showing decline at all and in fact is showing he's playing better than he ever did in his 20s.

He's a unique player. I would table the age related concerns on him. They really aren't proving to be accurate at all. In fact, there is going to be one team out there who is going to ignore conventional thinking and be happy they did.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Well, no news yet....Could be that Minnesota will match anything he is offered. I doubt we sign him for too much money. That seems to be the name of the game for anything other than QBs.

Floridahawk79

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":3o41eyw8 said:
Well, no news yet....Could be that Minnesota will match anything he is offered. I doubt we sign him for too much money. That seems to be the name of the game for anything other than QBs.

It's still early in the day. Don't think we'll hear anything until later today or tomorrow.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Floridahawk79":16nv0uoa said:
Seahwkgal":16nv0uoa said:

It's still early in the day. Don't think we'll hear anything until later today or tomorrow.

I don't think he's even there yet. Reports said he'd be visiting on Wednesday.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
At 35 he might just want to have a chance to go all the way. My biased view is the seahawks have the better chance. Playing in front of our crowd and getting to be part of this team has to be worth quite a bit I suspect.

Galen96

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":lpy9bl4d said:

I'd be willing to bed he'd be willing to take less $$ in lieu of a ring.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
We do have a better shot at a Title than Was does, but teams like Balt, SF, NE, GB, ATL and NYG have a better rep so we wouldn't get a discount over those teams. We can only hope his phone isn't ringing off the hook

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2k3ip2aw said:
themunn":2k3ip2aw said:
sutz":2k3ip2aw said:
IIRC, Browner was behind Thurmond on the depth chart before TIII got hurt.

Nope, Browner and Trufant were the starters until Trufant got hurt, Thurmond came in and got hurt, Sherman came in and the rest is history

Can easily explain that by pointing out PC sometimes playing veterans while prepping rookies. It doesn't mean that Browner's coverage skills are superior to Thurmond's, because they're just not. Browner has his role, but he got burned all the time in ways that Thurmond, even in limited playing time, showed strength against.

Browner made many more plays on the ball. We're arguing a Pro-Bowler versus a guy who can't even stay healthy, this isn't a discussion.

To say Thurmond is better than Browner in coverage is still a stretch. Better at playing man? Maybe, better in zone? No, better at press? No.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":uqy2nt5b said:

Winfield is still scheduled to visit another team or two. So unless the Hawks make him an offer he can't refuse, I don't see this getting done for another week or two.

Winfield's 35, so he's going to sign with the team that pays him the most. If all things are equal? Then we have a shot because we're a contender for a title. IMO he's the perfect CB for our slot needs. He had one of the highest defensive passer ratings in all the league from the slot last year.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Thurmond is in the last year of his contract and making $630,000. I'm fine bringing him to camp and see what happens. Cut the losses after this year.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":195sa0la said:

Kind of jumping the gun when he has not even visited yet.

RynoHawk

Reaction score
he is in town today, meeting with Seahawk Brass...... AP and a few others are in Beaverton to check out the new Vikings Uni's... just fyi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts