Wilson's QBR vs Passer rating

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
drrew":2kyg3ea0 said:
SoHo9erFan":2kyg3ea0 said:
I agree Wilson's performance probably fell between his QBR and his passer rating. But I don't understand how people on here think Wilson is still performing at a high level. Notwithstanding the injuries to two bookend tackles, Wilson and the Hawks offense is still struggling. People on here need to reconsider this whole Wilson+Lynch=best combo in the league. Kap and Gore have looked better this season.
I would be concerned if I was a Seahawks fan

You really think 57% passing 1584 YDS 9TD 5INT 294 yards rushing looks better than 61% passing, 1628YDS 13TD 4INT 339 yards rushing?

At RB, Gore has a whopping 17 more yards and 1 more TD rushing, while Lynch has 85 yards more receiving and a receiving TD.

In what universe does the 49ers duo look better than what Wilson and Lynch have put up this season?

That doesn't even take into account the unbalanced schedule where Seattle has 5 homes games in the 2nd half of the season. I understand liking your team, but your claim is just silly.
You conspicuously ignored Kap's TD runs. You thought to mention rushing yards but not TDs? I agree that rushing TDs can be deceiving when using that stat as a tool to measure performance, but all of Kap's TD runs were by design and he really demonstrated his athletic ability on those TDs. So really Kap has 12 TDs to 5 picks-- which is obviously still not as impressive as Wilson's 13 TD and 4 picks...

But these numbers also don't define a QB. Kap is playing perfectly within the 49ers system these past weeks and looked like the best QB in the league Week 1 against the Packers. Kap has done all of this without a viable receiving threat outside the hashes. I've watched every Seahawks game and 49ers game and it's pretty clear Kap is more of an NFL QB than Wilson. Maybe when Okung and Gio return RW might be able to show he can stand in the pocket and be a QB, but until then Wilson is running around making plays out of thin air (trust me, I recognize RW's skill in this regard and think he is a phenomenal player who is partially responsible for the Hawks' 7-1 record), while Kap has been practically perfect 4 games this season and has thrown the intermediate and deep ball throws better than most QBs in the league.

And Gore's season has been leaps and bounds better than his stats. The guy is the best pass blocker in the game at the RB position. Ask any respectable NFL analyst and they would say Goee is having the best all around season at the position.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but Kaepernick is the most mentally limited QB I've seen this year. His inability to get to his second read is rather astonishing and when the first read isn't there he a) looks to run or b) looks like a fish out of water when trying to maintain composure. The only time I've ever seen him "go through a progression" is on designed look-offs when they want to hit the seam route to the TE (basically to hold the safety).

And don't give me the "he audibles a lot" crap. Harbaugh has multiple play calls and that call changes depending on the (pre-snap) Safety look. This isn't some magical Kaepernick is pulling a Manning situation. I've had numerous conversations with Stanford players who have emphasized that Harbaugh makes life as easy as possible for his QBs by emphasizing the pre-snap game, which 99% falls on the coaching staff.

Kaepernick is uber talented, but he's an extremely limited QB, when it comes to the mental side and the subtle nuances. Sure, he can hit an open first read, can run, and has a cannon, but there is a reason that every football person (Dilfer, Young, etc) is quick to point out that "he needs to learn to play QB because the legs are not always going to be there."

I get it. You are a 49er fan and believe in your guy. I don't fault you for that. But don't bring this drivel about "clearly being a better QB," when the numbers don't add up and the "eye test" clearly doesn't match up.

Both RW and Kaepernick have bright futures if they learn to play from the pocket and improve the nuances of being a QB. The legs are not always going to be there to bail them out.

SoHo9erFan":knld9ru2 said:
drrew":knld9ru2 said:
SoHo9erFan":knld9ru2 said:
I agree Wilson's performance probably fell between his QBR and his passer rating. But I don't understand how people on here think Wilson is still performing at a high level. Notwithstanding the injuries to two bookend tackles, Wilson and the Hawks offense is still struggling. People on here need to reconsider this whole Wilson+Lynch=best combo in the league. Kap and Gore have looked better this season.

You really think 57% passing 1584 YDS 9TD 5INT 294 yards rushing looks better than 61% passing, 1628YDS 13TD 4INT 339 yards rushing?

At RB, Gore has a whopping 17 more yards and 1 more TD rushing, while Lynch has 85 yards more receiving and a receiving TD.

In what universe does the 49ers duo look better than what Wilson and Lynch have put up this season?

That doesn't even take into account the unbalanced schedule where Seattle has 5 homes games in the 2nd half of the season. I understand liking your team, but your claim is just silly.
You conspicuously ignored Kap's TD runs. You thought to mention rushing yards but not TDs? I agree that rushing TDs can be deceiving when using that stat as a tool to measure performance, but all of Kap's TD runs were by design and he really demonstrated his athletic ability on those TDs. So really Kap has 12 TDs to 5 picks-- which is obviously still not as impressive as Wilson's 13 TD and 4 picks...

But these numbers also don't define a QB. Kap is playing perfectly within the 49ers system these past weeks and looked like the best QB in the league Week 1 against the Packers. Kap has done all of this without a viable receiving threat outside the hashes. I've watched every Seahawks game and 49ers game and it's pretty clear Kap is more of an NFL QB than Wilson. Maybe when Okung and Gio return RW might be able to show he can stand in the pocket and be a QB, but until then Wilson is running around making plays out of thin air (trust me, I recognize RW's skill in this regard and think he is a phenomenal player who is partially responsible for the Hawks' 7-1 record), while Kap has been practically perfect 4 games this season and has thrown the intermediate and deep ball throws better than most QBs in the league.

And Gore's season has been leaps and bounds better than his stats. The guy is the best pass blocker in the game at the RB position. Ask any respectable NFL analyst and they would say Goee is having the best all around season at the position.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":3v363nn6 said:

The bold is really false. See week 2.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Kaepernick is seemingly limited to single reads or maybe 2. It maybe well that is all he has with the terrible receiving corps. Bolden was exposed by Seattle he can dominate small DBs but against bigger ones he is an old receiver. Davis is well Davis IMO the best at his position. Will he improve ? I don't see him as another Ponder or Freeman. I see him getting better. He is just at 1 yr of play remember

However I see RW as one of a kind that can win games by skill and his refuse to lose mentality

formido

Reaction score
Passer rating differential is the difference between your team's passer rating and the passer rating you hold your opponent to. Since 1940, 36% of NFL champions were ranked #1 in passer rating differential. This year Seattle is ranked #1, and after holding St. Louis under 40, actually increased their lead.

I'm not sure St. Louis pass rush was better than Arizona's last week, but Wilson was more cautious. He got a lot of criticism for his fumbles last week. You can't have it all. If you play conservative to avoid fumbles, you can't focus all your attention on standing strong in the pocket and making plays down field. We have a pick your poison offensive line, and unfortunately we're the ones drinking the poison.

McGruff

Reaction score
A rare interesting tidbit from ESPN's terry Blount . . .

Wilson threw two TD passes to Golden Tate, including a catch-and-run 80-yard score that was the difference in the game. It was the longest touchdown pass in Wilson’s career. He was 5-for-6 for two touchdowns when connecting with Tate. Wilson was 5-for-12 when throwing to anyone else

nanomoz

Reaction score
Most of this thread can be summed up with:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 454

Latest posts