Wilson...what have you done for me lately?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'm not really speaking to how the Seahawks use the media. I'm sure they do. I'm sure they were behind the character assassination of Percy Harvin earlier this year.

I just choose not to believe this particular story as it makes no sense to release this story given the current "trust" focus of the team and the fact that Carroll just recently stepped out of character to convince his lockerroom that they weren't "getting out in the media" as Lynch would say.

TXHawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":3ibwyxlx said:
My thoughts exactly, Pe. There is little downside in us NOT extending Wilson. IF Wilson's people will be seeking 20 mil per, I don't predict a bevy of teams getting in that line. We all love Wilson, we all want him back, but his success with this team doesn't ascertain equaled success with just any team.

Worst case is actually best case. Say Wilson refocuses his entirety on fine tuning his craft this off season, comes in next year and just lights it up. Obviously that improvement will translate to wins and we will be quick to open the wallet and reward him handily. Sure we run the risk of a bidding war, but I doubt the number will exceed what we would be paying him with an extension, anyway

There's a lot of potential downside to not extending Wilson. There's a reason that teams lock up franchise QBs early and never let them sniff free agency because those types of QBs have all the leverage. There just aren't enough quality QBs to go around and if you lose one it may take years to replace him. The only franchise QB in recent memory to become available on the free agent market was Peyton Manning and that was only because of four neck surgeries and the Colts getting Andrew Luck in the draft.

You're kidding yourself if you don't think there would be a ton of interest in Russell Wilson if he became available. A bidding war would drive his salary up, not down, so I'm not understanding your thinking that this would be a good negotiating strategy to hold down his salary. Makes no sense.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
pehawk":265r46pr said:
Scottemojo":265r46pr said:
Fact: The source for the story is not a Seahawk front office guy. The source is Mike Florio. I'm not kidding. It's like the New York Post using the National Enquirer as a story source.

You would learn more from the comments at PFT than you will from this non story.

Hmm, I disagree. PFT first reported the story, but, PFT has been reliable with this regime. Remember my nonsense last week saying the Seahawks use NFL insider types to their advantage? Welp, I think that's what this is.

I see nothing wrong with the story, it makes sense. This has been Wilson's worst year as a pro, IMO. Even throwing Percy out of the mix, he's just been off, a lot.

I both like and appreciate this report.
Probably both you and spindoctor LOL.
That'd have to be a really lonesome feeling.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The story is stupid as shit.
You'd have to be gullible as hell to take this stuff seriously.
Just ask yourselves these questions,
1. WHO's out there that you could replace Wilson with?
2. Why would you try'n "Cheap" your Franchise Quarterback?

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
The "league source" could be a ball-boy's mother. This story is a pile of stinking dog ****. Wilson is our franchise qb. He will be the frachise qb for whatever team he plays for for th rest of his career (Seattle).

AgentDib

Reaction score
I don't buy this story either. It doesn't make sense as an intentional leak and I don't believe it was unintentional given the much bigger stories they have successfully hid. I'm sure the actual nugget behind the story is completely true in the same way that is for Brady and Manning also, but turning it into a story is the bullshit part. There's no conspiracy about the Seahawks or anything, we just make for good click-bait given the personalities involved and our status as defending champs.

I think almost all of the interest around Wilson's contract is driven by fan angst right now but is actually not (yet) an issue. Fans are pricing him too high because they like him and severely undervalue the leverage that having one more year at $700k provides. His number is going to be a lot more reasonable and we are going to have no problem paying it with our current cap situation let alone what the figure will probably rise to next year. The only thing that would cause me concern on is if I thought Wilson's camp was leaking holdout rumors. If those rumors start it may be tough to filter out the click-bait journalism.

hawk45

Reaction score
pehawk said:
I'm still waiting for an example of PFT's leniency with facts. I'm not saying they're a gold standard for journalism, but, I've never seen examples of their exaggeration of facts (at least anymore than 99.99% of the rest of the media). I do know that the fact they rose to legitimacy, gaining fairly standard press relations and credentials, really rubbed a lot of our local Seahawks guys the wrongs way. I saw ALOT of jealousy.[/quote

The offseason is when Florio is really at it, but googling it I found an old Florio article where he took one fact, Randy Moss appearing to dog a play while on the Pats, and turned it into an imaginary face-off between Bill Belichick and Brett Favre with a straight face. Seriously, knowing nothing but that Moss dogged a play, he had this entire opera spun up.

There's Florio taking a few seconds of a tape where Aaron Rodgers appeared to have snubbed a Packers fan who was a cancer patient and crapping all over Rodgers, only to have the fan publicly rebuke it and state that Aaron did actually sign something for her.

Look at the current page where he takes the fact of Baalke's daughter tweeting something negative about Roman and jumps straight to Baalke must be saying negative things about Roman with no evidence whatsoever. Sure that's a possibility, and I'm sure Niner fans are wondering, but speculation like that is irresponsible, transparent sensationalism and doesn't paint a picture of a guy who would hesitate to run with something even if it came from a league source nowhere near the Seahawks.

I don't know that he has outright lied, but trying to pump something up into a bigger story that came from who-knows-what source? Definitely a well-used part of the repertoire.

Now, do I think he's *much* worse than the rest of the media? Well...dammit...touche on that one. But I'm not sure that equates to trustworthy.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
pehawk":3m1flnxw said:
I'm not saying they shouldn't resign him or wont. And yes, it's my opinion this has been his worst year as passer. That's not to say he's bad, he's still great, but it's been the lessor of his three "great" years. He's missed a lot of balls that he really hasn't the first three years.

I'm not sure why this topic gets everybody's panties in such a bunch. You literally cant discuss it rationally from a how much is he worth perspective or dare to point out areas he needs to improve. Look how tantrumey this article will undoubtedly make this community.
Panties bunched up? Nah.... You're a bit defensive arguing for Florin and I get it.
I'm usually with you Pe but this assumption that JS and PA is putting a light under RW'S seat is difficult to believe.
RW is JS' s favorite son. He is probably PC and PA's favorite and MOST MARKETABLE player as well.
Given all the distractions and adversity Wilson has endured this year (which obviously isn't over) this supposed leak would mean the Schneid is contributing to more distractions for RW? JS and PC have a trusting open relationship with Wilson AND not extending even an average offer is foolishness since it breaks the trust this FO has built with it's favorite son. This FO already knows the offense is operating with few star talents outside RW. They know the O line and receivers are an inconsistent group. They know Wilson MUST contribute to the running game because of our reliance on an ailing Lynch. Contrary to what some think RW'S playing style does NOT deter future coaching prospects from signing with Seattle. RW has proven to be versatile in learning different offenses and he is an elite play maker as many opposing coaches have commented.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
This team (players and coach) has been stating that the media is fabricating stories which seems the case given the source. They have since found their focus. Now this story which has NO bearing on the season threatens to become a distraction for this team and I'm suppose to believe it was leaked by the FO namely the Schneid?
I'm more inclined to believe players and coaches before I believe a journalist who can fabricate stories on a whim then claim they cited an anonymous insider.

hawk35fan

Reaction score
I bet Buffalo would be willing to trade. He would be the missing puzzle piece that would make them legit contenders. In all seriousness, I can't see the Seahawks wanting to create another distraction while trying to make the playoffs. It is starting to feel like the media and the league really don't want the Seahawks in the playoff picture.

sturg78

Reaction score
No one in their right kind would give him up, but what would someone have to offer us for him? Payton brees Brady love triangle super babies? All of a teams draft picks. Forever.