Wilson...what have you done for me lately?

Anthony!

Reaction score
pehawk":2o2s4ygc said:
So, just to be clear, you're saying Florio just made this up? It's 100% him making something up?

Yeah, sorry, no offense but I don't believe he'd do that. I appreciate PFT for what it is mostly, but I'm not going to work under the assumption he just made up something. Especially make up something with an org that his given him GEMS (Minny treated Tjack like isht being one example) and he has a good working relationship with. He just made something up and risked future leads on stories?

Seems legit.

Made up or not I am thinking something like, We will start talks with Wilson when the season is over which will depend on the playoffs, and Florio decided to make what he wanted out of it, in other words not take it out of context but make it out of context. Sorry I do not buy it, at all.

pehawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":21pqkaf9 said:
pehawk":21pqkaf9 said:
So, just to be clear, you're saying Florio just made this up? It's 100% him making something up?

Yeah, sorry, no offense but I don't believe he'd do that. I appreciate PFT for what it is mostly, but I'm not going to work under the assumption he just made up something. Especially make up something with an org that his given him GEMS (Minny treated Tjack like isht being one example) and he has a good working relationship with. He just made something up and risked future leads on stories?

Seems legit.

Made up or not I am thinking something like, We will start talks with Wilson when the season is over which will depend on the playoffs, and Florio decided to make what he wanted out of it, in other words not take it out of context but make it out of context. Sorry I do not buy it, at all.

Well, of course you don't. But your opinion on this matter is about as unbiased as Hitler's on the merit of Hanukkah. You should check out the smack shack someday.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":1xvtdcre said:
Anthony!":1xvtdcre said:
pehawk":1xvtdcre said:

Seems legit.

Well, of course you don't. But your opinion on this matter is about as unbiased as Hitler's on the merit of Hanukkah. You should check out the smack shack someday.

Ug2xBjZ

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":f0a2704d said:
pehawk":f0a2704d said:
Scottemojo":f0a2704d said:
Fact: The source for the story is not a Seahawk front office guy. The source is Mike Florio. I'm not kidding. It's like the New York Post using the National Enquirer as a story source.

You would learn more from the comments at PFT than you will from this non story.

Hmm, I disagree. PFT first reported the story, but, PFT has been reliable with this regime. Remember my nonsense last week saying the Seahawks use NFL insider types to their advantage? Welp, I think that's what this is.

I see nothing wrong with the story, it makes sense. This has been Wilson's worst year as a pro, IMO. Even throwing Percy out of the mix, he's just been off, a lot.

I both like and appreciate this report.

My thoughts exactly, Pe. There is little downside in us NOT extending Wilson. IF Wilson's people will be seeking 20 mil per, I don't predict a bevy of teams getting in that line. We all love Wilson, we all want him back, but his success with this team doesn't ascertain equaled success with just any team.

Worst case is actually best case. Say Wilson refocuses his entirety on fine tuning his craft this off season, comes in next year and just lights it up. Obviously that improvement will translate to wins and we will be quick to open the wallet and reward him handily. Sure we run the risk of a bidding war, but I doubt the number will exceed what we would be paying him with an extension, anyway.

And then there is also the possibility the FO has every intention of getting him extended, but leaking such stuff as part of the chess match. Nobody has been more critical (here) of the FO than myself. I would applaud this tactic, appreciating we are operating within a window. NOT extending the cuddly one will likely get more production from him next year than extending him would. That could translate to another championship for us and there should be no higher priority than that, imo. .
There is tremendous downside to not extending the guy next yeat, unless you don't think Wilson is the man for the job( he is btw). There's a reason teams don't let franchise quarterbacks hit the FA markert. Unless Seattle has someone else in mind, give RW whatever it takes to lock him up long-term this off-season.

Anthony!

Reaction score
pehawk":1j6zevqa said:
Anthony!":1j6zevqa said:
pehawk":1j6zevqa said:

Seems legit.

Dude I do not buy it because there are no fact to support it. Nothing an unnamed league source? Really not a Hawks source a league source. This from a team that hid they had been shopping Harvin for at least a week, and it did not hit until after a trade was done. A team that hid Wilson was playing injured the last 3rd of the season. Really but this leaks? Hat to tell you I am more unbiased then you are right now. Again what proof? Given all the above I have little doubt that this is BS, and a lot of assuming. Also FYI The guys on 710 and KJY did not even know about it. That seems a bit too odd for me. Not to mention you seem to be praying its true which put you impartiality into question.

jlaff35

Reaction score
It may not be that crazy. First of all, it's not a bad negotiating ploy to float something like this out there, just as a check to Wilson's agent as a way to say "you don't just automatically have a blank check here". Second of all, it doesn't mean we wouldn't give RW a long term extension, just that we may make him prove it one more year rather than being backed into a corner like the Bengals were with Dalton, the Niners are with Kaep, and the Ravens were with Flacco. Next year is the first time we're ABLE to give an extension, but he's still under contract for next year.

Now, if I'm RW's agent, RW is holding out no questions asked, as he has done everything you could ever want a young 3rd round QB to do, both on and off the field. The Hawks won't want it to get messy and end up in a holdout situation, and the deal will get done. So yes this story is crap, but it's not unheard of in terms of NFL negotiating.

My take? Pay the man whatever he wants

pehawk

Reaction score
You haven't been reading my posts, obviously. Because I addressed all of that, clearly.

But hey, who am I to keep you from tilting your windmill with your "lance".

seedhawk

Reaction score
Rationally, I have a few thoughts about this.

1) RW is damn near the perfect Qb for PC's system. (reference Hass and TJ as examples) Point guard and all that locked hand in hand with tremendous hard hitting defense. Protect the ball at all times, take what is given, maximize you're downfield chances if you can. So, do we go find a PC clone if we lock RW up long term? Because RW's game is NOT what many coaches want. (fact of life)

2) Perhaps more importantly, sure, RW is basically playing for peanuts, NOW! However, how he performs now sets his value going forward. Just WHAT is that value. (have seen anywhere from 10-22M just on this board) Depends on the team I would suspect.

3) We as a team do have options. We can opt to extend him as soon as we can. We could also just let it play out and Franchise him. That opens 2 options. Or, we could pass on the extension of his current deal, and move on to a totally new contract.

None of this is about if we keep RW or not. Actually, it is about HOW we go about keeping him, and perhaps, for how long.

Anthony!

Reaction score
jlaff35":23hvs8u9 said:
It may not be that crazy. First of all, it's not a bad negotiating ploy to float something like this out there, just as a check to Wilson's agent as a way to say "you don't just automatically have a blank check here". Second of all, it doesn't mean we wouldn't give RW a long term extension, just that we may make him prove it one more year rather than being backed into a corner like the Bengals were with Dalton, the Niners are with Kaep, and the Ravens were with Flacco. Next year is the first time we're ABLE to give an extension, but he's still under contract for next year.

Now, if I'm RW's agent, RW is holding out no questions asked, as he has done everything you could ever want a young 3rd round QB to do, both on and off the field. The Hawks won't want it to get messy and end up in a holdout situation, and the deal will get done. So yes this story is crap, but it's not unheard of in terms of NFL negotiating.

My take? Pay the man whatever he wants

I can buy that but I am still not convinced this came from anyone who really knows. If they do not sign Wilson after this season, he will hold out and only come back if they take the tag off the table which means we loose Wilson. They are not that dumb. Also add the price tag could go up.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":2wmiu604 said:
I can buy that but I am still not convinced this came from anyone who really knows. If they do not sign Wilson after this season, he will hold out and only come back if they take the tag off the table which means we loose Wilson. They are not that dumb. Also add the price tag could go up.

Honest question here. If Wilson becomes a FA in 2016 and signs with another team, would you go and support them? Not trying to stir crap or anything, just a genuine question.

Anthony!

Reaction score
seedhawk":2tnt6svk said:
Rationally, I have a few thoughts about this.

1) RW is damn near the perfect Qb for PC's system. (reference Hass and TJ as examples) Point guard and all that locked hand in hand with tremendous hard hitting defense. Protect the ball at all times, take what is given, maximize you're downfield chances if you can. So, do we go find a PC clone if we lock RW up long term? Because RW's game is NOT what many coaches want. (fact of life)

2) Perhaps more importantly, sure, RW is basically playing for peanuts, NOW! However, how he performs now sets his value going forward. Just WHAT is that value. (have seen anywhere from 10-22M just on this board) Depends on the team I would suspect.

3) We as a team do have options. We can opt to extend him as soon as we can. We could also just let it play out and Franchise him. That opens 2 options. Or, we could pass on the extension of his current deal, and move on to a totally new contract.

None of this is about if we keep RW or not. Actually, it is about HOW we go about keeping him, and perhaps, for how long.

So lets start with 1-there have already been several teams that have said they would love Wilson. As to Rw game not being what many coaches want, I disagree, he has shown he can play in the pocket, out of the pocket, running, or anything. That thought process is incorrect.

2. I can agree his value is in question but I believe 18-20 mil

3. We do have options to a point, but realize that the options we choose will dictate the rest. For instance we do not extend him, he holds out(for sure), then come back under the agreement we do not use the tag on him. We have now shown our team we do not take care of out most important players on offense anyway. Of course if he comes back with no deal and not being able to be tagged we could loose him or have to over pay. I think loose him.

Hence why this coming out now make little sense at all.

Anthony!

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2ni5tu3o said:
Anthony!":2ni5tu3o said:

Honest question here. If Wilson becomes a FA in 2016 and signs with another team, would you go and support them? Not trying to stir crap or anything, just a genuine question.

I will always be a Hawks fan first, but I will follow Wilson and hope he plays well against everyone but us. He is not the first payer on the Hawks I really liked that left.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":3lzkksz2 said:
SomersetHawk":3lzkksz2 said:
Anthony!":3lzkksz2 said:

I will always be a Hawks fan first, but I will follow Wilson and hope he plays well against everyone but us. He is not the first payer on the Hawks I really liked that left.

Holy crap, did we cut him?

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":25d4lgpb said:
I am often wrong.

Maybe Florio heard it from Silver who heard it from Lynch.

I think this rumor is both silly and likely bogus, however I agree with Pehawk on both his points. Florio's "gut feel" style of reporting has proven surprisingly accurate in the past, and I also agree with Pehawk's theory about PC/JS using the media with intended leaks.

Rob and I experienced that method first hand when we received some misleading info before the 2012 draft (and also some accurate info). That's not to say the source was wrong, but the source was probably fed false info that was spread around the VMAC. After that draft, there was a story about JS congratulating his guys about keeping secrets in house.

I think JS showed his newbishness his first couple years on the job. Accurate info was leaking out too easily, and he also got schooled on a couple trades, namely the CBJ deal. But since then he's learned from his mistakes and he's one shrewd sumbitch. Anything that leaks out now I am compelled to believe was intentional on JS's part, and in pretty much every case, the rumor helps serve the FO in some negotiation or political way. Cui bono, and all that.

Course, in this case it's a league source, which at most means it's speculation from a FO guy on a different team. Which wouldn't be that much more meaningful than Florio pulling it out of his ass, really.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Eh, I don't believe anything that's coming out. This has been a weird year; these leaks and the frequency of them are atypical. I don't think it's a coincidence that these stories have constantly come out weekly on gameday mornings since the Harvin trade. I think there are people in the league who have an axe to grind against the Seahawks organization and are using all of their available league connections to cause disruption on a weekly basis. Maybe Harvin's agent, maybe someone else. Just my opinion.

This team is on a "trust each other" bender right now that's being backed 100% by Carroll. He's not going to let this nonsense undermine that while it's creating tangible benefits for his team. This ain't coming from Seattle.

pehawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":15ay060w said:
Eh, I don't believe anything that's coming out. This has been a weird year; these leaks and the frequency of them are atypical. I don't think it's a coincidence that these stories have constantly come out weekly on gameday mornings since the Harvin trade. I think there are people in the league who have an axe to grind against the Seahawks organization and are using all of their available league connections to cause disruption on a weekly basis. Maybe Harvin's agent, maybe someone else. Just my opinion.

This team is on a "trust each other" bender right now that's being backed 100% by Carroll. He's not going to let this nonsense undermine that while it's creating tangible benefits for his team. This ain't coming from Seattle.

The only leaks from the biggies have been messages the Seahawks want to get out there. B/R did a report about the "black enough" thing, but, that's not PFT/Mort/King/Schefter. Unless I'm missing one?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
pehawk":oa619n26 said:
DavidSeven":oa619n26 said:

The only leaks from the biggies have been messages the Seahawks want to get out there. B/R did a report about the "black enough" thing, but, that's not PFT/Mort/King/Schefter. Unless I'm missing one?

Never confirmed that the weekly Lynch stories were leaked internally. Carroll took it upon himself to contradict those reports himself through USA Today. Why would he do that if it was info he wanted out there?

pmedic920

Reaction score
grizbob":39di41yh said:
Sounds to me like the "reporter" has a dog named league source and bases his "reporting" on the response he gets from his dog when he asks questions: like do you think Seattle will offer Wilson an extension if they don't go deep in the playoffs?
woof woof, OK that's a no :lol:

He reads BleacherReport.

StoneCold

Reaction score
pehawk":25hplku4 said:
Scottemojo":25hplku4 said:
pehawk":25hplku4 said:
Scottemojo":25hplku4 said:
Fact: The source for the story is not a Seahawk front office guy. The source is Mike Florio. I'm not kidding. It's like the New York Post using the National Enquirer as a story source.

You would learn more from the comments at PFT than you will from this non story.

Hmm, I disagree. PFT first reported the story, but, PFT has been reliable with this regime. Remember my nonsense last week saying the Seahawks use NFL insider types to their advantage? Welp, I think that's what this is.

I see nothing wrong with the story, it makes sense. This has been Wilson's worst year as a pro, IMO. Even throwing Percy out of the mix, he's just been off, a lot.

I both like and appreciate this report.

Not this one. I read the story, it is based of Florio saying the Seahawks MAY do something after the season is over depending on the results of the season. That is a water is wet kind of statement. Seattle can't do anything about Russ til the season ends anyway, and clearly what they do could be affected by a number of events still to be determined. Florio never claimed a source, he just spun what is clearly true.

I think is this regime using the media to motivate, as they tend to do. Agree to disagree, because you're wrong.

Regardless of the credibility, or lack there of, It doesn't really seem like a story as it just states the obvious. Of course whatever they offer RW will be dependent on the body of his work. How is that even a story?

SC

pehawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1ylc1k8y said:
pehawk":1ylc1k8y said:
DavidSeven":1ylc1k8y said:

Never confirmed that the weekly Lynch stories were leaked internally. Carroll took it upon himself to contradict those reports himself through USA Today. Why would he do that if it was info he wanted out there?

The Lynch story is an entirely different animal. It's also not one particular story either. That's been something everyone's assumed for two years now, that Lynch wouldn't see the last year of his deal. Lynch and Lynch's agent know that, hence the hold out this year. Also, no one wrote a story saying "an unnamed Seahawks source said they wont retain him next year".

That doesn't relate to how Seattle has used the media.