Wilson on Carrolls comment about wanting him to check down

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Maybe Pete should check the mirror. He has flat out lost this team. Period.
I'm not interested in hearing what he wants. Or listening to him act like everything is peachy. I'm interesting in seeing him ADJUST. I'm interested in him putting his players in check and having some damn discipline. Sometime this century would be nice too........

CAPS LOCK

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":vssa6rw0 said:
Welp, you have it here, folks:

Russ didn't $h!t the bed in the second half of last year, and this guys VOLUME STATS prove it, apparently.

Try actually looking with your eyes for once, my guy. This is worse than when Andrew Luck fans tried to convince me he was better than Russ because he had more yards.

PS: You SURE you want to do it for turnovers? Because he was tied for the third most picks thrown in the league last year.

That'd mean something if I was a Facebook-level commenter and listed volume stats as a primary indicator of ability, which they aren't.

He's a quarterback, not a deity.

He has flaws. He exacerbates them by stubbornly adhering to a harder, less efficient way of playing football. People criticized Pete for that for years. Russ deserves the same criticism.

No one does it alone. Every single quarterback needs a supporting cast. Russell won't get anywhere by refusing to use it to his advantage. He needs to get the ball out on time and reliably. He needs to stop spinning out of the pocket, because he can't get away with it as often anymore. He needs to stop looking off perfectly good targets for low percentage passes so the chains can move.

That doesn't mean that I am saying that he's bad or judging him unfairly in any way. The team has been built around Russell. That comes with responsibility, and when he falls short, it's game on to point out the things that he needs to do better. Acting like that takes anything away from him is weirdly cultish. This isn't a religion, Russell isn't an idol, and pointing out his issues is not sin.

You're right. He's a Quarterback, and a HUMAN being. Keyword on human being.

Meaning, we should treat, and judge human beings fairly. Without biases, without agendas, and without spewing non-facts.

It's not MY stats. It's THE stats. You seem very committed to crapping on Russ though. Are you sure this is about his play? Because you're unwilling to actually argue the logic of what is being argued. Again, Russ' overall performance for 2020 was great. If he crapped the bed in the 2nd half of 2020 (he didn't, see the Jets, 49ers, and Cardinals game), then other QBs crapped the bed as well. Since most other "good" to great QBs didn't even approach 35 TDs. If your argument is that Rodgers outperformed him? So did Josh Allen. But Brady had close to as many turnovers for the year. And Russ hasn't even exceeded Mahomes, Brady, or Brees total turnovers for a season. Third most picks in a year is a weak argument.

Try JUDGING players fairly my guy. TREAT THEM like human beings, not a punching bag you get to spew nonsense about. I have a brain, just like you and I'm willing to actually debate the facts. If you want to do comparisons, we should do so in a fair and respectful way. I come on here and talk about the throws Russ missed, where he could have done better. And I've praised Pete at different points. On the other end you're consistently anti-Russ. That's not fair minded thinking.

Russ has flaws. But which flaw is it? Is it that he doesn't stay in the pocket? Oh wait, he did that under Schottenheimer since 2018. The actual numbers...show that?

Oh, is it that he doesn't score on opening drives and isn't smart enough to run coordinated plays? That was the criticism pre-2017. Remember the criticism that he was only good in the second half/4th quarter because defenses were tired and he was padding stats? Despite the game winning drives? Lol I do.

We also used to be poor in the red zone, and that was apparently because Russ can't think quickly enough in the red zone. Then Schotty came in, and we became amongst the best in opening drives, and in the red zone.

What's the other flaw? Is it that he "disappears" in the 2nd half of the season? Even though he carried a bad defense in the 1st half? And even though Pete ADMITTED to interfering? Okay, ignore those facts. But under Bevell, Russ was considered a "slow starter" and a strong finisher in November and December. What narrative will be invented next? That Russ can't adjust to the second half under Waldron? Lol. I watch the games buddy, and have watched (and re-watched) every single Seahawks game in the past 12+ years. And I've seen the QB you dislike so much, have a different narrative painted against him year by year. He knocks one down, you invent a new one.

There is a difference between pointing out issues, and nitpicking. Or just flat out going full Pete Prisco.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
NINEster":an8yh1bt said:
hoxrox":an8yh1bt said:
TwistedHusky":an8yh1bt said:
Many of us wonder just how good Wilson can be in a system that better leverages his strengths and focuses on the offense. (Like if Payton was Wilson's coach).

I don't know. A lot of people cite Payton as an offensive genius. But he would probably just tell Wilson to hand the ball off to Alvin Kamara, or the take the check down to Darren Sproles.

That offense operated as well as it did because they used the entire field, and ALL their play makers. It didn't rely on Drew Brees to make heroic throws to 1-2 receivers all day.

Correct.

But man, that 2011 Saints team was something else. Brees was just an unbelievable machine that made all the throws imaginable, a top OC's dream.

Got to remember, that a very mobile QB is a nice thing to have but by their very nature they have to resist playing within the system to an extent (unless that system is the current Lamar Ravens or old RG3 Redskins).

Wilson likes the hero ball because that's what he's best at.
People can wonder all they want about how good Russell would be in another system, but Russell is gonna look the same in any system. Russell plays how Russell plays. Simple as that. He might show spurts of playing 'in system', but when you're under pressure you inevitably revert to what is most comfortable. Russell is 10 years and is generally considered a top 5 QB, he's not changing anything. I'm convinced that if you held an anonymous poll of offensive coordinators and offensive minded head coaches asking hard questions about Russell's game, the results wouldn't be as glowing as people think.

chris98251

Reaction score
I Wilson does not throw the slants, curls and deep and intermediate Middle here what makes you think he will somewhere else. The hole in his game is 25 yards across and 30 yards deep.

He is not a complete QB until he can make those audibles and then the throws.

Teams know he rarely will do it and are now planning inside out defense on him and have the sideline as an extra defender because of it.

That's either a mental block, immaturity as a QB, or fear, or he can't see and read it.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
chris98251":s7eabo3w said:
I Wilson does not throw the slants, curls and deep and intermediate Middle here what makes you think he will somewhere else. The hole in his game is 25 yards across and 30 yards deep.

Teams know he rarely will do it and are not planning inside out defense on him and have the sideline as an extra defender because of it.

That's either a mental block, immaturity as a QB, or fear, or he can't see and read it.
I think it starts as an aversion to mistakes as a young QB. Just listen to Manning tonight. He talks about it with Hurts. Throws outside are safe. Play calls are gonna lean that way with younger QBs until they learn to read what open is in the middle and when/where to throw it. Starts as fear/caution and for Russell I just think he had enough other physical skills to get away with not doing it. The problem with that is if you want to be the QB of a heavy pass oriented offensive lead football team, you can't skip that part of the game. Even if it is for only parts of games. That's a massive area of the field that defenses don't have to worry about. The game gets way easier for defenses if they can eliminate portions of the field.

https://www.hawkblogger.com/2021/09/the ... -loss.html

I don't read these guys stuff much, but he mentions something in this little write up about the Pete/Russ conflict. He says paraphrasing, that Rogers (Russ's agent) is in Russell's ear telling him Pete's holding him back and at the same time, Pete and John are hearing from players that Russ is holding them back? I know Russ's agent has been doing that for a while now, but I haven't heard anything about the other thing? Anyone head that. I can't imagine that not getting talked about if true.

misfit

Reaction score
chris98251":159cmxel said:

Teams know he rarely will do it and are now planning inside out defense on him and have the sideline as an extra defender because of it.

I'm curious to hear who you think are complete qbs in the league.

What a insult

chris98251

Reaction score
misfit":1asfnshl said:
chris98251":1asfnshl said:

What a insult

Brady to start with Stafford another, Rodgers, there are more but thats a good start.

Wilson has a 25 by 30 yard hole in his game period.

Boycie

Reaction score
NINEster":3hdim4ep said:
hoxrox":3hdim4ep said:
TwistedHusky":3hdim4ep said:
Many of us wonder just how good Wilson can be in a system that better leverages his strengths and focuses on the offense. (Like if Payton was Wilson's coach).

I don't know. A lot of people cite Payton as an offensive genius. But he would probably just tell Wilson to hand the ball off to Alvin Kamara, or the take the check down to Darren Sproles.

That offense operated as well as it did because they used the entire field, and ALL their play makers. It didn't rely on Drew Brees to make heroic throws to 1-2 receivers all day.

Correct.

But man, that 2011 Saints team was something else. Brees was just an unbelievable machine that made all the throws imaginable, a top OC's dream.

Got to remember, that a very mobile QB is a nice thing to have but by their very nature they have to resist playing within the system to an extent (unless that system is the current Lamar Ravens or old RG3 Redskins).

Wilson likes the hero ball because that's what he's best at.

Difference between Russ and Brees is, Brees would step up in the pocket. Russ runs from the pocket and scrambles which is not as sustainable.

misfit

Reaction score
chris98251":19cba04l said:
misfit":19cba04l said:
chris98251":19cba04l said:

What a insult

Brady to start with Stafford another, Rodgers, there are more but thats a good start.

Matt Stafford w/ his 2 to 1 TD to Int ratio and 90 QB rating and 0 playoff wins? That Matt Stafford

the stafford that went years and couldn't beat any teams with winning records?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
chris98251":341ua94c said:

It used to be that defenses couldn't leave a gaping hole in that part of the field, due to the threat of Wilson taking advantage of it with his legs. Used to be

misfit

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1u1jcarr said:
chris98251":1u1jcarr said:

It used to be that defenses couldn't leave a gaping hole in that part of the field, due to the threat of Wilson taking advantage of it with his legs. Used to be

thats been coached out of Russ

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Whether due to coaching, or aging, the hole isn't being filled. If he can't fill it with his legs, he needs to fill it with his arm, and we have 8 years of him not filling that hole with his arm.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
misfit":3cr04n1w said:
bigskydoc":3cr04n1w said:
chris98251":3cr04n1w said:

Hasn't been coached out or Russ, it's called age.

We've already seen it 3-4 times this year where his patented spin out move hasn't worked, almost a safety in the Titan game.

IMO Russ is a much more complete QB than he was back in those run around and make play days, but make no mistake it has nothing to do with coaching. Dude's getting older.

misfit

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ft1o6168 said:
misfit":ft1o6168 said:
bigskydoc":ft1o6168 said:
chris98251":ft1o6168 said:

We've already seen it 3-4 times this year where his patented spin out move hasn't worked, almost a safety in the Titan game.

IMO Russ is a much more complete QB than he was back in those run around and make play days, but make no mistake it has nothing to do with coaching. Dude's getting older.

Maybe youre right.

I thought when he came in much leaner this year. He was gonna be more mobile and they have been rolling him out a little more and moving the pocket and teams know how to defend him more, but he doesnt take off or even keep on the read options.

chris98251

Reaction score
misfit":28cz6gf1 said:
Sgt. Largent":28cz6gf1 said:
misfit":28cz6gf1 said:
bigskydoc":28cz6gf1 said:

Maybe youre right.

I thought when he came in much leaner this year. He was gonna be more mobile and they have been rolling him out a little more and moving the pocket and teams know how to defend him more, but he doesnt take off or even keep on the read options.

Leaner yes, but also as his body ages, his value increases he takes less risks. Probably also told to play in the pocket till you can't versus survive at all costs.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
LTH":2v89d07g said:
https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1441125662559924228?s=20

Russell Wilson was asked about Carroll's statement that he wished Wilson had checked down on the first-down play in OT Sunday. Asked if he agreed with Carroll's assessment Wilson said "I think what I agree with is trying to find a way to win the game.'' ... Wilson noted the pass was just 3-4 inches from being complete and "I'm not gonna change my mindset'' and that he knows how to win games in those situations. ... -Bob Condotta

very interesting... sounds very defensive to me...

LTH

He should learn how to check down Moving the Chains does it really matter how you score or that you do score the only time he absolutely checks down is at the end of a hopeless game why the hell didn't he go deep on the last plays of the game?