Wilson in the pocket

ivotuk

Reaction score
Willie McGinest 2013: "News Flash! Russell Wilson is good from inside the pocket too!"

Love Willie, smart man, doesn't allow past loyalties to color his commentary, and is smart in every way. The NFL needs more like him.

So this storyline that Russell can't throw from the pocket is nothing new.

This just in! Brock Osweiler missing open receivers and getting his passes tipped at the line of scrimmage! Diagnosis? Too short and can't play from within the pocket!!!

In the interest of full disclosure, when B.O. first came out, I figured he would be a perennial 8 and 8 QB. Perfect for Jeff Fisher. I liked him but I didn't think he would ever be capable of more than throwing bubble screens and screen plays. Mainly because that's all he did at Arizona. Boy was I wrong! :oops:

But I credit Gary Kubiak who imaho, is one of the best HCs in the NFL. He's Mike Shanahan without the arrogance. A magician with a QBs best friend, the running game, and able to craft a game plan to over ride a QBs limitations.

If Kubiak were ever to be fired in Denver, I would hope that we hire him to be Pete's heir apparent.

Seafan

Reaction score
ivotuk":ixvihebu said:
Willie McGinest 2013: "News Flash! Russell Wilson is good from inside the pocket too!"

Love Willie, smart man, doesn't allow past loyalties to color his commentary, and is smart in every way. The NFL needs more like him.

So this storyline that Russell can't throw from the pocket is nothing new.

This just in! Brock Osweiler missing open receivers and getting his passes tipped at the line of scrimmage! Diagnosis? Too short and can't play from within the pocket!!!

In the interest of full disclosure, when B.O. first came out, I figured he would be a perennial 8 and 8 QB. Perfect for Jeff Fisher. I liked him but I didn't think he would ever be capable of more than throwing bubble screens and screen plays. Mainly because that's all he did at Arizona. Boy was I wrong! :oops:

But I credit Gary Kubiak who imaho, is one of the best HCs in the NFL. He's Mike Shanahan without the arrogance. A magician with a QBs best friend, the running game, and able to craft a game plan to over ride a QBs limitations.

If Kubiak were ever to be fired in Denver, I would hope that we hire him to be Pete's heir apparent.

Completely agree about Kubiak. What's amazing is he had a great team in Houston but Shaub just fell apart. That makes me believe that Kubiak just kept Shaub together as long as he could. Denver really lucked out with that.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
SeaChase":1geahndu said:
You guys are silly. The last 2 game have been against the worst passing D's in the league. Minnesota is #4. Lets see how well that goes.

So when Wilson does good against a bad defense he still doesn't get credit, during his last 3.5 years he's been playing very well against Top defenses especially in the NFC West and wasn't given any credit, maybe not this year but still it's on his resume.

Pete Carroll said they installed some new offensive plan, their old way wasn't working like it use to, they saw that most of the long developing plays that was their bread and butter isn't the same. I'm glad they saw that and started using what would work, even it it was a bit late. That's what has changed, the run game has always been their forte which was tailored for a Lynch lead offense, not Wilson's but Lynch. If the last two games is any indication I hope to see more of this Wilson lead offense, but Pete had said it was based on the opponents, so we might end up going back to the run first offense for the Viking's game, if the run isn't working, we will see what Wilson could do. Phillips River didn't learn the quick passing game until 3 years ago, he like Wilson relied on a lot of explosive plays and deep balls before then, lol i don't know if i can type that with a straight face.

Wilson is slowly becoming a complete QB and I expect that at the beginning of next year he will be.

rigelian

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":3p8dptcw said:
SeaChase":3p8dptcw said:
You guys are silly. The last 2 game have been against the worst passing D's in the league. Minnesota is #4. Lets see how well that goes.

Pete Carroll said they installed some new offensive plan, their old way wasn't working like it use to, they saw that most of the long developing plays that was their bread and butter isn't the same.

I think this is the critical difference. The offense, especially in the last game looks different. Quick passes out on time rather than long developing plays that leave Wilson vulnerable to the rush. I think this was done to help out the offensive line and it has worked well.

It's a good thing that they finally figured this out.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":3trmnp6x said:
SeaChase":3trmnp6x said:

You have to be willfully blind quote]

This

Anthony!

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":12kn8e3x said:
SeaChase":12kn8e3x said:

So when Wilson does good against a bad defense he still doesn't get credit, during his last 3.5 years he's been playing very well against Top defenses especially in the NFC West and wasn't given any credit, maybe not this year but still it's on his resume.

Pete Carroll said they installed some new offensive plan, their old way wasn't working like it use to, they saw that most of the long developing plays that was their bread and butter isn't the same. I'm glad they saw that and started using what would work, even it it was a bit late. That's what has changed, the run game has always been their forte which was tailored for a Lynch lead offense, not Wilson's but Lynch. If the last two games is any indication I hope to see more of this Wilson lead offense, but Pete had said it was based on the opponents, so we might end up going back to the run first offense for the Viking's game, if the run isn't working, we will see what Wilson could do. Phillips River didn't learn the quick passing game until 3 years ago, he like Wilson relied on a lot of explosive plays and deep balls before then, lol i don't know if i can type that with a straight face.

Wilson is slowly becoming a complete QB and I expect that at the beginning of next year he will be.

You know I always find it interesting when the whole worst defense thing is used and it is not totally accurate. Example Pitt yes they were low in yards, but they were only giving up 20.9 points per game and we scored 39. They were giving up 7.7 YPA Wilson was at 11.5, They were allowing a QB rating of 94.8 Wilson had 146+, They were giving up a OCMplt% of 65.8 Wilson had 70. I can go on, There is a difference in playing a bad defense and getting what they have allowed and playing a bad defense and making them look awful and FYI That bad defense of Pitt held both Ne and Az to 28 or less, Held Cincy to 16 and yet we scored 39 something Brady, Palmer, and Dalton could not do. So yeah it was impressive.

chris98251

Reaction score
rigelian":ujuje7wl said:
theincrediblesok":ujuje7wl said:
SeaChase":ujuje7wl said:

Pete Carroll said they installed some new offensive plan, their old way wasn't working like it use to, they saw that most of the long developing plays that was their bread and butter isn't the same.

I think this is the critical difference. The offense, especially in the last game looks different. Quick passes out on time rather than long developing plays that leave Wilson vulnerable to the rush. I think this was done to help out the offensive line and it has worked well.

It's something that many respected members here have been screaming about for 2 years really. Not sure why it took this long to implement.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
chris98251":po8tib7u said:
rigelian":po8tib7u said:
theincrediblesok":po8tib7u said:
SeaChase":po8tib7u said:

It's something that many respected members here have been screaming about for 2 years really. Not sure why it took this long to implement.

The first 2 years it had worked, added with read option with Lynch it was dangerous, then last year, we saw that it was starting to fade, it wasn't working with the personnel we had. We surely miss Tate and Rice for those deep threat plays. Plus the O-line was banged up all year, remember how many times we had a new lineup on the O-line, too many to count.

The O-line needs continuity but it always seems like it's a rotating door. This year everything looked worse because Lynch is hurt, we are rotating centers like it's roulette, and switching Britt to play another side he's never done, not using Jimmy Graham correctly, Wilson overthrowing and under-throwing/accuracy issues early on, and Bevell using the same slow developing plays/bubble screen and expecting everything to work like it did the first two years, that's the problem.

The league has caught on how to defend the Seahawks offense and knows how to attack the defense. I'm glad Pete decided to change some stuff because now the league will be even more scared that the offense just added some new elements that they haven't seen from them before. Sometimes It feels like Pete does it on purpose, make it a slow start don't show your hands and when December comes, unleash the fury.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":culam3yi said:
SeaChase":culam3yi said:

This is a very myopic view. We have had over 3.5 seasons to judge Mr. Wilson and just about every stat, eye test, and ultimate result (wins) points to him being an absolutely fantastic quarterback. You have to be willfully blind to ignore the accomplishments this young man has achieved in his still young career.
Or just be a hater.

SeaChase

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1hj20hhc said:
Milehighhawk":1hj20hhc said:
SeaChase":1hj20hhc said:

This is a very myopic view. We have had over 3.5 seasons to judge Mr. Wilson and just about every stat, eye test, and ultimate result (wins) points to him being an absolutely fantastic quarterback. You have to be willfully blind to ignore the accomplishments this young man has achieved in his still young career.
Or just be a hater.

Or just be a lover..

IndyHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3eax20b4 said:
rigelian":3eax20b4 said:
theincrediblesok":3eax20b4 said:
SeaChase":3eax20b4 said:

So it was the scheme not RW,OL,BEAST or lack of tall wr's.I guess everyone just about had it wrong.Time to eat your soggy Cheerios guys :lol:

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":kt7yba58 said:
Yes.. We want that part to go away. The leaving the pocket too quickly.

His creativity is wonderful but I think we all agree we want that to be plan b.
No, we don't agree. Let's agree to disagree.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Palmegranite":j1uvl24u said:
Tech Worlds":j1uvl24u said:

Well I agree that your wrong

Smellyman

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1wmi6qfg said:
Palmegranite":1wmi6qfg said:
Tech Worlds":1wmi6qfg said:

Well I agree that your wrong

No.. your!