Will We ever see fair Officiating Restored in the NFL?

Tusc2000

Reaction score
original poster":1rmg81u4 said:
Sorry but the idea that the refs have a motive is ridiculous.

They're just simply ineffective, there's a staggering difference.

Totally agree, some are blatantly incompetent, but I doubt they are corrupt.

The way to improve officiating is to allow a ref for each game to sit in New York, view the TV replays, and be allowed to overturn calls that are clearly wrong, or call obvious penalties that the refs happen to miss.

In my view, the goal should be very simple -- to get it right.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Tusc2000":pcn43zvz said:
The way to improve officiating is to allow a ref for each game to sit in New York, view the TV replays, and be allowed to overturn calls that are clearly wrong, or call obvious penalties that the refs happen to miss.

Remember though, blown calls getting fixed in New York is supposedly part of the conspiracy too.

The only way to fix the "problem" is to not give fans high-def slow-mo replays from multiple angles unless a call is actually under review. If fans get to watch a play one time in real speed from one angle just like officials do then the problem goes away instantly.

This is, of course, absolutely never gonna happen, so as a result we're stuck with 32 highly-biased and motivated packs of rabid fans using technology to feel intellectually superior to those engaging in the most difficult officiating jobs in professional sports by a very wide margin.

Long story short, people confuse viewership technology getting better with officiating getting worse. You're never gonna get rid of the segment of each fanbase which insists its team is getting screwed over week in and week out (that segment exists for every team in every sport, and always has), but I do think innovations in the broadcasting of games have enlarged the pools in each fanbase of those folks.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of "let 'em play". The more you try to inject a ref into the game, the more you will be disappointed at how inconsistent it is.

cymatica

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2fqxwp18 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, for those saying there was a league wide conspiracy to steer this game, can you please explain:

(1) The reasons for the hidden agenda to create a less exciting finish to the game in place of a more exciting finish to the game?

(2) The reasons for the hidden agenda to try to prop up a team with literally no national following and not even much support in its sparsely populated home-base? So it's part of a conspiracy to rake in those sweet national advertising dollars by propping up a Blake Bortles led Jaguars team? :lol:

Or maybe the conspiracy is so deep that us mere mortals can't even comprehend it...

It's all a strategy to keep you glued to the tv. Ride the high emotions of fanbases all the way to the bank. Give them a bad game to create the illusion that it's them vs the refs, then sprinkle in some good officiated games for balance. Don't need to involve everyone, just a few dirty officials and maybe even coaches.

Could be one giant WWE show. Right now Seattle is the "heel" or the bad guys. Notice all season they get hosed by the refs until... Primetime. Now everyone watches and, if anything, we have another narrative forcefed about the lateral and Seattle getting help.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
cymatica":3bmr5zwz said:
It's all a strategy to keep you glued to the tv. Ride the high emotions of fanbases all the way to the bank. Give them a bad game to create the illusion that it's them vs the refs, then sprinkle in some good officiated games for balance. Don't need to involve everyone, just a few dirty officials and maybe even coaches.

Oh, okay, so they're deliberately trying to avoid exciting finishes to games because that's what fans want in the long run.

And coaches are in on it too.

Good to know. :lol:

Exittium

Reaction score
And of course Popeyes in here to play the “nfl and officiating are just fine, nothings going on” card when once again there’s MORE than enough evidence on our board alone. I’m sure there are plenty other boards as well that have at a minimum claims that the NFL is definitely steering and controlling games and yes Popeye we are aware “every fan base feels every ref is out to get their team” but as many others have stated its get more and More obvious, and once again these refs swallowed the flags in key situations, and to “perceive” like it’s been kept even I’m amused that a good chunk of Jags penalties came during KRs/PRs where the ref extended the field which gives jags the chance the chew up the clock more, harder to spot the more ticky tacky fouls, as well as it wears the opposing defense.

So yes games need to be kept close to keep interest and ratings from dipping more than what they already have. That Non Call is just another peice of evidence, just like Lockett’s Facemask that the ref stared blatantly last week or the week before.

The NFL for all financial purposes is Sports ENTERTAINMENT = WWE, just like the NFL wanting to hire full time officials. But of course there will be sheep who will believe that these officials have “no agenda”. Last night looked even and on paper may have seemed “even” but I call bullshit. It was far from it, we know it, coaches know it, and our players know it.

/Sarcasm because I can really just laugh at the games now

sutz

Reaction score
Last week, we got PI and Def holding on about 3 or 4 consecutive plays. Don't remember a lot of grief over that. ;)

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
LOL, the refs equally suck for all teams. Sometimes they just make or miss bad calls when the games on the line. This is nothing new, it's happened since the NFL began. I do believe, though, that the players have gotten much faster as some of the refs have gotten older and that has affected the calls.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Exittium":2aegfgtx said:
I’m amused that a good chunk of Jags penalties came during KRs/PRs where the ref extended the field which gives jags the chance the chew up the clock more, harder to spot the more ticky tacky fouls, as well as it wears the opposing defense[

Oh, so the refs we're flagging the Jags on long returns and making it harder for them to score by bringing the ball way back as a nefarious way to tire out the Seahawk's defense.

Man, this conspiracy runs deep.

Seriously, this whole time I thought scoring was the best way to try to win, but apparently not scoring is the best strategy!

kidhawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":wugg3gzi said:
The only way to fix the "problem" is to not give fans high-def slow-mo replays from multiple angles unless a call is actually under review. If fans get to watch a play one time in real speed from one angle just like officials do then the problem goes away instantly.

I think they should just allow all fans to vote on twitter with a # on whether or not a call is right. Give fans 2 minutes to tweet, tally the votes and the winner gets the call. Or as a money maker, they could set up a toll call line for fans to vote. Best of both worlds that way

I can't see any way this could go wrong

:sarcasm_off:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
kidhawk":2jf33nnx said:
I think they should just allow all fans to vote on twitter with a # on whether or not a call is right. Give fans 2 minutes to tweet, tally the votes and the winner gets the call. Or as a money maker, they could set up a toll call line for fans to vote. Best of both worlds that way

I can't see any way this could go wrong

:sarcasm_off:

Even better is fans get to buy bonus packs to try to change calls, and we all get to put our fandom where our wallets are through loot boxes.

Like other free products, I just thinking watching football would be a lot more enjoyable if it came with a ton of microtransactions. :lol:

EDIT: Very off-topic, but anyone remember that product in the late 90s or early 2Ks where you could bet on the next play and stuff like that? It was like a remote that you would use and you would ostensibly compete with friends while watching Jeopardy or a game or something? I can't remember the name of it and it disappeared really quickly, but woah was that before its time.

Ozzy

Reaction score
The hard part about the Richardson play is the previous 99 times that happens it gets called and they decide to not call it on a crucial down and play for a team? That doesn't get missed in a middle school game. The DB was smart and tried to get the call so it wouldn't lead to a TD and they still don't call it. That's embarrassing for the league.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Amidst the snarky responses from hawk and niner fan alike regarding the foolishness of these types of things EVER being some sort of consipiracy, I would still like a reasonable explanation for why the Richardson play wasn't called.

A peewee referee sees that play. There is NO WAY that was incompetence. None. That was a CHOICE not to throw the flag, pure and simple.

So why?

Vpk0718

Reaction score
The annoying thing will be the media reaction. This will get swept under the rug, while every time the Seahawks benefit from a bad call will get national attention. It's so tiring.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Vpk0718":2t38ge7z said:
The annoying thing will be the media reaction. This will get swept under the rug, while every time the Seahawks benefit from a bad call will get national attention. It's so tiring.

You mean like the big deal that was made of the Sherman play on Jones a few years ago that was national news for a month and a half?

JimmyG

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":3bk2ztif said:
LOL, the refs equally suck for all teams. Sometimes they just make or miss bad calls when the games on the line. This is nothing new, it's happened since the NFL began. I do believe, though, that the players have gotten much faster as some of the refs have gotten older and that has affected the calls.
Agreed. I don't think calls have gotten worse, it's just replays have gotten better and better. There are now countless camera angles, ultra slow-motion replays, and a host of other enhancements. It's easier than ever to know what the "right" call was with the benefit of hindsight, but the refs are still working with the same real-time quick-judgement assessments.

Also, regarding the possibility of a conspiracy: I don't believe a conspiracy exists. I can at least entertain the idea though -- I mean, there is so much money at play, surely it could be possible. Okay, sure...

Here's where I can't get on board though: if a conspiracy exists, we have to accept the possibility that we have been the beneficiary of hidden agendas. Notice how when fan bases bring up league conspiracies, they never, ever entertain the idea that the conspiracy aids their team -- they are always victims. Always. It's unthinkable that the Hawks have ever benefited from an agenda, but it's clear-as-day that many of our losses are the direct result of an agenda. Funny how that works, huh?

mrblitz

Reaction score
cymatica":2v6ucl31 said:

Could be one giant WWE show. Right now Seattle is the "heel" or the bad guys. Notice all season they get hosed by the refs until... Primetime. Now everyone watches and, if anything, we have another narrative forcefed about the lateral and Seattle getting help.

yeah, versus philly i thought we got a 'good deal' in the officiating. it looked like we had turned the corner, that word had come down from the league office, something like, 'go easy on the seahawks now, cuz russell sells more jerseys than anyone'...

going into jax, i thought we were going to get some really good treatment from the refs. as it turned out, it was at least a little bit against the seahawks...

HommyHawk

Reaction score
Allow coaches challenges to no calls or penalties in the final 5 min.if wrong costs time out.

OP
OP
SeaChat

SeaChat

Reaction score
Popeyejones":164w63tc said:

Okay, for those saying there was a league wide conspiracy to steer this game, can you please explain:

(1) The reasons for the hidden agenda to create a less exciting finish to the game in place of a more exciting finish to the game?

(2) The reasons for the hidden agenda to try to prop up a team with literally no national following and not even much support in its sparsely populated home-base? So it's part of a conspiracy to rake in those sweet national advertising dollars by propping up a Blake Bortles led Jaguars team? :lol:

Or maybe the conspiracy is so deep that us mere mortals can't even comprehend it...

As is at the heart of anything in the Good Ole USA that smacks of greed and power,, follow the money, It will always reveal the truth of matters at the end of the day.

The fact that the NFL includes wording in their contracts, that expressly forbid anyone employed by them, to relay in any manner, spoken or written, that would put into question, or provide any real or imagined evidence, information that might incriminate them.

As has been the case in every professional sport, sooner or later the intimidation fails somewhere in the rank and file, and someone finds the courage, or becomes fearful of being used as a scapegoat, when the headhunters start closing in, and bring the whole house of cards tumbling down.

I only hope that when it does happen, and I have no doubt that it will, that it doesn't destroy the sport of NFL Football completely and forever.

When it does happen I hope the public will try and remember the players and coaches, didn't want their sport to be muddied up like it is. I believe that they love this sport as much or more than we do, and would love to see it cleaned up. I know I'm being naive to think that the NFL could see the writing on the wall and clean the sport up now while there is still time to save it.

Will they of their own accord? Probably not, but there is still plenty of money to go around and to be made honestly. Not as much as they have become accustomed to taking in, but the sport will survive, thrive and grow ongoing.

Go Seahawks !