Will Jimmy be here next season?

• Yes

Votes: 88 65.2%
  • No

Votes: 47 34.8%

• Total voters

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Wow, the discontent runs strong. Jimmy has only played in 5 regular season games here. Most of you advocates for cutting him haven't seen what he can do yet. I think there is no way he's not here next season. He's far too talented to trade or cut.

The OLine has been just awful most of the time so far this season putting RW under constant duress most of the time. The plays called for JG are usually too slow to develop for RW to effectively target him. 5 yds of protection but route called is for 11 yds. Graham is being targeted a fair amount but there is zero RAC happening for him most of the time, so far. When Wilson has time or when the routes for JG shorten to allow RW time to see graham things will start to get better for JG quickly.

I personally believe Bevell has little idea of how to effectively use Graham or Matthews or Willson, but eventually the team will figure it out. After PC and Cable intervene and start game planning to use Graham better things will significantly improve.

We need to be patient.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Bevell is incorporating Graham into the offensive scheme exactly as he should. Other than a lineman or Wilson, Graham had more snaps than any other player. Russ just needs to get comfortable throwing the ball his way.

massari

Reaction score
Hawks46":14t81uyy said:
I think this is jumping the gun a bit.

Anthony Gonzalez was just on with Cowherd, and he said the first year he went to Atlanta, he missed the Pro Bowl. He said it took a year to get chemistry and communicate with Ryan about how things were going to work, and the OC had to get used to what an elite TE looked like and how to use him.

That's a weird thing to say because in his stats with the Falcons were pretty consistent every year. In fact, his first year was more productive than his second season with the Falcons.

In his first year with Falcons he had 135 targets, Jimmy Graham is only on pace for about 85 targets.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2mvmnm7x said:
Wow, the discontent runs strong. Jimmy has only played in 5 regular season games here. Most of you advocates for cutting him haven't seen what he can do yet. I think there is no way he's not here next season. He's far too talented to trade or cut.

The OLine has been just awful most of the time so far this season putting RW under constant duress most of the time. The plays called for JG are usually too slow to develop for RW to effectively target him. 5 yds of protection but route called is for 11 yds. Graham is being targeted a fair amount but there is zero RAC happening for him most of the time, so far. When Wilson has time or when the routes for JG shorten to allow RW time to see graham things will start to get better for JG quickly.

I personally believe Bevell has little idea of how to effectively use Graham or Matthews or Willson, but eventually the team will figure it out. After PC and Cable intervene and start game planning to use Graham better things will significantly improve.

We need to be patient.

He doesn't fit this Offense he can't block and they won't line him up at WR so there's no point keeping him . Unless they figure out how to get him the ball either him or Bevell will be history.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":tsiuqrdm said:
Bevell is incorporating Graham into the offensive scheme exactly as he should. Other than a lineman or Wilson, Graham had more snaps than any other player. Russ just needs to get comfortable throwing the ball his way.

Sioux, I respect your spirited defence of Bevell but objective evidence of the effective use of Graham tends to point to the reality that Bevell is not yet effectively using Graham after 5 regular season games. Many other observers like Brock Huard, are pointing to the lack of effective routes or the use of Graham more often in the middle of the field and questioning the play designs for him.

I would argue Bevell is also not properly taking advantage of Matthews or Willson either, but I'm sure you disagree, and I'm OK with that but there are times bevell's calls and formations don't make much sense. What was he doing with those 4 wideout running formations in the 4 th Q of the Cincie game? Was this some lame attempt to con the D into thinking he was going to call a pass when run was called every time the formation was used? Where is the use of of Graham's height?

mistaowen

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2z2s4jpr said:
Siouxhawk":2z2s4jpr said:

Sioux, I respect your spirited defence of Bevell but objective evidence of the effective use of Graham tends to point to the reality that Bevell is not yet effectively using Graham after 5 regular season games. Many other observers like Brock Huard, are pointing to the lack of effective routes or the use of Graham more often in the middle of the field and questioning the play designs for him.

I would argue Bevell is also not properly taking advantage of Matthews or Willson either, but I'm sure you disagree, and I'm OK with that but there are times bevell's calls and formations don't make much sense. What was he doing with those 4 wideout running formations in the 4 th Q of the Cincie game? Was this some lame attempt to con the D into thinking he was going to call a pass when run was called every time the formation was used? Where is the use of of Graham's height?

Good points ^^

Running 4 yard outs to Jimmy Graham is not incorporating him the way he should. Just because he's seeing a lot of playing time doesn't mean he's being used efficiently. Bevell just plugged Jimmy into an already poor TE system that any no name TE can function in. Watch the way the Patriots use Gronk and create mismatches before the snap or how Hue Jackson attacked the middle of the field against us with Eifert. We aren't expecting him to get 1500 yard seasons but 4 catches for 30 yards a game is a massive waste of talent.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3098426y said:
Siouxhawk":3098426y said:

jammerhawk, I just don't think we've seen enough of a sample size yet and I believe when it's all said and done, Jimmy will be a valuable piece of our offense.
You look at the gif that Laloosh generously shared with us from the Cincy game and Jimmy was wide open at the 10 as he sat down in space, but Russ held the ball too long, tried to force it in late and we had the tip and pick. But the play was there for the taking if executed properly and I think Jimmy could have scored on that chance.
The one thing I'd be curious to know is how timing routes are approached in practice and film study. That's a part of Russ's game that needs more enforcement and I'd like to know how much time Bev has devoted to that because it's the vital element with Graham. Ball needs to be in the air to a spot before he makes his break or turnaround and that becomes a high-percentage completion due to his size and hops. But Russ has to pull that trigger and trust that the play will work.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/654744801284255746[/tweet]

IIRC That has been the standard response line regarding the inclusion of tight ends as receivers since the arrival of Zack Miller.

I am coming around to the notion that the limitations of tight ends as receivers has more to do with the offensive scheme and quarterback than the tight end position group.

scrummymustard

Reaction score
Jville":1j43acd4 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/654744801284255746[/tweet]

IIRC That has been the standard response line regarding the inclusion of tight ends as receivers since the arrival of Zack Miller.

I am coming around to the notion that the limitations of tight ends as receivers has more to do with the offensive scheme and quarterback than the tight end position group.
I'm sick and tired of us being absolutely pathetic on offense. If we were even remotely decent we would be a #1 seed.

Do the jets (who have been terrible on offense the last 5 years) have any trouble fitting in Brandon Marshall in their scheme?

Our offense philosophy needs to change, there is no point in paying Russ all that money to keep him as merely a game manager. Take the reigns off of him and the offense and see what we have, Bc frankly we can't get much worse on the offensive side of the ball.

rideaducati

Reaction score
seahawksny":2nd2b173 said:
Missing_Clink":2nd2b173 said:
I think he will be gone. That $9 million salary will get put to better use elsewhere, like on the OL or pass catchers that mesh with Wilson's game.

touche'

I think there are several pass catchers that mesh with Wilson's game, but Bevell won't put them on the field and instead makes Russell work with the below average receivers.