Why The Patriots Would Have Beat The Bengals

HawkerD

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":1jho14ui said:
Say what you want about Brady, but I love his killer instinct. He said once in an interview, in response to allegation of "running up the score" in 2007, that an offense's job is to score, so if he ever takes the field and doesn't score, he's not doing his job. I love it.

I wish our coaches felt the same. Instead, Bevell tries to run a whole quarter off the clock. By throwing to the sidelines no less. The guy is clueless.

I don't believe there is such a thing as running up the score in the NFLs. The other team is paid to do a job. If they can't do it then tough crap. They all have the same cap number and participate in the same Draft. CHOKE THEM OUT!

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":azspoqz6 said:
[I'm just trying to get across that it's not the offense, they haven't played any different than they've ever played under Pete. It's the D that's not living up to their end of the bargain.

For sure. There's been a lack of kill instinct to close games like we've seen in the past from our defense. I wonder how much of that is due to being gassed in the 4th with our offenses lack of converting 1st downs?

Team Patera

Reaction score
Aros":1tk7g3rd said:
"(Brady) tells everybody make sure you know, don't ever take your foot off the gas, just keep going. No matter the score, at halftime, he's saying it's 0-0, just keep going. It's just that mentality that he has. It's just contagious."
Sigh....I remember when we used to be like that. :(

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Aros":714kot50 said:
I don't know why and when we stopped having that philosophy either. However Pete's been saying he takes the blame for the 4th quarter meltdowns so I have to believe we are going to see the team get back to that SBXLVIII philosophy. Put your foot on their necks and keep the pressure on until they suffocate and the game is over.

The play calling has to remain aggressive for 60 minutes, period, end of story.

Only time it seems to get aggressive is at the end of the half and end of game.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3oe8mood said:
Seahawks.net, not Patriots.net :)

You know, nobody is forcing you to click on this thread. There's plenty of other threads to choose. :lol:

Seahawk79

Reaction score
bmorepunk":25bsoy43 said:
Wilson isn't Brady.

:13: The numbers support that, switch QB stats and the Super Bowl outcome is very different. You're not going to an many games scoring 17 points, 10 on the arm of your QB. 1 TD and 1 INT won't cut it unless the D playing to perfection, which we know ours isn't right now. Tough to tell if there's an issue on D, or if 9 empty possessions (including 6 straight and 2 in OT) were the culprit. Either way, the O has to learn how to be better... The D might just need some help for once.

Hawks46

Reaction score
The Patriots play to win.

We've been playing to gain a lead, then not to lose. BIG difference.

The overall mentality of Bellichick permeates his team. He doesn't care if he's cast as the villain. He doesn't care if he comes across as a red ass to the media, or an asshole to other teams' fan bases. He's a defensive minded coach who realizes that with the all the rules to help the offense, no lead is really safe in the NFL.

Pete's mentality permeates his team as well. The problem I see is that he still has a somewhat college mentality. He's adjusted it well to the NFL, but he still has it. The media hopped on this and claimed his "rah rah" attitude wouldn't translate, but they were mistaken. What doesn't translate is the "aw shucks, we can't run up the score too much, those poor kids on the other team are over matched and it's poor sportsmanship". That's what I see Pete doing. He's trying to be a good sport, but honestly...the guys on that other team are getting paid as much as your guys. Who gives a shit if you hurt their feelings by crushing them ? Their paycheck this game still cashed.

Herm said it best "you play to win the game." Our OL isn't good enough to pound the ball when it HAS to, and the other team knows it. This is the biggest problem we have. We're trying to finish out games running it, and the OL is incapable of it, and the coaching staff hasn't adjusted to this fact quickly enough.

Lots of fans here claim that Pete wants to be conservative on offense, and pound the ball...run more than pass and be a run "dominated" offense. This is incorrect, and Pete as corrected it many times publicly. He wants to:

1. limit turnovers
2. win toxic differential each game. this includes having more explosive plays than the other team.
3. throw the ball over the top of the defense.
4. run the ball IN THE 4th QUARTER to win games and wear teams out.

We start out running the ball to start to wear defenses down, and set up the run at the end of the game. Cable also believes this, in that he's stated "you throw to score and run to win".

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Aros":1ftztgtb said:
I don't know why and when we stopped having that philosophy either. However Pete's been saying he takes the blame for the 4th quarter meltdowns so I have to believe we are going to see the team get back to that SBXLVIII philosophy. Put your foot on their necks and keep the pressure on until they suffocate and the game is over.

The play calling has to remain aggressive for 60 minutes, period, end of story.

The problem as I see it is we did stop being aggressive. Now, to emphasize this fact is the teams we are playing are not Peyton Manning caliber offensive juggernauts. PM juggernauts are what got that team to play us in the Owl. We had no choice but to press the metal to the pedal as his passing ability could actually make us LOSE that game. I dont see any more juggernauts out there as good as that which leads me to believe that we, in theory, with our elite defense working, have changed the philosophy of defenses. But at the moment, our elite defense is on the fence looking at the game. When they get back on the field riding them broncos, then we will have a team again.

Near the end of the 4th qtr (Cincy game), I was in the stands watching and wondering how the choreographer was playing this part of the game. Then watching Sportscenter, I saw another game where I could have sworn that a play was choreographed. Player jumped over the offensive and defensive players with a jump somersault. Cant choreograph that any better.

But that is only theory.....and I have heard that Frank Clark and Tyler Lockett are aliens....I read it on the internet so it must be true.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :thirishdrinkers:

edogg23

Reaction score
I am so impressed with the way the Patriots are playing this year.

Remember all of the Superbowl hangover the Seahawks had? The Patriots have none of that and came out curb stomping everyone they play.

The way they have come out has cemented in my mind that Belichick is the best coach in the NFL by a longshot.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
edogg23":39qxnzem said:
I am so impressed with the way the Patriots are playing this year..

Unfortunately, yes impressed is the right word.

I totally thought they'd take a step back, what with losing Browner, Wilfork and Revis. Just goes to show you what a great coach Belicheat is.

Another reason why I'm so critical of our team, NO reason we should be struggling so much with 80% of our starters back, most of which are suppose to be all pro caliber players, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

If we don't have a chip on our shoulder after losing the SB like we lost it? Then I don't know what to say, I need to start seeing some inspired football.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Pats defense is still suspect but they are running the same offensive schemes and shady pick plays as last year. They are putting up a lot of points against weaker competition just like the Cardinals. It is still impressive how consistent the team is year to year.

The Seahawks had a lot of key personnel issues in their first few games. Kam was out. Earl was rusty. Beast Mode was not at 100%. Offensive line was and is still a work in progress. Despite all that they have been in every game.

Exittium

Reaction score
edogg23":3daoybph said:
I am so impressed with the way the Patriots are playing this year.

Remember all of the Superbowl hangover the Seahawks had? The Patriots have none of that and came out curb stomping everyone they play.

The way they have come out has cemented in my mind that Belichick is the best coach in the NFL by a longshot.

Holy shit man, how thick are those knee pads??? Lol

It wont be until the summer or next year when something else comes out about them doing something else. Who knows maybe by that time when it happens Ill be done with the NFL and just stick to purely college. I mean come on now lets not fool ourselves they'll go 16-0 with their cakewalk schedule and gooddell will get back in the circle of trust with kraft

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3w37mu84 said:
edogg23":3w37mu84 said:
I am so impressed with the way the Patriots are playing this year..

Unfortunately, yes impressed is the right word.

The offensive side of the football is just that good, experienced and prepared to curb stomp. What more can you say about the Pats?