Why Russell is a winner/leader and Cam Newton is not

Throwdown

Reaction score
BleedGreenNblue":2mj4v97v said:
I like Cam. Whats all the fuss about?

Lol I'm wondering the same thing, I enjoy watching the guy. Carolina is lucky to have him, my 2nd favorite Qb behind Russell the amazing one Wilson.

ctrcat

Reaction score
BleedGreenNblue":lac29xoi said:

He's polarizing, some like you (and me) like him, but many predicted he would fail from the word go, and many simply don't like or even hate him for a myriad of reasons.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
ctrcat":2tnncbnw said:
BleedGreenNblue":2tnncbnw said:

He's polarizing, some like you (and me) like him, but many predicted he would fail from the word go, and many simply don't like or even hate him for a myriad of reasons.
The emotional investment people put into their guy makes discussion difficult.

Cam's strengths are amazing, but his weaknesses glaring. His lack of growth is alarming. the fact that he needs a misdirection offense even now should give pause. His accuracy in passes he trusts is very good, when he uses the pocket well it is among the best. Which makes his lack of overall accuracy a huge concern.

He lacks maturity. I think the Donkey Kong Suh interview should be ample demonstration that he has a long way to go with maturity. Lack of maturity=lack of coachability. The reason Cam isn't getting better, the reason former panther WRs feel like they have to go elsewhere, comes down to Cam and his level of maturity. WHich is sad, because he has the talent to be one of the best in history.

I am dead serious here, if I am the Panthers, I tag him and shop him. One more year to evaluate his maturity at minimum, and a chance to get going with a more conventional QB at worst. Hold Cam's feet to the fire and see how he responds.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Cam Newton is probably the most talented football player in the league. It would be unfair if he was also a hard worker and a student of the game. He will always be a stat monster and a human highlight reel, but I cant see him becoming a Winner. Still, Panthers just dont have any other option than to invest in him, because getting anyone even close to that quality would be very unlikely. He can learn, but he doest seem to be a guy who wants to. He is used to just relying on his talent. It will never be enough in this league.

Wilson is completely different. He is not here just to showcase his talents. He puts in continuous effort to become better.

AVL

Reaction score
I thought Wilson's body language was a little contracted pregame last week.

Too much is made of body language, imo

kearly

Reaction score
Great post Scotte. I've had the same exact thoughts about the Panthers needing to instill a sense of urgency with Newton, and giving thought to shopping him.

Tokadub

Reaction score
I took this screenshot from Cam Newton's Monday Press Conference after they played us it is entitled "Newton Sad Panda" ;)

I never got around to posting it when this discussion was more relevant but I think this picture pretty much sums up why Cam Newton will never be the winner/leader that Russell Wilson is.

This could be used for a lot of MEMOs to troll Panther fans I would imagine :stirthepot:

Newton_Sad_Panda.png

253hawk

Reaction score
Would Russ ever taunt after a TD and incite an all-out brawl over it? I think not. Unless someone got reallllly mad about the way he hands the ball to the ref...

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Questions about Wilson's leadership can be answered pretty easily IMO.
What Wilson brings to the Seahawk QB position, a partial list:

1. Confidence:
His confidence has influenced the entire team to be extremely confident. He has the ability to not look back at failed opportunities but to only look forward to the success of the next play/series/game. Confidence is such an important factor for any QB. Confidence is expected from true leaders and RW has it in spades 100% of the time.
2. Positive attitude all day, every day:
I've watched RW in every game & interview, read nearly every article and 100% of the time he is positive, NEVER negative. He always credits his players & coaches, often by name after every game. He's always completely positive in every sense of the word. I've seldom see him even frown over anything football related much less exhibit negativity in any form whatsoever. RW's teammates surely feed off all of this positive reinforcement from RW and it defines his successes as well as the teams.
3. Love of the game & desire for greatness:
RW is a complete football junkie that has played QB for many years, throwing for a total of more than 12 miles of passing yardage going back to his championship High school days. Experience is a great teacher and RW has learned the QB position very well, but readily admits to needing to improve various aspects of his game. His desire for greatness has also rubbed off on most of his teammates and that is a good thing. A true leader needs to leave no doubt that he is not only the one "in charge" but the one that will lead his team through fire and brimstone to get a win. RW is that guy now and he's only going to get better in the coming years.
4. Character, personality:
RW has character beyond reproach. His personality comes across as always intelligent, infectious, serious and when he talks, people listen 'cause he has "IT". The Seahawks are so blessed to have him finally after all those lost years.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Should be fun to watch Cam have a meltdown next week. Go Cowgirls!!!!!

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
googoodan":zcdael4z said:
HawKnPeppa":zcdael4z said:
Yeah, it's a sad state of affairs for the other team when they want our OL, LMAO!
On another note, if slumping your shoulders on the sideline with a towel over your head is 'black enough,' I'll keep our 'Uncle Tom,' thank you!

At least one person gets it.
Wilson wouldn't survive to halftime with our band of Ryan Kalil and the four UDFAs.
This guy is funny! Please don't go anywhere, we need for comic relief this week

Northhawk

Reaction score
Definitely, Cam wears his feelings on his sleeve where as Russ is steel-faced even when things go wrong. Today, Cam look defeated in the 2nd when Arizona pulled ahead.

It's hard to say what he's like in-person but on TV Cam looked like a 12 year old out there.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Northhawk":33qvs5ix said:
Definitely, Cam wears his feelings on his sleeve where as Russ is steel-faced even when things go wrong. Today, Cam look defeated in the 2nd when Arizona pulled ahead.

It's hard to say what he's like in-person but on TV Cam looked like a 12 year old out there.

Agree 100%. He is a child mentally in a mans body. That ridiculous 1st down signal would annoy the hell out of me if I were his coach. Celebrating after every first down is just... childish.

muxpux

Reaction score
I screen capped this late in the 4th with Carolina up and salting away the clock

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,158

pehawk

Reaction score
seabowl":2qohvlsd said:
Northhawk":2qohvlsd said:

Agree 100%. He is a child mentally in a mans body. That ridiculous 1st down signal would annoy the hell out of me if I were his coach. Celebrating after every first down is just... childish.

Exactly! Dude is so selfish he keeps playing hurt behind worst oline in football. Hell, he pouted so much he actually had the audacity to play with two broken vertebrae in his back.

What....a....punk.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
googoodan":15bcu2wm said:
HawKnPeppa":15bcu2wm said:
Yeah, it's a sad state of affairs for the other team when they want our OL, LMAO!
On another note, if slumping your shoulders on the sideline with a towel over your head is 'black enough,' I'll keep our 'Uncle Tom,' thank you!

At least one person gets it.
Wilson wouldn't survive to halftime with our band of Ryan Kalil and the four UDFAs.
He did that with an even worse OL in 2013. Cam is fast, but he isn't Russell 'Houdini' Wilson. Not by a long shot.

kearly

Reaction score
If I was a Panthers fan I'd want Seattle's OL too. Remember our OL last year when we were missing four starters? That's basically how bad the Panthers OL has been in 2014.

olyfan63

Reaction score
kearly":2onrbvvf said:
If I was a Panthers fan I'd want Seattle's OL too. Remember our OL last year when we were missing four starters? That's basically how bad the Panthers OL has been in 2014.

It was so hard to wrap our heads around ANYONE's O-Line being worse than Seattle...
But doggone it if Carolina doesn't check that box.

In fact, the Seattle O-Line has actually been pretty good compared to last year, with the exception of the couple games where Schilling played center and still-learning Patrick Lewis did before we got Lemuel JeanPierre back.

The reality is that to have the #1 rushing offense in the league, the O-Line simply can't be THAT bad, really.
Do we wish the pass pro was better more of the time? Heck yeah.

Do we count Zach Miller as part of the line? His absence affects pass protection quite a bit.
Do we count receivers that don't get separation and Russell holds the ball against the O-Line?
Do we factor in Russell's hidden "thumb injury that made him inaccurate, and reluctant to throw without tons of separation, so he holds the ball?
Do we factor in Bevell play design, asking Russell to dodge and deal with unblocked rushers?
Do we factor in Russell simply holding the ball longer so he doesn't make a mistake and throw a ball he shouldn't?

It's so easy to rag on the Seahawks offensive line. To me, the reality is the current O-Line is better than the group we won the Super Bowl with. Sweezy is a year better, and Britt is doing well in run blocking, even if Breno was a better pass blocker, it's close to a wash. Carp is in better shape, and Bailey is a year better than last year. Unger is good when he's healthy and available. Patrick Lewis is even an upgrade at backup center to LJP, apparently, based on coaching decisions on who plays. Even Garry Gilliam is getting into the act at Outside Tackle, er, TE. When Okung is healthy, which he is now, he's very good, like he was last year.

I think we've made "Horrible O-Line" such a cliche for the Seattle line, that people stop seeing when the line is actually doing well.

Someone had a great thread after the first Arizona game with 7 sacks on us by the Cards. We assumed it was all the O-line's fault for crappy protection. However, when broken down, at most 2 of the 7 were on the O-Line, and maybe only one. The rest were on Russell, and/or on bad play design.

Russell cleans up his act a little, gets rid of the ball quicker, with PRich now open, and suddenly our line is so much better. Just amazing what a little development at the WR position can have.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Amazing but true, earlier in this thread, I put Carolina's playoff chances at 55-45 after we had beaten them. Based mostly on Cam stepping up. We'll get a close look at his game next week, most likely, though Dallas over Detroit isn't a sure thing.

Latest posts