Why Is Everyone Crowning Arians COY?

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Coach and Executive of the year might as well be renamed "Surprise Team of the Year". That's all it ever is. The guys on the teams who you didn't expect to be good. Pretty stupid, really.

kearly

Reaction score
As Seatown says, it is a stupid award voted on by people who make a living looking for narratives.

That said, even the media probably wouldn't vote for Arians much if the vote were held today. Having abysmal depth at QB and RB is not something Arians can escape blame for. Unfortunately, most media members submit their ballots in November or early December, so Arians probably has it in the bag.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Jason Garrett will win it. Winning their division and earning the No. 3 seed after going 8-8 is more impressive than limping into the playoffs in the way Arians did with Arizona. Both offense and defense have improved dramatically for Dallas by replacing Monte Kiffin at DC and promoting Marinelli, and refocusing the offense around their running game.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":q1rueolk said:
Having abysmal depth at QB and RB is not something Arians can escape blame for.

Huh? How many teams in the NFL are winning playoff games with their 3rd string QB, who for all intents and purposes is actually their 4th string QB thrusted into action because of Logan Thomas being a HUGEEEEE project.

Do you think Seattle wins a playoff game with BJ Daniels at QB? Probably not.

I get that Seahawk fans should try to diminish division rivals accomplishments whenever possible.. but Arians absolutely should be COTY.

And sure, the award typically goes to coaches who had a good season after a season of sucking.. but this Cardinals team was DECIMATED by injury from camp on. Arians did a fantastic job of coaching.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":qku1wehc said:
kearly":qku1wehc said:

Huh? How many teams in the NFL are winning playoff games with their 3rd string QB, who for all intents and purposes is actually their 4th string QB thrusted into action because of Logan Thomas being a HUGEEEEE project.

I get that Seahawk fans should try to diminish division rivals accomplishments whenever possible.. but Arians absolutely should be COTY.

And sure, the award typically goes to coaches who had a good season after a season of sucking.. but this Cardinals team was DECIMATED by injury from camp on. Arians did a fantastic job of coaching.

I think what kearly is getting at is that both QB and RB were gigantic issues. Sure, Carson Palmer and Andre Ellington are fine starters. Worthy, even. But you know both of those guys are going to get hurt, and then you're starting Drew Stanton and Stepfan Taylor(? I can't remember). Their second string wasn't exactly filled with world beaters, and given the fact that RBs are such a fungible commodity, they should have at least had someone better than Taylor or Kerwynn Williams to pick up the slack for Stanton.

Coach of the year is still a stupid award, too, because it should be given in retrospect, just like executive of the year. It can take time to see the results.

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1aii0cyj said:
kearly":1aii0cyj said:

I loved what Arians and Bowles did to get results out of their defense with all those fill in players. I think Arians is smart, but I also suspect that he is driven to mistakes by his ego.

When Palmer went down, the Cardinals still had time to trade for a QB before the deadline. They could have probably had Fitzpatrick or Hasselbeck for a 7th rounder. They could have signed Case Keenum or Terrell Pryor for free. Any of them would have been way better than Lindley or Thomas, and probably Stanton too. Stanton was statistically the worst QB in the NFL before he went down with injury.

Their RB situation was pretty bad too. It's simply incompetent to think you could give a small back like Ellington 25 touches a game and expect him to last a full season, much less the playoffs.

And really, they should have never entered the season with such unbelievably bad depth in the first place. Carson Palmer is one of the most injury prone QBs in the NFL, a QB like that HAS to be accounted for with a quality backup. Same thing with Ellington.

If depth in these areas remains a problem in 2015, then Arians/Keim are either grossly incompetent or Arians is unable to keep his ego in check by thinking he can make literally anyone into an NFL QB.