Why I think Seattle will probably win Super Bowl 48

Wartooth

Reaction score
MileHighFish":3mec6cyv said:
HawKnPeppa":3mec6cyv said:
MileHighFish":3mec6cyv said:
This thread wreaks of "ifs and buts" along with a good dose of personal biased opinion (although the original poster goes to great lengths to explain how they believe Denver is a great team and there is no disrespect) then gives a complete backhand... Just saying. And how is the advantage between Denver's big receivers and Seattle's big DBs advantage Seattle? The NFL rules are built to favor offenses. That is a fact. It will be known early if the officials let Seattle's dbs be physical or not. If they are allowed to, big advantage Seattle. If not, then it could be a long night for them.

NEWS FLASH.. you are on a Seahawks fan forum. Now how 'bout you provide your own biased post that explains why you think Bronkos will win. :?

I have pointed out in several of my posts I am a Denver fan and expect Seattle fans to believe their team will win... I have yet to make any prediction and am here to discuss the game. Some posters (both fan bases) simply amaze me however with their rationale of why X team will be Y team.... The message board equivalent to "my dad can beat up your dad" :mrgreen:

A lot of time left until the game and I will hold off on any predictions until a little closer to kickoff.

That's fine and all dude...
Wanna' talk football, and the upcoming game, that's great.
But you're coming off a little to fired up for being on the opposing teams site.
Maybe just settle down a little...Or, go find you're big boy pants!
Because if you don't bring your A game, you're about to be shredded.
GO HAWKS!

Laloosh

Reaction score
MileHighFish":32lb1hf3 said:
E.C. Laloosh":32lb1hf3 said:
MileHighFish":32lb1hf3 said:
This thread wreaks of "ifs and buts" along with a good dose of personal biased opinion (although the original poster goes to great lengths to explain how they believe Denver is a great team and there is no disrespect) then gives a complete backhand... Just saying. And how is the advantage between Denver's big receivers and Seattle's big DBs advantage Seattle? The NFL rules are built to favor offenses. That is a fact. It will be known early if the officials let Seattle's dbs be physical or not. If they are allowed to, big advantage Seattle. If not, then it could be a long night for them.

How would you say they've called it for dbs thus far in the playoffs? I think it tends to lean toward "let them play". Regarding "ifs and buts", he's provided opinion. In what way was "this is opinion" not clearly implied? Aside from the stats he was looking at and his opinion, where else can anyone go with it? Should he have based everything on the preseason game? You know, the only tangible thing to really illustrate how the two teams might match up?

With regard to special teams (in your 2nd post). Denver has started with worse field position (on average) but have scored at a much higher rate. Doesn't say anything about whether or not SEA instantly gains an advantage in the return game for example, by the return of oh, the most explosive return guy in the game does it?

I simply said stats can be skewed to prove whatever their motive or intent may be. Regarding special teams and "the most explosive return guy in the game", I will take my chances with Holliday (28 kick returns, 775 yards, 27.7 average with a long of 105 and 1 td) versus someone who has 1 return for 58 yards all season because of being sidelined almost the entire year because of injury....

As opposed to the guy who took 16 kick returns for 574 yards, 35.9 average, a long of 105 and 1td in the previous season. Yeah I can see why you would completely disregard that guy because he was hurt but in his only return this season went for 58. :th2thumbs:

MileHighFish

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3n3u17dq said:
MileHighFish":3n3u17dq said:
I have watched your team for the last TWO years because I have no choice and here it is.... you run a finesse offense with soft receivers beyond Welker despite their size I don't get it, seriously.

Yeah, Denver's wr corp doesn't have an explosive beast like Brittan Golden and nobody near the caliber of Carson Palmer to throw it to him... And there won't be any 12th man in NYC for Seattle. They (Seattle) haven't exactly been the same team on the road as at home this season imo....

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I added this factoid in the OP, but since it's so big I figured I'm mention it in a separate comment too.

It's actually 4 out of 5 #1 defenses that have prevailed over #1 offenses. That lone #1 defense to lose?

Denver. The 1990 Denver Broncos.

MileHighFish

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":sjuprx1c said:
MileHighFish":sjuprx1c said:
E.C. Laloosh":sjuprx1c said:
MileHighFish":sjuprx1c said:

How would you say they've called it for dbs thus far in the playoffs? I think it tends to lean toward "let them play". Regarding "ifs and buts", he's provided opinion. In what way was "this is opinion" not clearly implied? Aside from the stats he was looking at and his opinion, where else can anyone go with it? Should he have based everything on the preseason game? You know, the only tangible thing to really illustrate how the two teams might match up?

With regard to special teams (in your 2nd post). Denver has started with worse field position (on average) but have scored at a much higher rate. Doesn't say anything about whether or not SEA instantly gains an advantage in the return game for example, by the return of oh, the most explosive return guy in the game does it?

I simply said stats can be skewed to prove whatever their motive or intent may be. Regarding special teams and "the most explosive return guy in the game", I will take my chances with Holliday (28 kick returns, 775 yards, 27.7 average with a long of 105 and 1 td) versus someone who has 1 return for 58 yards all season because of being sidelined almost the entire year because of injury....

As opposed to the guy who took 16 kick returns for 574 yards, 35.9 average, a long of 105 and 1td in the previous season. Yeah I can see why you would completely disregard that guy because he was hurt but in his only return this season went for 58. :th2thumbs:

I am not "disregarding" Harvin by any means but to say Seattle "instantly gains an advantage in the return game" while completely ignoring Holliday's accomplishments is simply ridiculous. If we want to look at 2012 return numbers, please look up "Trindon Holliday Baltimore Ravens Game" on youtube. And yes, I do realize Denver lost that game but that diminish Holliday's performance....

MileHighFish

Reaction score
kearly":1qh8kpql said:
I added this factoid in the OP, but since it's so big I figured I'm mention it in a separate comment too.

It's actually 4 out of 5 #1 defenses that have prevailed over #1 offenses. That lone #1 defense to lose?

Denver. The 1990 Denver Broncos.

So you're saying there's a chance!... Thank God!!! :D

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
MileHighFish":1f2hqvin said:

Seattle has historically destroyed big WRs the past two seasons. Brandon Marshall (in 2012) was the only big WR to have success against Seattle, and it was pretty clearly an outlier. And Brandon Marshall is a flippin' stud, having all things considered one of the best games of his life that day.

Also, the officials have been notoriously lax with penalties in the Super Bowl the last few years. Considering that the very reason for this change was Super Bowl 40, and the team shafted by that fiasco was Seattle, if anything I expect them to be extra lax in this game.

The Seahawks 49ers game in the regular season matchups were massive penalty fests. But the playoff version? Far fewer penalties, including WAY fewer on the OL and DB areas. Your team probably isn't penalized all that much so you haven't noticed, but the more physical / penalty prone teams have really benefited from this tendency. Last year's Super Bowl was actually between the #1 and #2 most penalized teams in the NFL that regular season, IIRC. And the #1 most penalized team won it.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
MileHighFish":3f3r74df said:
MizzouHawkGal":3f3r74df said:
MileHighFish":3f3r74df said:
I have watched your team for the last TWO years because I have no choice and here it is.... you run a finesse offense with soft receivers beyond Welker despite their size I don't get it, seriously.

Yeah, Denver's wr corp doesn't have an explosive beast like Brittan Golden and nobody near the caliber of Carson Palmer to throw it to him... And there won't be any 12th man in NYC for Seattle. They (Seattle) haven't exactly been the same team on the road as at home this season imo....
We have the same road record as you. Remember I live in Kansas City I actually know the AFC as well as you, especially the AFC West. By the way East Rutherford is a neutral field and unlike 2005 we travel well. Especially given we have serious history hon.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
calinator":fj5rpmhr said:
I'm worried about Peyton marching the field on us because we can't get enough pressure. Yes the secondary is the strength of our team but even though the pass rush is pretty good the Broncos pass protection is amazing and Peyton is fast with the football. You can have 5 Richard Shermans out there but there needs to be a rush or it makes no difference. My biggest fear is we start the game giving up 2-3 long TD drives and the defense is immediately gassed. Flame away but I hope i'm wrong.

Manning will complete a lot of passes and convert a lot of 3rd downs. But when he does score, it's going to be on 15 play drives. He won't be driving the ball down the field on that secondary. Even elite QBs with much better arms have been afraid of doing so (Rodgers, Brady, Brees) the last couple years, and remember that this game will be played in freezing conditions, possibly in snow. Nobody can take what's given better than Manning. I'm not predicting a blowout.

But it's extremely hard to score 30 with a dink and dunk game plan, even if executed masterfully. It can be done, but no team has beaten Seattle with such an approach the last couple seasons. Brees, Brady, and Rodgers are 0-4 against Seattle. Toss in the preseason games with Manning and Rodgers and it goes up to 0-7.

MileHighFish

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":cd7yoder said:
MileHighFish":cd7yoder said:
MizzouHawkGal":cd7yoder said:
MileHighFish":cd7yoder said:

We have the same road record as you. Remember I live in Kansas City I actually know the AFC as well as you, especially the AFC West. By the way East Rutherford is a neutral field and unlike 2005 we travel well. Especially given we have serious history hon.

I simply stated, it won't be a home game hence no 12th man and Seattle has been a different team on the road versus at home. I never said Denver was a juggernaut on the road at any point. And by stating that you know the AFC west as well as I do, do you mean you watch the games on tv and listen to sport talk radio? Not really sure what that means hon?

themunn

Reaction score
MileHighFish":2xutzm5b said:

Seahawks record on the road 6-2
Broncos record on the road 6-2

Seahawks net point differential on the road - 63
Broncos net point differential on the road - 70

Seahawks opponent combined record on the road - 65-63
Broncos opponent combined record on the road - 64-64

Wow we don't stand a chance on the road against the mighty Danvar Brancos

Laloosh

Reaction score
kearly":2akqbkie said:
calinator":2akqbkie said:
I'm worried about Peyton marching the field on us because we can't get enough pressure. Yes the secondary is the strength of our team but even though the pass rush is pretty good the Broncos pass protection is amazing and Peyton is fast with the football. You can have 5 Richard Shermans out there but there needs to be a rush or it makes no difference. My biggest fear is we start the game giving up 2-3 long TD drives and the defense is immediately gassed. Flame away but I hope i'm wrong.

Manning will complete a lot of passes and convert a lot of 3rd downs. But when he does score, it's going to be on 15 play drives. He won't be driving the ball down the field on that secondary. Even elite QBs with much better arms have been afraid of doing so (Rodgers, Brady, Brees) the last couple years, and remember that this game will be played in freezing conditions, possibly in snow. Nobody can take what's given better than Manning. I'm not predicting a blowout.

But it's extremely hard to score 30 with a dink and dunk game plan, even if executed masterfully. It can be done, but no team has beaten Seattle with such an approach the last couple seasons. Brees, Brady, and Rodgers are 0-4 against Seattle. Toss in the preseason games with Manning and Rodgers and it goes up to 0-7.

They literally have to execute their offense minus the big plays (if we play it correctly). It's strange to even think about. It seems (to me) that we literally let them play their offense, just don't let them get the YAC or the explosives.

Eventually, on one of those downs, the pass rush will hurry Manning into throwing one away or taking a sack here and there. Am I wrong on this?

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
MileHighFish":zw4jefwv said:

Seattle is tied for the best road team in the NFL this season. Some of their worst games were actually at home this season, it was kind of a strange year. Still much better at home, but nothing like in the past. Defense and running the football travel very well.

MileHighFish

Reaction score
themunn":2suj8xw4 said:
MileHighFish":2suj8xw4 said:

Ha! I have NEVER ONCE stated anything of the sort and did not compare the two teams. Seattle is well known for the 12th man and this is what I was getting at. I have read quite a few posts stating Seattle will destroy Denver and I do not believe this to be true. While posting here (on your board) I will do my best to justify my opinions and expect nothing less than the same from Seattle fans. Please do not put words into my mouth though...

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
MileHighFish":39fnco4e said:
Ha! I have NEVER ONCE stated anything of the sort and did not compare the two teams. Seattle is well known for the 12th man and this is what I was getting at. I have read quite a few posts stating Seattle will destroy Denver and I do not believe this to be true. While posting here (on your board) I will do my best to justify my opinions and expect nothing less than the same from Seattle fans. Please do not put words into my mouth though...

Well, he did completely refute the meaning behind your point though. Seattle his season has been about as bad a road team as Denver has been a bad offense. When you are the best or tied for the best at something, it's not exactly a weakness in any shape or form. Bringing it up just sounds like you are grasping at straws, my friend.

I don't mind if you debate or bring facts to the table, but I kinda put a lot of thought / work into the OP and would appreciate if this thread wasn't hijacked by silly argumentative "nuh uhs." Thanks in advance.

themunn

Reaction score
MileHighFish":wa9xcpic said:
themunn":wa9xcpic said:
MileHighFish":wa9xcpic said:

Then why bring it up?
It's about as relevant as me saying "Denver aren't the same team without Ryan Clady". It's relevant because their offensive line would probably be even better with him in... but at the same time Denver still had the number 1 offensive line in the league, so in actual fact it's completely irrelevant.

MileHighFish

Reaction score
It would probably make more sense to compare common opponents on the road then imo. Common opponents include NY, Houston and Indy. Seattle went 2-1 with wins over Houston (23-20) and NY (23-0) with a loss at Indy (34-28). Denver also went 2-1 with wins at NY (41-23), Houston (37-13) with a loss at Indy (39-33). Based on scores alone, both teams appear fairly comparable without digging too deep as it's time for bed....

seahawksny

Reaction score
calinator":2vvjaw48 said:

I worry about this too. That happens? We lose

Timberhawk

Reaction score
Hmm, we lead the league in QB pressures as I recall. Something like 33% of passing attempts we get pressure on the QB. We don't lead in sacks, but I think that is because we don't blitz quite as often. Also, against San Fran we basically used our blitzer to spy in case Kap ran. I know Peyton is the best against the blitz, so it will be interesting to see what happens there and will be a key to the game no doubt.

One thing I was thinking. You know how Peyton has always had that stigma he doesn't play as well in big games thing? At Tennessee he could never beat Florida for ex. Well I don't think it is psychological because he is way too good and prepared for that. I know Florida always had amazingly fast and tough defenses. So, I am wondering if in those big games he has struggled in if they were against teams with disruptive defenses that threw off his timing/rhythm? I live in KC now too and have seen the Broncs a lot these past two years and it seems like that is what has happened in the games they have struggled or lost like against San Diego this year. San Diego's D is nothing like ours and they seemed to cause Peyton some challenges. Of course, Schaub threw for over 300 in a half against us but then we shut him down, so you never know.

It is going to be a great game. Who knows what happens but I would be way more surprised if we lost by ten then if we won by ten. I too having seen both teams play a lot the past two years am feeling more confident with this game than our last two.

Go Hawks!!