Why did we pass on Carter?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
OP, one word sums it up with far too much proof of it’s truth, or descriptive adjectives surrounding that word, talented or not, that word is simply: CHARACTER.

Carter was not seen to be the type of player the team wanted to be here to potentially screw up or infect the team with self entitled selfish or dishonest football character. Too risky a pick.

I applaud the team for not drafting him.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Hawks were not going to acquiesced to Carters.."top 10" demand. Raised the red flags upon the other flags already raised.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Yeah, I think most people have the same line of reasoning, but I saw an interesting take:

All of these bad habits he had and/or developed while playing at UGA, a lot of people think a change of scenery would help him...but he's going right back to being around a bunch of old college teammates (and one coach I believe?). If these people weren't helping him be accountable then, what makes you think they are going to help him now, when there is whole lot less incentive after he has been drafted?

Just a different take that I thought rang true.
Good point

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I think had this been a few years ago, Carter would be a Seahawk. Since then, Seattle has changed their draft criteria.

Carter is the exactly the type of player that Seattle has failed with. He refused to take responsibility, refused to hone his craft and coasted on talent. I would have been more surprised had we drafted him. I remember people ridiculing me and people like Stanton for saying that Pete wouldn’t touch Carter.

Ozzy

Reaction score
OP, one word sums it up with far too much proof of it’s truth, or descriptive adjectives surrounding that word, talented or not, that word is simply: CHARACTER.

Carter was not seen to be the type of player the team wanted to be here to potentially screw up or infect the team with self entitled selfish or dishonest football character. Too risky a pick.

I applaud the team for not drafting him.
And if he turns out to be a HOF I'm still ok with it because I think the process is a good one and you will hit more than you miss with it.

BASF

Reaction score
If your coaches can't say anything nice when you're out the door I would guess Seattle removed him completely from their board.
Harbaugh had nothing good to say about Sherman and Baldwin when they were out the door. I think the main difference is that they used it as fuel. If Carter uses this as fuel to hone his craft and take it seriously he ends up in the hall of fame.

BASF

Reaction score
Hawks were not going to acquiesced to Carters.."top 10" demand. Raised the red flags upon the other flags already raised.
I may not like Drew Rosenhaus, but the guy is a damn good agent and I guarantee that the Eagles told him that if Carter lasts until ten, they will choose him. Why wouldn't he tell people that his client won't visit anyone beyond that? It is so weird that people believe that Carter made this decision on his own. He isn't some schmuck that represents himself and costs himself leverage and connections.

warden

Reaction score
I always want a dominant DL every draft. But what I want more is for the Seahawks to trust their process, stick to their board and do their Due diligence on every prospect that comes their way

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I may not like Drew Rosenhaus, but the guy is a damn good agent and I guarantee that the Eagles told him that if Carter lasts until ten, they will choose him. Why wouldn't he tell people that his client won't visit anyone beyond that? It is so weird that people believe that Carter made this decision on his own. He isn't some schmuck that represents himself and costs himself leverage and connections.
Does it matter who said it? I don't think so.

olyfan63

Reaction score
When John Schneider was asked about their experience in meetings with Carter, he said something to the affect that he was 'easy to pass up'...

So the really must not have liked him as a person and had serious reservations about his character.
I believe the actual quote from Schneider was "NOT easy to pass up"
The .NET poster who originally posted that quote later corrected to add the NOT.
Also, sniff test, can you imagine a diplomat like Schneider publicly making a tactless quote like that about a prospect? I can't.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He didn't workout at the combine.

He lied to teams at the combine, at the very least lying by omission about the fatal accident and his part in that situation. Then he left the combine suddenly early to deal with the arrest warrant which only surfaced and his misconduct was revealed after the combine was mostly over for his position group.

He bombed in his workout at his Pro Day and was overweight and out of shape.

He had difficulties staying in shape as reported by his team.

His coaches had little good to say about his attitude to practicing and conditioning. I'm sure there was more here as well as it was reported he needed to be babysat to keep him focused on football.

He displayed self entitlement issues with his attitude to team visits, albeit through his agent, and perhaps in person.

His behaviour betrayed an immaturity that was concerning about what the future for him might bring up.

There is little doubt he was talented but at what cost?

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
‘Cause he’s an out of shape ass with serious off field and character issues -

Philly can HAVE him.

I was saying please god pass on carter for a month and a half -

SO glad Pete and John did the right thing on this!

there’s guys that you don’t want to be a seahawk - and he’s the poster child !

hawker84

Reaction score
Doesn't matter why, the fact is they did and even KJ said we still have a glaring hole in our defense. Doesn't matter how good our back end is, if the front 7 is mediocre, our defense is is mediocre. How we going to stop the run? Mone`? Bring back big AL on a veteran minimum? Passing on Carter , ok fine, but you're telling me there was no one else in that draft 2nd or 3rd rd better than Mone` ?

renofox

Reaction score
Passing on Carter , ok fine, but you're telling me there was no one else in that draft 2nd or 3rd rd better than Mone` ?
Cameron Young. Hr was there in the 2nd and 3rd, and we got him in the 4th.

I think he'll be much better than Mone.

chris98251

Reaction score
He is going to be a rotten apple in Phillies defense, think of Jeff George mentality, all the talent in the world but the head, attitude self entitlement, thinking your so good you don't need to put the work in physically or class room. Maybe Jamarcus Russell is a better example.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
He is going to be a rotten apple in Phillies defense, think of Jeff George mentality, all the talent in the world but the head, attitude self entitlement, thinking your so good you don't need to put the work in physically or class room. Maybe Jamarcus Russell is a better example.
Agreed……..the Seahawks new focus on prospects that love the game…..work hard and leave it all on the field is a good change of direction for them. 👍🍻🍻🍻

Ozzy

Reaction score
Harbaugh had nothing good to say about Sherman and Baldwin when they were out the door. I think the main difference is that they used it as fuel. If Carter uses this as fuel to hone his craft and take it seriously he ends up in the hall of fame.
I dont think their exits were anything like Carters though. It sounds like the whole staff was glad to see him gone. I dont think that was the case with Sherman and Baldwin who both loved football and their effort was never questioned.

But I do agree, if Carter uses this as fuel and works his butt off his potential is sky high. I hope he does honestly.

toffee

Reaction score
We took a BIG risk not drafting him, he could change our DL's fortune.
We would have taken a BIGGER risk by drafting hm, he could be the second coming of Jamarcus Russell.