Why did we pass on Carter?

Donn2390

Reaction score
From the article;
Why pass on Jalen Carter? The Georgia stud who most saw as the first-overall pick in this draft until off-the-field incidents and a bad pro-day workout in March was available to Seattle at five. Carroll and Schneider had talked to him in person three times in six weeks: at the combine, at his pro day and in Seattle on a pre-draft top-30 visit.

Schneider said, ultimately, it wasn’t hard to pass on Carter.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
The combination of attributes + drawbacks made Carter not as good of a candidate as Witherspoon. It's a simple as that.

I say that as someone who really wanted Carter, and was disappointed when we didn't draft him. But I'm over it now, and I'm really excited for who we got.

hoxrox

Reaction score
They did their homework, and as much as I want a dominate D-line that's feared around the league, I'm ok with the non-pick.

Like John said, they gotta stay true to what they do.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Lack of *consistent* production (sacks) and coming off the field gassed too much. The judgment concerns (car racing death) just added fuel to the fire.

Ozzy

Reaction score
A few posters would get mad any time you suggested that they wouldn't pass on him because of the character issues but they told us over and over it was a point of emphasis. I think he is so talented at a position of need that they did their homework but he was off their board after that process was over.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think they pass on him at 20 too if he fell. While I was a 100% no at 5 Philly might actually be the perfect place for Carter because of so many of his ex-teammates around him and they are in a much better spot roster wise to take a chance on Carter. Wouldn't shock me if he turns into a monster there. I just don't think it wouldn've happened in Seattle.

GGotskill

Reaction score
Philly might actually be the perfect place for Carter because of so many of his ex-teammates around him and they are in a much better spot roster wise to take a chance on Carter. Wouldn't shock me if he turns into a monster there. I just don't think it wouldn've happened in Seattle.

Yeah, I think most people have the same line of reasoning, but I saw an interesting take:

All of these bad habits he had and/or developed while playing at UGA, a lot of people think a change of scenery would help him...but he's going right back to being around a bunch of old college teammates (and one coach I believe?). If these people weren't helping him be accountable then, what makes you think they are going to help him now, when there is whole lot less incentive after he has been drafted?

Just a different take that I thought rang true.

GGotskill

Reaction score
If Tom Cable were still around, he would have advocated drafting him at 5 and turning him into a center.

I know Cable gets a lot of grief around here, and rightfully so, but he was reasonably successful the couple of times he tried this out. It was mostly day 3 picks/UDFAs, and Hawks got above projected starts for the large majority of them.

Ozzy

Reaction score

Ozzy

Reaction score
Yeah, I think most people have the same line of reasoning, but I saw an interesting take:

All of these bad habits he had and/or developed while playing at UGA, a lot of people think a change of scenery would help him...but he's going right back to being around a bunch of old college teammates (and one coach I believe?). If these people weren't helping him be accountable then, what makes you think they are going to help him now, when there is whole lot less incentive after he has been drafted?

Just a different take that I thought rang true.
This is a completely valid point that I hadn't thought about.