Why’re we deprioritizing Ahlers?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Ahlers has been released again before week 2, this time for a center who’s been bouncing around our ps. Plus we have hunt also on ps. Plus we drafted Olu, and our center isn’t injured or really an issue.

I

AgentDib

Reaction score
Greg Eiland, Jason Peters, McClendon Curtis and Raiqwon O'Neal are all tackles. Ben Brown is the backup RG who may see action this week if Lewis's shoulder isn't markedly better.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Eiland is interesting. He was a senior at Mississippi St while Cross was a freshman in 2020 and has been kicking around our program for the last three years. He has the same length as Forsythe but isn't quite as athletic. The height causes him similar problems in the running game, as it's tough for the 6'8" guys to get low enough to move 6'3" DTs around. He's been pretty good in limited pass pro and was very helpful as a mentor to Cross last year.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
I don’t think Ahlers is an NFL caliber QB. He went undrafted for a reason, and hasn’t received interest from other teams, so I’m not sure there’s a significant amount of value in keeping him unless they are facing a very run heavy QB (for scout team) or envision a Taysom Hill role for him in the future.

Personally, given the lack of depth on OL and DL around the league, I see the wisdom in stockpiling as many bodies as possible.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I don’t think Ahlers is an NFL caliber QB. He went undrafted for a reason, and hasn’t received interest from other teams, so I’m not sure there’s a significant amount of value in keeping him unless they are facing a very run heavy QB (for scout team) or envision a Taysom Hill role for him in the future.

Personally, given the lack of depth on OL and DL around the league, I see the wisdom in stockpiling as many bodies as possible.

We could easily replace him with Sean Mannion

flv2

Reaction score
Peters is on the PS so he may not be game ready immediately. The Seahawks need PS spots to evaluate other OL options.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Hopefully he never sees the field in a regular season game.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
By doing what we are doing, we may as well not have a qb3 on ps. We Are not even to week 2 and two teams already Will already be utilizing Them. The jets don’t HAVE to find a qb2 within days, and either do the Rams.

If We are Giving up on Ahlers as a project, then let’s just hire Mannion or someone.

Last edited:

kidhawk

Reaction score
Peters is on the PS so he may not be game ready immediately. The Seahawks need PS spots to evaluate other OL options.
You may be right but I was thinking he was eligible for the PS so they put him there leaving the roster space to poach from other PS

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Because he's not very good?

That may very well be. In that case, get Mannion, or Bryce Perkins, or another fa option that Has had game time before they get snapped up.

Already, three teams have had to promote ps qbs. Rodgers got hurt. Stetson Bennett and Matt Corral went on indefinite leave. After Corral, Belichick promoted Zappe from ps, kept Malik Cunningham on it and signed Ian Book as a second ps qb.

The worst option is no Option.

nanomoz

Reaction score
They probably have a list with a certain number of street names on it that they keep in a "break glass in emergency" sort of way. If they were to lose both Lock and Smith, the perspective on the entire season would need to change anyway. So if they had to roll out a Michael Dickson-wildcat for a quarter or two, who cares, you know? At that point, I would hope to see Pete drinking Rainier Beer tallboys on the sideline.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I don't get the angst over a potential 3rd string rookie FA QB who showed a moderate skill set in preseason. Let me know when and if we are down the top 2 QBs, then I'll start caring. But thats just me.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
They probably have a list with a certain number of street names on it that they keep in a "break glass in emergency" sort of way. If they were to lose both Lock and Smith, the perspective on the entire season would need to change anyway. So if they had to roll out a Michael Dickson-wildcat for a quarter or two, who cares, you know? At that point, I would hope to see Pete drinking Rainier Beer tallboys on the sideline.

The need would happen were either Geno or Lock out, not both.

I get the “break glass” philosophy, but it poses the disadvantage of panic.

Because the Rams had Rypien, they elevated him before the Jets could get him.
Because the Jets had Tim Boyle, they didn’t really care.
Because the Patriots had Zappe to elevate, same.

flv2

Reaction score
I suspect Ahlers will be in Detroit on Sunday regardless of whether he's on a roster or not.