Who will our back up be?

rossob

Reaction score
vigilantgrrl":2346ojih said:
How about someone who can actually compete with and/or push Wilson?
Are you willing to trade up to get one of the first QBs or what is your plan on that? Russell is so good that it is unlikely that we will find someone who is better. So our best bet imo is to get someone in the later rounds and just hope luck strikes again and that if not he at least develops into a decent backup.

pcbball12

Reaction score
toffee":2v7rzgt8 said:
Chapow":2v7rzgt8 said:
vigilantgrrl":2v7rzgt8 said:

Such as?

Kaepernick! Hoping our ownership will grow a pair and sign him.
Why would the release of Boykin all of a sudden cause our front office to sign Kaep? As if Boykin was a lock as our backup so there was no point to sign a legit option? If Kaep wasn’t an option before the release of Boykin, the release of him is not going to suddenly change that. Isn’t Paul Allen one of the owners in the lawsuit brought on by Kaep? He will never be a Seahawk if that is the case.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":17x2tjkw said:
Kaep would immediately be the best backup in the league. I'm pulling for a signing.

Did you just black out during the month of January and first week of February?

Anyway our backup will be Kellen Clemens IMO.

crosfam

Reaction score
Colin Kaepernick should be the back-up. We should hold off on drafting a QB. We need to be ready in case Russ goes down.

RFA for the PS - Chris Streveler, South Dakota. I saw him play last year.

Cheap alternative - I always though Geno Smith had something, just not sure what.

toffee

Reaction score
crosfam":32vtg6xy said:
Colin Kaepernick should be the back-up. We should hold off on drafting a QB. We need to be ready in case Russ goes down.

RFA for the PS - Chris Streveler, South Dakota. I saw him play last year.

Cheap alternative - I always though Geno Smith had something, just not sure what.

Russ is our team's single point of failure, kaepernick isn't as good as Russ, but he sure is a poor men's Russ.

Seymour

Reaction score
pcbball12":17yx5a8l said:
toffee":17yx5a8l said:
Chapow":17yx5a8l said:
vigilantgrrl":17yx5a8l said:

Such as?

Kaepernick! Hoping our ownership will grow a pair and sign him.
Why would the release of Boykin all of a sudden cause our front office to sign Kaep? As if Boykin was a lock as our backup so there was no point to sign a legit option? If Kaep wasn’t an option before the release of Boykin, the release of him is not going to suddenly change that. Isn’t Paul Allen one of the owners in the lawsuit brought on by Kaep? He will never be a Seahawk if that is the case.

I approve of this message.

Fade

Reaction score
Kaepernick the most overrated QB in NFL history.

-Stares down receivers.
-Predetermines where he is throwing the ball pre-snap, thus missing wide open uncovered receivers.
-Horrible pocket presence, has no feel from where the rush is coming.
-Terrible footwork in the pocket, has no ability to slide and move to deliver the football while evading pressure.
-Awkward arm motion which disallows him to throw with touch.
-Despite mobility has low accuracy while throwing on the run, which goes back to his mechanics.
-Showed no ability to get better, and work on his mechanics & footwork in multiple off-seasons.
-Coaches have to gameplan extra hard for him to consistently get his 1st read open.
-Entitled, thinks he is better than he really is, and it is everyone elses fault, lack of leadership.
-$$$$$$ too much.
-Brings off field baggage, and a media circus something you do not want from a backup QB.
-Been out of the game for a while now, how much have his skills deteriorated?

+When he takes off and runs he is pretty amazing, but really only as a runner.
+When his first read is open he can laser it in there.
+Does a good job of not throwing interceptions, despite all his flaws he doesn't throw it to the other team.

Austin Davis worked with Schotty in the past. He is the backup currently. A prospect will be added from the upcoming rookie class to add competition.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
vin.couve12":jnxdomty said:
The time is meow to start a Pats type plan. Ironically, I hear the Pats are interested in this one.

[youtube]aPqpczv7B3Y[/youtube]

This is the guy I was going to mention. We'd be able to trade him for a day 1 pick in a few years.

Redsand187

Reaction score
Kaep would be great. Worst case, he sucks balls and we don't have to play him unless in a major emergency. Best case, he learns from Russ and the coaches, proves himself as a reliable QB again, and we can trade him off in a couple years for something/someone good.

original poster

Reaction score
I take the stance that I honesty don't care who the backup is.

If Russ goes down the season would be over anyway. If it happened early on we'd be looking at a top 10 draft pick in 201 I'd imagine.

Blindside

Reaction score
I think it would be awesome to have Kap backup Russel Wilson. Same scrambling and good running quarterback.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Would anyone here genuinely entertain the idea of employing Mr Buttfumble? Other fan bases are already enjoying the 'Re-Tooling' or whatever it's been christened. This would make it open season, and rightly so.

I'd rather see Kaepernick signed, given the choice of what's currently available. If Russ goes out (and yes, it would mean bigger things later) I'd want someone with some experience to steady the rest of the players in the huddle. He's got more experience than most, and he would at least be able to ride out an offense built around Wilson's skill set.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
pcbball12":1rfeck3x said:
Isn’t Paul Allen one of the owners in the lawsuit brought on by Kap? He will never be a Seahawk if that is the case.

I don't think they will, but the Seahawks have every reason in the world to sign Kaepernick as a backup.

(1) He fits the Hawks' scheme and what they're doing. You want your backup QB to be an inferior mirror of your starting QB, and that's exactly what Kap is to Wilson. He's mobile, can throw intermediate and deep both inside and outside the numbers, and he doesn't turn the ball over (he even has a lower career turnover rate than Wilson, and not turning the ball over is very necessary in the type of offense Carroll wants to run, and is one of Wilson's strengths).

(2) People can nitpick Kaepernick's game all they want, but when doing so you have to remember that you are comparing him to other backup quarterbacks.. Yes, his game has holes, but most starting QB's games have holes, and every backup QB's game has holes.

Simply put, if you want to say Kap sucks you have to be arguing that he's significantly worse than some of the best backups in the NFL: guys like Trevor Siemian, Colt McCoy, or Chad Henne. It's incredibly hard to make a case that he's not significantly better than these guys, and remember, they're regarded as some of the top backups in the NFL.

Maybe you want to evoke Nick Foles, fine, I don't think Foles is better than him but if you want to evoke Foles your argument is then that Kaepernick would be the second best backup QB in the NFL instead of the first. :lol:

(3) It is in all of the owners' best interests for Kaepernick to be on an NFL roster this year. To be honest as a collective I think the owners are too prideful, dumb, [and other things] to realize this, but the damage of the collusion case isn't just that it's possible Kaepernick might win (if he wins the NFL will have to give 15-30 million bucks or something, that's not really much for the NFL), the real damage is anything that leaks out from the depositions or the process of discovery. 15-30 million is a friggin bargain for the NFL in trade for not having to deal with the news cycles around this.

Long story short, if someone signed Kap the collusion case likely gets dropped and goes away, which is what every NFL owner should want. If the Hawks brought in Kap he'd be doing his 31 other billionaire buddies a huge solid, and dramatically improving his depth at the QB spot in the process.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Seriously? Have we unloaded enough drama and distraction that we can afford to bring in the soap opera that is Kaep? Some of you really advocate for that? Out of the options listed in this thread I would guess Sanchez because when in doubt Pete goes with his former players.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Tbh, yes, I think the team can cope with it.

They coped with a few years of Bennett taking his stands, players kneeling and Doug Baldwin seeking a different path to the same goal at the same time. They coped with Sherman's outspokenness and Marshawn's evasiveness in the face of the sports press. They coped with Percy Harvin punching out Golden Tate (or whichever story you believe), after which they won a Super Bowl. Pete brushes this stuff off and preaches to his players to do the same - and when they stop listening, as has been evidenced on many occasions, they're out.

Minor point worth noting: Kaepernick may also prove to be a solid investment in the light of the Rams putting Suh next to Aaron Donald on their D line, given what each of those has done to Wilson on their own...

Latest posts