Who will cover the Rams?

Marvin49

Reaction score
AvengerRam":1u8rlq1k said:
Let's be honest here.

Marvin desperately wants to believe that the Rams' success againt the Whiners last year was due, in large part, to Jackson and Amendola, two players no longer on the team.

The reality is, the Rams' defense was the primary reason. They held the Niners to 37 points in 10 quarters, and scored a key safety and TD.

The Rams defense, with guys like Quinn, Brockers and Jenkins still improving, and the addition of Alec Ogletree, should be as good or better than last year.

That's what has guys like Marvin feeling a bit uneasy, and I don't blame him for feeling that way.

I don't feel uneasy at all about the Rams. Seattle tho...that's a different story. Thats why I'm here on a SEATTLE forum and not a Rams forum.

What I find funny tho is how desperate Rams fans seem to try to inject themselves into the conversation.

For the record, I attribute the loss to the Rams last year to great D by the Rams and a couple flukie plays. I attribute the tie to a good game from Jackson and Amendola, more good D by the Rams and Kaeps first extended game action. If I asked a Seattle fan about the loss to SF at Candlestick last year, I'd probably hear something about good D from the 49ers along with dropped passes by Seattle receivers, Wilson still making his way as a young QB and an OC who still had the training wheels on.

I wouldn't get all defensive because they didn't attribute 100% of the win to great play by the Niners. I wouldn't be offended by that because its TRUE. It's true in most games that the team that lost has a hand in why they lost.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
RamzFanz":1hros13t said:
I know no one will acknowledge what they have done, but it's going to be impressive.

No, we won't and for one very good reason: until your team actually gets out on the field and starts playing games, you haven't done squat. Until your new backs and receivers get out there and prove they can consistently perform against NFL-level talent, you haven't done squat. Until your quarterback actually takes the next step and starts playing up to his potential, you haven't done squat. Until your defense proves it can build off of an admittedly good campaign in 2013, you haven't done squat.

There have been too many teams over the years that have put together impressive-looking offseasons only to collapse when the games start counting for anyone to buy into this Rams team before the season even starts. Seattle and San Francisco are playoff teams. The Rams haven't even gotten to .500 since 2004. Until your team can change that, don't expect anyone here to fall down and anoint St. Louis as the next big thing. It's a big step from "respectable team" to "playoff team" and your Rams haven't done it yet.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Vernon Davis ran a 4.3 forty and did it at 6'3" 250. Is a far better athlete than Bailey or Austin, and is a better football player all around. Seattle seems to handle him just fine...Rams WR? Please.

I'd also like to point out that none of the RBs in St. Louis have scored a rushing TD in the NFL.

Just like their WRs (well they're a little better with a whopping NINE TDs! NINE...COMBINED).

Maybe the Rams should fu :34853_doh: ng do something before their fans say ANYTHING. This thread is a joke.

Sac

Reaction score
Even the great Steven Jackson never managed 100 yards on the ground against the Seahawks.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Marvin should just drop a picture of their NFC Championship banner or shirt and be done with it.

Lord knows Ram fans forgot what those are like.

OP
OP
RamzFanz

RamzFanz

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":3afvwg3x said:
RamzFanz":3afvwg3x said:
I know no one will acknowledge what they have done, but it's going to be impressive.

No, we won't and for one very good reason: until your team actually gets out on the field and starts playing games, you haven't done squat. Until your new backs and receivers get out there and prove they can consistently perform against NFL-level talent, you haven't done squat. Until your quarterback actually takes the next step and starts playing up to his potential, you haven't done squat. Until your defense proves it can build off of an admittedly good campaign in 2013, you haven't done squat.

There have been too many teams over the years that have put together impressive-looking offseasons only to collapse when the games start counting for anyone to buy into this Rams team before the season even starts. Seattle and San Francisco are playoff teams. The Rams haven't even gotten to .500 since 2004. Until your team can change that, don't expect anyone here to fall down and anoint St. Louis as the next big thing. It's a big step from "respectable team" to "playoff team" and your Rams haven't done it yet.

I always wonder why opposing fans think the Rams are depending on just new players. Richardson is a second year player. Richardson had more YPC than SJ39 and, despite having 160 less carries, had many longer runs than SJ. Givens had a rookie record 5 consecutive games with catches over 50 yards and developed a solid intermediate game the second half of the season. Kendricks is a good TE. Almost the entire D is back. Bradford set many rookie records and improves the w/l ratio by his presence on the field. He surpassed his stellar rookie season last season. His RZ rating the last 8 games when the O line was decent was 102.

That alone, of course, is NOT a winning team.

The O line has to be better and stay healthy. They added Long and they are currently pretty healthy. Crossing fingers.

The passing game has to improve. You don't think Givens, Cook, Austin, Kendricks and Bailey with a decent O line for once will improve the passing game from last season? Even Pettis and Quick are showing great improvement. This is going to sound homer, and you'll probably dismiss it, but Givens may go elite this season. He really is that good. Cook and Kendricks may be the best TE tandem in the NFL. Cook is looking like Bradford's favorite and he's been nothing short of amazing in TC. TA and Bailey are both tearing it up in TC. Bradford has never come close to having this many potential targets. I honestly believe the Rams have 4-5 future pro bowl skill players on this O this season.

The Rams have a very good D for the first time in many seasons. Also for the first time in many seasons, the O is actually playing this very good D and beating them in camp. That may not sound like a big thing to you, but when the Rams receivers can beat the Rams corners, that's a big deal. They are very good corners and we know that's a big sign that we haven't seen since the GSOT.

What the Hawks' and Niners' fans say is true, they are unproven as a unit. What I'm saying is the potential for the Rams to compete for the NFCW title is far far greater than you are seeing. It's an offense with deep talent. It's their first time in the same O system which allowed them to spend all their time improving instead of starting all over. Universally, from the front office, to the coaches, to the players, to the reporters and fans, and even to the skeptics, people are starting to see massive potential in the Rams that just hasn't been there in a long time.

Not for 2015 or 2014, THIS season.

We aren't claiming any victories for the Rams (well, maybe a few over the top statements). Just giving fair warning, they aren't what you think.

Throwdown

Reaction score
you're comparing a kitten to two grizzly bears.

I feel disrespected to have Rams fans on here trying to get acceptance about their little team.

OP
OP
RamzFanz

RamzFanz

Reaction score
By the way, I apologize for the post in Seahawks forum. It should have been in the NFL forum. And I have made a few over the top remarks that were unworthy of my actual position.

I can't help but be passionate and excited about this season. It is going to be one hell of a NFCW battle.

OP
OP
RamzFanz

RamzFanz

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":10dot5g0 said:
Vernon Davis ran a 4.3 forty and did it at 6'3" 250. Is a far better athlete than Bailey or Austin, and is a better football player all around. Seattle seems to handle him just fine...Rams WR? Please.

I'd also like to point out that none of the RBs in St. Louis have scored a rushing TD in the NFL.

Just like their WRs (well they're a little better with a whopping NINE TDs! NINE...COMBINED).

Maybe the Rams should fu :34853_doh: ng do something before their fans say ANYTHING. This thread is a joke.

It's a little early to call Vernon "a far better athlete" than Austin or Bailey, don't you think? I mean, seriously, Vernon is a top guy and I have nothing but respect for him, but Austin is an amazing athlete. We'll see how well that translates to the NFL, but announcers would say things like "You aren't suppossed to be abe to do that in football" and "He has the best feet in college football today" and "He's Houdini" and "WOW... just WOW. So, he may possibly have a little talent? No? 4.25 40 speed MIGHT help a little?

Bailey had 1,600 yards and 25 TD's as a senior. Not exactly talentless. Is that fair? I mean, he CAN catch a ball at least, yes?

How about Givens? A rookie record 5 straight games with 50+ yard catches? 4.3 speed? Is he really so easy to cover?

Cook and Kendricks? Cook with a 4.49 40, 6'5" at 250 and a catch radius the size of Texas? Are they talentless too?

I honestly think you are in for a shock. Honestly. Sincerely.

NOPE, it's not for sure and it is unproven, but my 35 years watching football and consistent top FF performances tell me something very big is brewing in STL. We'll see.

OP
OP
RamzFanz

RamzFanz

Reaction score
Marvin49":bg8vba2d said:
I don't feel uneasy at all about the Rams. Seattle tho...that's a different story. Thats why I'm here on a SEATTLE forum and not a Rams forum.

What I find funny tho is how desperate Rams fans seem to try to inject themselves into the conversation.

For the record, I attribute the loss to the Rams last year to great D by the Rams and a couple flukie plays. I attribute the tie to a good game from Jackson and Amendola, more good D by the Rams and Kaeps first extended game action. If I asked a Seattle fan about the loss to SF at Candlestick last year, I'd probably hear something about good D from the 49ers along with dropped passes by Seattle receivers, Wilson still making his way as a young QB and an OC who still had the training wheels on.

I wouldn't get all defensive because they didn't attribute 100% of the win to great play by the Niners. I wouldn't be offended by that because its TRUE. It's true in most games that the team that lost has a hand in why they lost.

We are the early messengers that a third and previously unknown army has entered the battle and they are far more dangerous than you may presume.

By the way, that "great D" is, just as often as not, getting schooled in camp by the amazing offense Fisher / Snead and company has put together.

It's OK not to see it at this point because you probably don't follow the Rams that close, but you don't just beat the Rams' corners with nobodies.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RamzFanz":3mfceivz said:
Marvin49":3mfceivz said:

We are the early messengers that a third and previously unknown army has entered the battle and they are far more dangerous than you may presume.

By the way, that "great D" is, just as often as not, getting schooled in camp by the amazing offense Fisher / Snead and company has put together.

It's OK not to see it at this point because you probably don't follow the Rams that close, but you don't just beat the Rams' corners with nobodies.

I've seen alot of offseason dreams fade quickly in September. I have no doubt that you believe what you are saying, but you also have to understand how the chest beating sounds to 49er and Seahawk fans. IE...false.

I get that you are excited for the coming season...and I would be to if my team had been under .500 in 18 of the last 22 years. It doesn't happen overnight tho. Teams are more than the sum of thier parts. It takes time for players to come together. Vernon Davis and Michael Crabtree were both at one point spoken about as busts. I wouldn't expect any rookie receiver to come in and light the NFL on fire. It very rarely happens. Does that mean it can't? Of course not...but don't set yourself up for disappointment. If I were a Rams fan I'd approach this season the way i approached 49er seasons several years ago. I saw the talent but I understood it takes time to put it all together.

chris98251

Reaction score
Austin may be an athlete, but Reggie Bush was suppose to be all that also and while he can be dynamic what has he really done other then a few notable plays here and there, Desmond Howard was another Athlete, had a MVP moment in a Super bowl with his Kick returning not his receiveing abilities, Thats what I see as an Austin upside, I don't see him being Terry Metcalf, who was by far the best undersized player I have ever watched, even he had injuries shorten his career.

Austin may make explosive plays, but I liken it to a small guy fighting a big guy, small guy gets inside and gets a shot or two here and there, but he pays a high price for every blow he lands in just physical domination. Once tired or worn down some the big guy makes it hurt bad for those couple shots the small guy got in earlier.

AvengerRam

Reaction score
chris98251":i0obn00p said:
Austin may be an athlete, but Reggie Bush was suppose to be all that also and while he can be dynamic what has he really done other then a few notable plays here and there, Desmond Howard was another Athlete, had a MVP moment in a Super bowl with his Kick returning not his receiveing abilities, Thats what I see as an Austin upside, I don't see him being Terry Metcalf, who was by far the best undersized player I have ever watched, even he had injuries shorten his career.

Austin may make explosive plays, but I liken it to a small guy fighting a big guy, small guy gets inside and gets a shot or two here and there, but he pays a high price for every blow he lands in just physical domination. Once tired or worn down some the big guy makes it hurt bad for those couple shots the small guy got in earlier.

Wouldn't all of these comments be good arguments against paying a King's ransom for Percy Harvin?

Marvin49

Reaction score
AvengerRam":3lu6arav said:
chris98251":3lu6arav said:

Wouldn't all of these comments be good arguments against paying a King's ransom for Percy Harvin?

Harvin is 3 inches taller and at least 10-15 lbs heavier.

Just sayin'.

AvengerRam

Reaction score
Marvin49":226uv1zw said:
AvengerRam":226uv1zw said:
chris98251":226uv1zw said:

Just sayin'.

Not exactly. According to the teams' official web sites, their heights/weights are as follows:

Harvin: 5'11, 184
Austin: 5'8, 176

So... Austin is only 8 pounds lighter despite being 3 inches shorter. That would suggest that Austin is as muscular, if not more so, than Harvin.

Both players, though, are significantly lighter than the average player that hits them in a game, so the analogy is appropriate.

OP
OP
RamzFanz

RamzFanz

Reaction score
Marvin49":1nj9b5ls said:
RamzFanz":1nj9b5ls said:

I've seen alot of offseason dreams fade quickly in September. I have no doubt that you believe what you are saying, but you also have to understand how the chest beating sounds to 49er and Seahawk fans. IE...false.

I get that you are excited for the coming season...and I would be to if my team had been under .500 in 18 of the last 22 years. It doesn't happen overnight tho. Teams are more than the sum of thier parts. It takes time for players to come together. Vernon Davis and Michael Crabtree were both at one point spoken about as busts. I wouldn't expect any rookie receiver to come in and light the NFL on fire. It very rarely happens. Does that mean it can't? Of course not...but don't set yourself up for disappointment. If I were a Rams fan I'd approach this season the way i approached 49er seasons several years ago. I saw the talent but I understood it takes time to put it all together.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I've been watching football long enough to be a reasonable judge of talent. This is the real deal.

The perception that the Rams are talking about Rookies is a false perception. The O line consists of many former first round draft picks and pro bowl veterans. The D are almost all returning players except one safety and Ogletree. The O skill players, Bradford, Givens, Quick, Pettis, Kendricks, Richardson, Pead, and Gannaway are all returning players. Cook is a veteran. Kickers and punters are returning players.

The only Rookies that are starting on O are TA, who will play many roles and is an exceptional talent, and Bailey, who is also looking far better than could be expected at this point. Quite frankly, they are the icing on the cake and I'm very confident they will contribute enough to give the Rams a formidable O. If TA only returned kicks and punts and Bailey only spelled Givens when he needed it, that alone may be enough. Givens and Cook are looking to be elite this season. Kendricks is a solid TE and Quick and Pettis are coming on strong. Bradford can throw and Richardson can run and catch. Pead may just be as good as his talent. Stacy is also good but probably not really needed yet.

OP
OP
RamzFanz

RamzFanz

Reaction score
chris98251":67qiy97x said:

See, I've watched a LOT of TA and I think you're not seeing how this guy survives and thrives.

One of his best talents is avoiding the hit. He missed a total of zero games and one practice in HS and college.

The man has no pride! He runs out of bounds and goes down like a $2 wh... well, you know what I mean. I was watching his highlight reel and in this one play he was trapped on the sideline by three defenders who were going to pound him. So he stutter steps. At first I thought he was trying to pull a move but then I realised he was just forcing them to change speed and direction so they wouldn't have the angle or momentum to put the hit on him. He takes the yards left and steps out.

So, I don't think your analogy is correct. The big guy doesn't get to hit back because he eliminates the opportunity. Will that transfer to the NFL? God, I hope so.

Marvin49

Reaction score
AvengerRam":2ehxrary said:
Marvin49":2ehxrary said:
AvengerRam":2ehxrary said:

Just sayin'.

Not exactly. According to the teams' official web sites, their heights/weights are as follows:

So... Austin is only 8 pounds lighter despite being 3 inches shorter. That would suggest that Austin is as muscular, if not more so, than Harvin.

Both players, though, are significantly lighter than the average player that hits them in a game, so the analogy is appropriate.

...and you are using the combine weight of a player who's been in the league now for several years. I highly doubt Harvin is still 184 lbs. Players usually put on weight in NFL training rooms.

sutz

Reaction score
RamzFanz":2959qvvp said:
chris98251":2959qvvp said:

See, I've watched a LOT of TA and I think you're not seeing how this guy survives and thrives.

One of his best talents is avoiding the hit. He missed a total of zero games and one practice in HS and college.

The man has no pride! He runs out of bounds and goes down like a $2 wh... well, you know what I mean. I was watching his highlight reel and in this one play he was trapped on the sideline by three defenders who were going to pound him. So he stutter steps. At first I thought he was trying to pull a move but then I realised he was just forcing them to change speed and direction so they couldn't put the hit on him. He takes the yards left and steps out.

So, I don't think your analogy is correct. The big guy doesn't get to hit back because he eliminates the opportunity. Will that transfer to the NFL? God, I hope so.
So, you're saying he's a wuss?

:stirthepot:

OP
OP
RamzFanz

RamzFanz

Reaction score
Marvin49":2rek2ox7 said:
AvengerRam":2rek2ox7 said:
Marvin49":2rek2ox7 said:

...and you are using the combine weight of a player who's been in the league now for several years. I highly doubt Harvin is still 184 lbs. Players usually put on weight in NFL training rooms.

Austin is exceptionally small for an NFL slot receiver. He's also a very smart and explosively talented player who knows he's small, hence his amazing record of staying healthy. It's a concern but even if he fails to continue to stay healthy, he's not the end all be all of the Rams O.