Who was most improved/who took a step back?

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Biggest improvement for me was Wilson and Baldwin. I never thought those two could make music like that together.

Biggest step back was Jordan Hill. I thought he was in for a big year after how well he played in 2014, but he was invisible most of the season. Very disappointing. The cupboard appears to be very bare right now at DT.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Wilson.

Not sure that Baldwin improved as much as opportunities become more readily available. We've always known he'd be borderline pro bowl in the right offense.

Shead went from quality special teamer to valuable versatile DB.

Marsh went from injured as a rook to a really nice special and a decent if not ascending rotational dlineman.

Thought Tukuafu kind of separated himself at the FB position.

Bennett emerged as the most disruptive dlineman not named Watt or Donald.

firebee

Reaction score
Improved:
Bruce Irvin - Rounded out as a nice every down linebacker this year and is no longer a situational pass rusher.

Gary Gilliam - Seemingly the only offensive lineman that improved this year.

Cassius Marsh - I'm not really sure if he improved or if he just made more of an impact because he stayed healthy, but he definitely made a lot of nice plays, considering the limited time he was on the field.

Deshawn Shead - Kind of the same situation as Marsh.. Not sure if he actually improved or just got more opportunities this year.

Jeremy Lane - Legitimate starter that compliments Sherman well. Not sure if he improved or we just didn't realize how good he was until we had Cary Williams to compare him to.

Luke Willson - I must say... He's really starting to look like a legitimate starter at TE when he's healthy. Seems like his blocking improved a lot and his hands improved a lot this year.

Doug Baldwin - Yes... He actually got better this year. It wasn't a matter of him getting more opportunities or being more of a focus for the offense. He had a better feel for the coverages, a better understanding of where he needed to be to get open and his hands were golden this year. His mental understanding of the game went to a whole other level this year.

Step Back:
Richard Sherman - Still played excellent, but he wasn't the same shutdown guy he was last year. A few mental lapses and he seems to have lost a step when it comes to closing on the ball.

Kam Chancellor - A lot of mental errors. The hold out definitely had an effect on his game and how he handled switches and assignment responsibility in coverage. Miscommunications were a problem.

Russell Okung - huge regression this year. Physically not the same, slower off the snaps, didn't play disciplined, false starts, holding. He was a hot mess this year compared to past years.

Marshawn Lynch - Clearly regressed this year... no explanation needed.

Russell Wilson - That's right... I said it. He's improved some areas of his game, but I don't think he's managed the game as well as he has in the past and I think his pocket presence has regressed from last year. He just doesn't seem to have a feel for the pocket like he did last year and the year before. He's also not seeing the field as well and trying to force the issue downfield too much, instead of taking the first quick and easy open option he gets. He's held onto the ball too long and tried to force a play, instead of throwing the ball out of bounds. IMO, he's actually regressed from the QB he was last year. Our O-Line didn't help his cause, but a lot of bad plays have been the result of him trying to force the issue and do too much when he should've just taken what was given to him or threw the ball away.

The rest of the players were stagnant... They didn't really improve, but they didn't take a step back either. They just continued to do what they do and be what they are.

seahawks08

Reaction score
I disagree on Russell. I think he did much better than last year. For a QB dependent league he is one of the best of not the best. I am not saying this being a homer. I really feel he has improved most in being a pocket passer than a scrambler. He just needs to now adjust for bad weather and other conditions not suitable for playing. I look forward to Seahawks games purely for securing the most critical position for years.

Mojambo

Reaction score
firebee":aut0az5j said:
Russell Wilson - That's right... I said it. He's improved some areas of his game, but I don't think he's managed the game as well as he has in the past and I think his pocket presence has regressed from last year. He just doesn't seem to have a feel for the pocket like he did last year and the year before. He's also not seeing the field as well and trying to force the issue downfield too much, instead of taking the first quick and easy open option he gets. He's held onto the ball too long and tried to force a play, instead of throwing the ball out of bounds. IMO, he's actually regressed from the QB he was last year. Our O-Line didn't help his cause, but a lot of bad plays have been the result of him trying to force the issue and do too much when he should've just taken what was given to him or threw the ball away.

One of the more ridiculous arguments I've seen in a long time. Particularly regarding not seeing the field well. He was massively improved in that over last year. Just ask Doug Baldwin.

mrt144

Reaction score
Maybe RW made bad plays worse, like on 5 of them in the entire season.

Rob12

Reaction score
firebee":37xc90fb said:

Come on, man.

You list Gilliam as improving, but PFF rated him one of the worst tackles in the league. Like literally, I think out of 72 qualifying tackles, he was like No. 67 on their list. He's not a bad player, but he should be depth at this point.

To list Russell as regressing is truly mind numbing. His numbers from the pocket this season were absolutely deadly - and this is with an offensive line that EVERYONE knows we need to upgrade, meaning that three to four positions need to be cycled out. What he did this year was amazing.

I don't get it. What more can he do from the few pockets that he gets a game to convince you? So many said that Lynch was his saving grace, and Lynch turned out to be a ghost this season, and RW had his best statistical season ever. If not for Cam Newton, he'd be the front runner for the MVP award. I just don't get it.

I don't get it, man. Use some statistical analysis to back your claims up so I can actually begin to see where you're coming from... Please.

Rob12

Reaction score
I mean, I know the Pro Bowl is garbage, and means absolutely nothing, but did folks simply watch the protection he got in that game and the passes that he hit on? It was beautiful. With a good pass protecting line and a weapon or two more, he is going to set the league on fire with his arm. I don't see how this is really all that disputable at this point.

Career:

101.8 rating, 13,974 yards, 65% completion percentage, 106 TD, 34 INT, 411 carries, 2,430 yards, 6 YPC, 12 TD...

Do Seahawks fans honestly realize what we have with this young QB? When you look at the talent that he has been surrounded with on the offensive side of the ball, do folks really not see what we have here with No. 3? Dude is an absolute nightmare for opposing defenses, and is just entering his prime, and has a coaching staff that is finally realizing that this franchise largely rests on his shoulders...

On the Jason Smith Show tonight on Fox Sports, Cameron Jordan called him a "nightmare." I think that about seals it, no? He's a guy that is going to cause headaches to DC's in this league for a very long time, and after he just puts up the best statistical season in team history after losing the most instrumental offensive Hawk ever (Lynch), he somehow ends up on someone's 'regressed' list?

It's like that segment... I'm drawing it out... Come on, man...

Latest posts