Who is the face of the franchise right now?

Who is the face of the franchise?

• Marshawn Lynch

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Russell Wilson

Votes: 209 94.1%

• Total voters

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
JSeahawks":249fdcju said:
kearly":249fdcju said:
I totally agree with you J on almost everything you've said in here, especially the part about never ever nominating the 12thman and how the answer is obviously RW.

That said, I honestly think mystique of the12thman in one of the NFL's coolest stadiums is the most badass thing about being a Seahawks fan. I think about how amazing that Saints playoff game was, and then think about how much less impressive it might have been in a different venue. The effect/atmosphere created by the 12th man is great for enhancing epic games and epic moments.

Yea, I dont really disagree with you. The 12th man IS great. For whatever reason its just a pet peave of mine that we come across as we're far superior to anybody else when in reality there are other great fan bases as well. Kansas City, Denver, New Orleans, Minnesota, Green Bay.... they're all pretty damn good and passionate and could give us a run for our money. It also bugs me that a lot of memebers a lot of the time seem to give the crowd credit for the seahawks being so good at home, which in my opinion takes the credit away from the team. I definatly dont expect anyone to agree with me on this one, like i said, just a stupid pet peave.

It's pretty obvious to me that the players feed off the energy and atmosphere at the CLink. And that's us. We create that atmosphere. We're notoriously one of the more difficult places to play in the league over the last 12 years. There's a mystique for sure, but there's also a reality that we give it our all and a little extra. I know I do. I'm not saying it wins us games but I certainly does help.

TwilightError

Reaction score
There is only so much that fans can actually do. But whatever there is in the "so much", the 12th man certainly does all of it. Not all fan bases are like that. It really is something to be proud of.

drdiags

Reaction score
I don't think the face of a organization can be a nameless/faceless entity. Usually when people talk about the face of an organization, they expect it to have a voice that can be a spokesman for the franchise. Though, since I chose Lynch,, you may as well say the 12th man because neither is giving quotes to the media during the season.

I agree that the 12th man is a recognizable moniker (that the A&M aggies hate being used in reference to Seattle). And I do think some fans try to use it as the best fan title. That is another reason why other fanbases have a big disdain for Seattle fans. Sort of like how NFL Films gave us "America's Team". Seattle has been recognized for the title the original owners gave them to honor their support during the Kingdome-era which had forced the NFL to pass rules to control crowd noise.

The idea is great but individual fans are no better than the next guy. It is collective mystique that helps the fans put it on the line, which feeds upon itself. Helps to create an insane playing environment for a game based on playing with a fever pitch emotion.

CHawk

Reaction score
Didn't UW fans start the stadium "wave" as well? I remember watching the hawks and they would always show the wave. Living in the east you do hear it all the time about the 12 man when seahawks are on. I'm looking forward to coming to my first home game this year. Can't wait to crank up the noise.

warden

Reaction score
Pete Carroll is the face of this franchise.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Steve2222":2xcsqfck said:
cockeyhawk":2xcsqfck said:
The face of the franchise is Russel Wilson. The most important player to the seahawks could be a discussion between lynch/thomas/wilson/sherman.Why would lynch show up to workouts in spring? He only has so many carries left, he needs to be resting his body.

You dont abuse your body in offseason workouts like they're doing. They're unpadded. You don't lose miles on your legs by simply running and lifting weights.

Lynch doing his squats is probably the most important thing he can do at this point. I don't know if his back spasms keep him from deadlifting heavy but that makes a huge difference for him as well. That strength will help him avoid injury and continue to take it to guys.

look@dafilm

Reaction score
I can tell you to those from the outside, its mostly Richard Sherman. If not probably Wilson then.

gspin2k1

Reaction score
What is more interesting is that Marshawn was "the face" of the Seahawks (gigantic photo of Lynch with the Schedule on Century Link meanwhile Sherman and RW were still establishing themselves early on), he was in all the Nike Ads for Seahawks gear, on the poster sent out to season ticket holders. And this year he's like on NONE of the promo stuff. Not my welcome 12th man poster, not even one of the three players on the schedule billboard on Century Link, not on the front page of Nike.com for Seahawks merchandise. I also wish he did just a FEW interviews once in a while, I was amazed he even came to the Trufant Bowling Event.

Baldwin tweeted something today that in this business he was told not to fall in love with the organization or city because you never know when you have to move (make sense), but that he broke both (which was pretty cool). Sadly with Marshawn despite how much we love him, and how utterly awesome his playing is. You just don't get that feeling like he cares much for the city or organization. Which is just a bummer given how outspoken Kam, RW, Sherman and Baldwin are.

RussellMania

Reaction score
I'd still say Lynch is the best player but Russell is the guy you see on E!SPN and NFL network. It's partly Lynch's fault as he hates doing media.

ARhawk

Reaction score
Its definitely Rusell Wilson. Not taking anything from Lynch, but i think that if you went around asking a bunch of people to name the first Seahawks player they can think of, the majority of them would say Russell Wilson, which would make him the face of the franchise

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
But if you're asking people to tell you a player, you're only going going to be told players for answers. I think this thread is presenting a similarly loaded question because while it might say the face of the franchise, most of us are interpreting that as our cue to ask ourselves who the face of the players in the franchise is. Thus, most answers are players.

There were some comments about how boasting about the 12th man is arrogant and displayed a sense of superiority. This is pretty subjective since there is a fine line between pride and arrogance. To see how illogical it is just think about the phrase, "I don't want us to win a Super Bowl because it would make us act superior." If someone really did say this, we'd think they're wrong, but it's the same logic as saying the fans shouldn't be proud of the 12th man because some of us would cross that fine line between pride and arrogance.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":19qedb9o said:
There were some comments about how boasting about the 12th man is arrogant and displayed a sense of superiority. This is pretty subjective since there is a fine line between pride and arrogance. To see how illogical it is just think about the phrase, "I don't want us to win a Super Bowl because it would make us act superior." If someone really did say this, we'd think they're wrong, but it's the same logic as saying the fans shouldn't be proud of the 12th man because some of us would cross that fine line between pride and arrogance.

My arguments against the 12th man had nothing to do with boasting, arrogance or superiority. I'm a Duck fan, we're as arrogant and boastful as it gets, but we boast about how good our football team is, not how loud we can yell. I just think its stupid. Never once watched a football game because of the fans. And imo, if the fans are the face of the franchise that means it must be a pretty crappy, irrelevant franchise.

dbmack

Reaction score
Conversation at my house tonight:

Me: Who is the face of the franchise for the Seahawks?
Husband: Probably Wilson
Me: Who is the face of the franchise for the 49ers?
Husband: Probably their QB too.
Me: What is his name?
Husband: Papaki or something like that.

(Husband is actually a fan of both teams. He is from San Jose but has lived in WA for the past 17 years.)

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
dbmack":12mrk1ey said:
Conversation at my house tonight:

Me: Who is the face of the franchise for the Seahawks?
Husband: Probably Wilson
Me: Who is the face of the franchise for the 49ers?
Husband: Probably their QB too.
Me: What is his name?
Husband: Papaki or something like that.

(Husband is actually a fan of both teams. He is from San Jose but has lived in WA for the past 17 years.)

Classic! Papaki. I like it. I hope it sticks.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
The thing about Papaki is that if you can't remember his name then can he really be the face of the franchise?

Everybody knows the name Russell Wilson. Everybody.

dbmack

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":2ptctttt said:
The thing about Papaki is that if you can't remember his name then can he really be the face of the franchise?

Everybody knows the name Russell Wilson. Everybody.
I know! I thought it was strange he didn't remember his name being a fan and all. In fairness to my husband though, it probably didn't help that I called him Pumpernickel all season. I think he thought his name must start with a P or something. :) I did tell him the right name and he said "yeah, that's who I meant."

Mick063

Reaction score
Just click on any major site and what do you typically see?

Nuff said.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2j45zion said:
My arguments against the 12th man had nothing to do with boasting, arrogance or superiority. I'm a Duck fan, we're as arrogant and boastful as it gets, but we boast about how good our football team is, not how loud we can yell. I just think its stupid. Never once watched a football game because of the fans. And imo, if the fans are the face of the franchise that means it must be a pretty crappy, irrelevant franchise.

And this is the irony of football and fans in general. Fans will boast about what we can't control instead of what we can. Beast Quake wouldn't be Beast Quake if not for the fans creating an earthquake. It'd just be a really good run and while you may not watch for that sort of thing, it doesn't mean the what that fans did isn't something special. It also doesn't mean a good, maybe great QB only one year into his career is a better representation of the same franchise.