Which would you rather have?

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Since so much is being said about elite/top QBs and elite/top Defenses...

Myself; Give me a top Defense.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
10-15 years ago, I'd have agreed with you. But because the rules are what they are now and likely will continue in that direction, I'll go with the QB

Is "both" an available answer? :D

hawkfan68

Reaction score
QB....while having an outstanding defense is nice, great QB can overcome not having one. Plenty of SBs have been won by great QBs without the benefit of a great defense. Saints, Rams, Broncos, Colts, Packers, etc

Anthony!

Reaction score
88% of all SB were won with a Top QB. only 12% have been won without a TOP WB but with a top Defense. So QB.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":3uwou4ub said:
88% of all SB were won with a Top QB. only 12% have been won without a TOP WB but with a top Defense. So QB.

100% of all Seahawk Super Bowl titles have come with a #1 ranked Defense

Not Sayin', Just Sayin'

hawkfan68

Reaction score
kidhawk":128w8q2f said:
Anthony!":128w8q2f said:

100% of all Seahawk Super Bowl titles have come with a #1 ranked Defense

Not Sayin', Just Sayin'

True. They had the perfect QB to run their offense at the time too. He may not have been the best at his position but very good nonetheless.

kidhawk

Reaction score
For a more serious answer, it's always an elite defense over an elite qb for me and the reason is quite simple.

If you lose an elite qb to an injury you slide out of contention (just ask the Packers)

if you lose players from an elite defense you can still be among the top in the league. (look at our 2014 injury riddled, 4th ranked defense).

hawkfan68

Reaction score
pmedic920":2r57fh6t said:
Defense wins championships.

Nuff said

if that's the case then why didn't 2006 Bears or the 2000 Titans win the SB? The Colts won in 2006 and Rams did in 2000 but Chicago and Tennessee had better defenses respectively. How about 2011 Packers beating the Steelers? Saints beating the Colts in 2007? Sure, top defenses do win championships but so do teams that have HOF QBs.

HawkWow

Reaction score
LymonHawk":1igx12t7 said:
Since so much is being said about elite/top QBs and elite/top Defenses...

Myself; Give me a top Defense.

Seconded.

'sinceday1 speaks of wisdom, but our offense would have needed just 3 field goals to have won us the championship. That and I live for forced TOs, sacks and 3 and outs.

Love your avatar.

OP
OP
LymonHawk

LymonHawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":bfxi4yxv said:
QB....while having an outstanding defense is nice, great QB can overcome not having one. Plenty of SBs have been won by great QBs without the benefit of a great defense. Saints, Rams, Broncos, 49ers, Cowboys, Colts, Packers, etc

You believe the 49ers didn't have an elite defense? Cowboys? Check your history, friend.

As was said before; It only takes one hit to put your QB on IR.

Rocket

Reaction score
I'd prefer a fast, smart D, a Running 0 with a Beast of a running back and an extremely smart and fast QB.
I'd prefer that.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
LymonHawk":28kbzdxc said:
hawkfan68":28kbzdxc said:
QB....while having an outstanding defense is nice, great QB can overcome not having one. Plenty of SBs have been won by great QBs without the benefit of a great defense. Saints, Rams, Broncos, 49ers, Cowboys, Colts, Packers, etc

You believe the 49ers didn't have an elite defense? Cowboys? Check your history, friend.

Ya...49ers and Cowboys did have the best of both worlds, elite QB and elite defense. They were bad examples. I removed them from the post. Thanks for the heads up.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
LymonHawk":2bspcfgi said:
hawkfan68":2bspcfgi said:

It only took one hit to destroy the Seahawk defense in SBXL. When Seahawks lost Marquand Manuel. Any chance of winning that game went away.

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":284ow748 said:
LymonHawk":284ow748 said:
hawkfan68":284ow748 said:

It only took one hit to destroy the Seahawk defense in SBXL. When Seahawks lost Marquand Manuel. Any chance of winning that game went away.

They were FAR from being an elite defense, and to be clear I mean FARRRRRRRRR

sutz

Reaction score
Rocket":a0hx1r9h said:
I'd prefer a fast, smart D, a Running 0 with a Beast of a running back and an extremely smart and fast QB.
I'd prefer that.
I see what you did there.

;)

hawkfan68

Reaction score
kidhawk":8k6ygi6z said:
hawkfan68":8k6ygi6z said:
LymonHawk":8k6ygi6z said:
hawkfan68":8k6ygi6z said:

They were FAR from being an elite defense, and to be clear I mean FARRRRRRRRR

They may not have been a top defense where yards per game were concerned but teams had a difficult time scoring on them. They were top 10 in scoring defense at 16.9 pts per game -
http://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?lg=NFL&yr=2005&cat=T&group=D&conf=&sort=ptsgm

They may not have been elite but they were still pretty good. Good enough to have won that game if not for some injuries during the game.

Largent80

Reaction score
Always defense. Defense is strength, and football is about strength.

Not some bubbleheaded QB.

OP
OP
LymonHawk

LymonHawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":10lr9vt8 said:
LymonHawk":10lr9vt8 said:
hawkfan68":10lr9vt8 said:

So the fact we only scored 10 points had no affect on the outcome? How about the refs? :stirthepot: