Which receivers make the roster?

D

DomeHawk

chris98251":3foz4wx5 said:
DomeHawk":3foz4wx5 said:
chris98251":3foz4wx5 said:
DomeHawk":3foz4wx5 said:
Most of my complaints? I was referencing his draft profile, reading comprehension is important. Again, saying that he had trouble getting of he line is not "ragging" on him. It was in reference to another poster saying they were laying off him and i mentioned that they also jammed him. It happened early in the game, they were testing him, then they just laid off knowing we would try him on some deep balls. It's just saying he's got stuff to learn.

You are tying to turn it into something it never was, you're a troll, we get that a lot around here.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/5/30/ ... -team-2019

In fairness you can toss the draft profile now, he has had OTA's and camp time as well as off season time to work on stuff that I am sure the staff asked him to work on. Is he going to be Largent, Baldwin, Rice or Julio Jones who by the way could not get separated from Sherman. Probably not, at least not yet. Randy Moss had a problem also but that damn thing called speed and size overcame that. T.O. learned to use his physical strength and then some moves to get open. It can be done.

Your player comparisons are completely out of context.

And, not EVERYONE says he has all the tools, 31 teams passed on him TWICE. Were they wrong? sure hope so.

I have no doubt that he has been working on it BUT you aren't going to learn all that stuff in one off-season. It's a process and he's only 21 years-old, to anoint him the next great NFL receiver is not only unrealistic but also unfair to him. Right now if you line him up with Lockett on the other side for deep balls you pose a real problem for the defense, especially if they are playing single deep safety. That's probably his biggest threat until he develops a route tree.

You missed the point completely Moss and T.O. as well as Jones had holes in their game coming into the league they fixed or the coaching staff adapted to their strengths. Largen and Rice I will give you, they had a savvy understanding right away that just got better with their work, Baldwin worked tirelessly to get better talking to the greats and gaining understanding and knowledge from the time he came into the league as a UDFA.

Everyone says that DK has all the tools to get there, same can be said for Jazz as well.

Didn't miss anything. you are comparing him to the greats. Until he actually does something that is completely out of context.

And, not EVERYONE says he has all the tools, 31 teams passed on him TWICE. Were they wrong? sure hope so.

And, nowhere did I say he couldn't learn and improve BUT for every great receiver you mention there are scores who didn't develop. Look at John Ross, fastest NFL receiver in history, same hype was assigned to him. Will DK develop? I sure hope so, he's on my team after all but it's a question mark at this point.

seabowl

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":2nhz7u68 said:
Jeron Brown is awful, seems like an easy cut to me.

Agree. Little upside to him. Rather give one of the young guys a shot.

John63

Reaction score
seabowl":22dudrjl said:
Chukarhawk":22dudrjl said:

Agreed, Not sure what he is bringing to the table.

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":1756nehz said:
DomeHawk":1756nehz said:
John63":1756nehz said:
JPatera76":1756nehz said:
Seems someone’s just salty that NE has a receiver that they wanted the Hawks to get. And instead of just getting over it they’d rather cut down DK.... and Praise NE and bellicheat.

Not sure it's an NE thing ot he just decided that he wants to rag on DK. I was at the game, rewatched it several time and most of his "complaints" on DK neither I or any of my friends agree either saw any proof of.

Most of my complaints? I was referencing his draft profile, reading comprehension is important. Again, saying that he had trouble getting of he line is not "ragging" on him. It was in reference to another poster saying they were laying off him and i mentioned that they also jammed him. It happened early in the game, they were testing him, then they just laid off knowing we would try him on some deep balls. It's just saying he's got stuff to learn.

You are tying to turn it into something it never was, you're a troll, we get that a lot around here.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/5/30/ ... -team-2019

In fairness you can toss the draft profile now, he has had OTA's and camp time as well as off season time to work on stuff that I am sure the staff asked him to work on. Is he going to be Largent, Baldwin, Rice or Julio Jones who by the way could not get separated from Sherman. Probably not, at least not yet. Randy Moss had a problem also but that damn thing called speed and size overcame that. T.O. learned to use his physical strength and then some moves to get open. It can be done.

Jerry Rice’s rookie season wasn’t perfect, lots of dropped passes. After watching the first game, DK didn’t seem to be intuitive in catching or making adjustments, could be the timing was off with Geno or DK was nervous etc. those balls were difficult but catchable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John63

Reaction score
toffee":36b5kj80 said:

Jerry Rice’s rookie season wasn’t perfect, lots of dropped passes. After watching the first game, DK didn’t seem to be intuitive in catching or making adjustments, could be the timing was off with Geno or DK was nervous etc. those balls were difficult but catchable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

So first some of what you say I agree with, some I do not. I do not agree with the those balls being catchable.

That aside lets for argument sake say the were, the question is, is it a catch you would expect a rookie in his first real game to catch? Let me help you neither Baldwin or Lockett would have in their first game. In fact I would bet there are less than 10 Wr in the last 10 years who as rookies would have made those catches and kept in bounds. IN fact I bet more would not even have made it close. Now I have been watching, playing, reffing, or coaching football for over 50 years. So I say that with a pretty good background. That said agree to disagree.

Also, to be clear I am not saying DK is the 2nd coming. No reasonable person would say that after 1 pre season game. On the other hand no reasonable person would say some of what a certain someone has been saying either. No I am not talking about you. After the game Huard and several others took note of these 2 plays and agreed both were thrown just a little to far and in one case to close the side line. This echoes what I saw at the game and in the numerous re looks via the recording I made. That said I do believe there were some nerves and will be interested in how he looks this next game. I also believe Smith did him and others little favor with some of....his throws. I never saw him have any issue getting off the line at all, except when he was getting a screen or blocking which makes sense.

Was I impressed with him? NO, was I disappointed in him..NO. To me there was not enough info to judge one way or the other, and even i there was it is one game. As you noted it takes time for a Wr to come in and look the part.

All that said we will know more this week end as they face a better defense, and he will have Wilson and or Lynch throwing to him.

chris98251

Reaction score
DomeHawk":m8poimpd said:
chris98251":m8poimpd said:
DomeHawk":m8poimpd said:
chris98251":m8poimpd said:

I have no doubt that he has been working on it BUT you aren't going to learn all that stuff in one off-season. It's a process and he's only 21 years-old, to anoint him the next great NFL receiver is not only unrealistic but also unfair to him. Right now if you line him up with Lockett on the other side for deep balls you pose a real problem for the defense, especially if they are playing single deep safety. That's probably his biggest threat until he develops a route tree.

You missed the point completely Moss and T.O. as well as Jones had holes in their game coming into the league they fixed or the coaching staff adapted to their strengths. Largen and Rice I will give you, they had a savvy understanding right away that just got better with their work, Baldwin worked tirelessly to get better talking to the greats and gaining understanding and knowledge from the time he came into the league as a UDFA.

Everyone says that DK has all the tools to get there, same can be said for Jazz as well.

Didn't miss anything. you are comparing him to the greats. Until he actually does something that is completely out of context.

And, nowhere did I say he couldn't learn and improve BUT for every great receiver you mention there are scores who didn't develop. Look at John Ross, fastest NFL receiver in history, same hype was assigned to him. Will DK develop? I sure hope so, he's on my team after all but it's a question mark at this point.

Just seems like you hope he doesn't deveop and you person in New England does so you can I was right.

From all reports he is a hard worker and wants to learn, the GREATS had holes and wanted to get better and worked hard to do so, maybe he doesn't reach those levels, or like Moss has OC scheme to use him what he does best, Hard to remember Moss going on a crossing pattern at all in the mid level of a defense.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
John63":2vpiuyou said:
seabowl":2vpiuyou said:
Chukarhawk":2vpiuyou said:

Agreed, Not sure what he is bringing to the table.
Agree..Lot more expensive is what he brings.

Jville

Reaction score
We are only 1/4 of the way thru pre-season. There is still so much to be revealed about this year's competition.

massari

Reaction score
Hopefully the rookies light it up enough to bounce Brown.

Lockett
DK
Moore
Jennings
Wright
Ursua/Jazz/Turner

D

DomeHawk

chris98251":3jkqb37f said:
DomeHawk":3jkqb37f said:
chris98251":3jkqb37f said:
DomeHawk":3jkqb37f said:

Just seems like you hope he doesn't deveop and you person in New England does so you can I was right.

From all reports he is a hard worker and wants to learn, the GREATS had holes and wanted to get better and worked hard to do so, maybe he doesn't reach those levels, or like Moss has OC scheme to use him what he does best, Hard to remember Moss going on a crossing pattern at all in the mid level of a defense.

Another ridiculous post Chris, you're the king of them. I have been going to Seahawks' games from the start when my dad and grandfather took me as a child. You really think that I want our first choice in the draft to be bad? Yes, I would rather have had N'Keal but that's a done deal so it doesn't matter.

If there is one person on these boards that constantly tries to prove he is right it is you. For gawd's sake you spend most of your life here.

D

DomeHawk

John63":oedenun8 said:
toffee":oedenun8 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So first some of what you say I agree with, some I do not. I do not agree with the those balls being catchable.

That aside lets for argument sake say the were, the question is, is it a catch you would expect a rookie in his first real game to catch? Let me help you neither Baldwin or Lockett would have in their first game. In fact I would bet there are less than 10 Wr in the last 10 years who as rookies would have made those catches and kept in bounds. IN fact I bet more would not even have made it close. Now I have been watching, playing, reffing, or coaching football for over 50 years. So I say that with a pretty good background. That said agree to disagree.

Also, to be clear I am not saying DK is the 2nd coming. No reasonable person would say that after 1 pre season game. On the other hand no reasonable person would say some of what a certain someone has been saying either. No I am not talking about you. After the game Huard and several others took note of these 2 plays and agreed both were thrown just a little to far and in one case to close the side line. This echoes what I saw at the game and in the numerous re looks via the recording I made. That said I do believe there were some nerves and will be interested in how he looks this next game. I also believe Smith did him and others little favor with some of....his throws. I never saw him have any issue getting off the line at all, except when he was getting a screen or blocking which makes sense.

Was I impressed with him? NO, was I disappointed in him..NO. To me there was not enough info to judge one way or the other, and even i there was it is one game. As you noted it takes time for a Wr to come in and look the part.

All that said we will know more this week end as they face a better defense, and he will have Wilson and or Lynch throwing to him.[/quote]

Fair enough, but remember, I never said he was bad but that he has some flaws that I referenced from his draft profile. The long balls don't really concern me as much as his route tree issues. He will have to correct that or just be a one-trick pony. As I have said all along, I am rooting for him, he's a good kid.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I don't think either JB or Moore are on the hot seat yet. Experience matters a ton at receiver and every fan base at this time of year has 3-4 promising young receivers they are worried about sending to the practice squad. We're familiar with our guys but if you look at other teams the exact same debates are going on everywhere.

John63

Reaction score
AgentDib":239c79s1 said:
I don't think either JB or Moore are on the hot seat yet. Experience matters a ton at receiver and every fan base at this time of year has 3-4 promising young receivers they are worried about sending to the practice squad. We're familiar with our guys but if you look at other teams the exact same debates are going on everywhere.

OKay for JB I might agree, but Moore 1 year 26 rec does not seem, like much of an experience advantage at all.

For that matter Brown has a total of 100 receptions over 6 seasons again not much.

I can see both on the hot seat although Moore more than Brown. Now hotseat does not mean gone only they got some things to prove.

chris98251

Reaction score
DomeHawk":3v7frsxd said:
chris98251":3v7frsxd said:
DomeHawk":3v7frsxd said:
chris98251":3v7frsxd said:

Another ridiculous post Chris, you're the king of them. I have been going to Seahawks' games from the start when my dad and grandfather took me as a child. You really think that I want our first choice in the draft to be bad? Yes, I would rather have had N'Keal but that's a done deal so it doesn't matter.

If there is one person on these boards that constantly tries to prove he is right it is you. For gawd's sake you spend most of your life here.

So do you feel better now, you kicked the shit out of a post and stand over the bleeding body claiming victory and spouting you are King and your shit don't stink once again, your habit of attacking posters and that just not me but many is ridiculous. You must have been the guy that got given wedgies, thrown in the towel cart and pushed into the showers your whole life, do you own a pocket protector also with a assortment of colored pens?

John63

Reaction score
chris98251":1kbswtbt said:
So do you feel better now, you kicked the shit out of a post and stand over the bleeding body claiming victory and spouting you are King and your shit don't stink once again, your habit of attacking posters and that just not me but many is ridiculous. You must have been the guy that got given wedgies, thrown in the towel cart and pushed into the showers your whole life, do you own a pocket protector also with a assortment of colored pens?

This is why I foed him and moved on. Not worth the effort. He does not want a dialogue just a forum to bully people.

AgentDib

Reaction score
John63":1o4dnokg said:
AgentDib":1o4dnokg said:

OKay for JB I might agree, but Moore 1 year 26 rec does not seem, like much of an experience advantage at all.
Just to clarify my position, I don't think game reps are that much of a determining factor compared to raw time spent in an NFL environment. There is an enormous leap in NFL caliber weight training, diet and sleep coaching, knowledge transfer, and so on. A player like Ursua may have a lot of potential but at this point only a month or two of that stuff. David Moore on the other hand in his third season has had 120+ weeks of that and I think many are overlooking how significant that advantage is.

That's not to say that either JB or Moore are guaranteed a slot, only that in my view they are heavy favorites. Seeing so many posters omit them lines up with what happens every single year where posters get fixated on unknown young receivers only to get frustrated when they don't make the team over receivers with more experience.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I haven't read through this entire thread, but you guys are leaving out an important factor when deciding which receivers to keep on the roster..........the practice squad.

Sure it's about who Pete and Schotty think will help them win games now, but if you're deciding who makes the active roster as the 5th and/or 6th WR? It's more about who they HAVE to put on the active roster and who they think will make it through waivers to add to the practice squad.

So if the four for sures are;

Lockett
Brown
Metcalf
Moore

Then that leaves 2-3 spots, one for the final roster spot and two for the practice squad. If I had to guess no way Jennings makes it through waivers, he'll get claimed. So he's gotta be your 5th WR if you're keeping five on the roster. Guys like Ferguson, Ursua, Wright and Turner would probably go unclaimed.

Obviously three games to go, but if we're keeping 4-5, gotta be Lockett, Brown, Metcalf, Moore and Jennings. Then take your pick for who gets cut and resigned on the practice squad. I'd go with Ursua and Ferguson. Biggest upside.

sutz

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":16p29n9r said:
I haven't read through this entire thread, but you guys are leaving out an important factor when deciding which receivers to keep on the roster..........the practice squad.

Sure it's about who Pete and Schotty think will help them win games now, but if you're deciding who makes the active roster as the 5th and/or 6th WR? It's more about who they HAVE to put on the active roster and who they think will make it through waivers to add to the practice squad.

Lockett
Brown
Metcalf
Moore

Then that leaves 2-3 spots, one for the final roster spot and two for the practice squad. If I had to guess no way Jennings makes it through waivers, he'll get claimed. So he's gotta be your 5th WR if you're keeping five on the roster. Guys like Ferguson, Ursua, Wright and Turner would probably go unclaimed.

Obviously three games to go, but if we're keeping 4-5, gotta be Lockett, Brown, Metcalf, Moore and Jennings. Then take your pick for who gets cut and resigned on the practice squad. I'd go with Ursua and Ferguson. Biggest upside.
Since they used future draft capital to draft Ursua, that might indicate they don't think he'll clear waivers. ;)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sutz":2q6jw79g said:
Sgt. Largent":2q6jw79g said:

Lockett
Brown
Metcalf
Moore

Since they used future draft capital to draft Ursua, that might indicate they don't think he'll clear waivers. ;)

Who's a bigger risk of losing if you put him on waivers?

Jennings (4th round pick)
Ursua (7th round pick)
Moore (7th round pick, already has experience and made big plays)
Ferguson (entire league passed over on him)

Out of these four guys that are battling for the final 2-3 spots, I'm cutting Ursua and Ferguson and keeping Moore and Jennings.

Maybe I cut Moore if Jennings or Ferguson blow my doors off the final three games? But Pete already knows what Moore can do, and while he's inconsistent as hell, with this young WR corp I bet Pete would be afraid to go with this many young receivers to start the season. So I bet he keeps Moore.