Which receivers make the roster?

John63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3n5636vf said:
sutz":3n5636vf said:
Sgt. Largent":3n5636vf said:
I haven't read through this entire thread, but you guys are leaving out an important factor when deciding which receivers to keep on the roster..........the practice squad.

Sure it's about who Pete and Schotty think will help them win games now, but if you're deciding who makes the active roster as the 5th and/or 6th WR? It's more about who they HAVE to put on the active roster and who they think will make it through waivers to add to the practice squad.

So if the four for sures are;

Lockett
Brown
Metcalf
Moore

Then that leaves 2-3 spots, one for the final roster spot and two for the practice squad. If I had to guess no way Jennings makes it through waivers, he'll get claimed. So he's gotta be your 5th WR if you're keeping five on the roster. Guys like Ferguson, Ursua, Wright and Turner would probably go unclaimed.

Obviously three games to go, but if we're keeping 4-5, gotta be Lockett, Brown, Metcalf, Moore and Jennings. Then take your pick for who gets cut and resigned on the practice squad. I'd go with Ursua and Ferguson. Biggest upside.
Since they used future draft capital to draft Ursua, that might indicate they don't think he'll clear waivers. ;)

Who's a bigger risk of losing if you put him on waivers?

Jennings (4th round pick)
Ursua (7th round pick)
Moore (7th round pick, already has experience and made big plays)
Ferguson (entire league passed over on him)

Out of these four guys that are battling for the final 2-3 spots, I'm cutting Ursua and Ferguson and keeping Moore and Jennings.

Maybe I cut Moore if Jennings or Ferguson blow my doors off the final three games? But Pete already knows what Moore can do, and while he's inconsistent as hell, with this young WR corp I bet Pete would be afraid to go with this many young receivers to start the season. So I bet he keeps Moore.

IF he keeps Moore based solely on Exp that would be a mistake. His experience is so limited it is almost nothing. So he needs to ball out. Based on the one game so far he would be gone. Now there are more game so we will see. I am not convinced Brown is a lock, but he is close. Jennings could be gone as well. Right now I think besides DK and Lockett Ursua and Ferguson have thrown themselves up on the list. I think they will keep 6. So we are looking at as of now

Locks
Lockett 5 yrs
DK RK

Close to lock
Brown 7 yrs only 100 total receptions

In the mix
Ferguson Rk
Ursua Rk
Moore 3 years only 25 receptions

Needs to show something
Turner 2 years 2 rec
Jennings RK
Wright RK
Reynolds 1 year 0 rec
Darboh 3 yrs 8 rec

The reality is no matter how we go with Lockett is are only true proven WR, The others just don't have enough to know much of anything. For me if they keep the locks, close to lock and in the mix I would be happy

chris98251

Reaction score
No way Jazz makes it through waivers if he performs like he performed week one, him and Metcalf had the largest catch radius of the draft, he has everything size ability, and good speed, you don't let those guys go, the only reason he was undrafted was his issues at LSU and then he was at a small school working at the same time as going to school and playing football. He turned stuff around.

Had he stayed at LSU he would have been a round 3 or above pick.

In fact at this point over all he is a better receiver then DK , he can use his body to screens and run better routes, his hands are great. At least for game one.

kf3339

Reaction score
It's much too soon to decide on who makes the final 53 roster. I do believe we will keep 6 receivers and a minimum of 3 will be rookies. I also think there is a decent chance that Moore gets cut and they go with the 4 main rookies (DK, Jennings, Jazz, Ursua) and just keep Lockett and Brown as the vets.

We paid a lot of money to keep RW and they need to save somewhere else on the roster. Four rookie wr's is one area and they can grow with RW leading them. I seriously doubt were making a major playoff push this season and would rather we build a strong passing attack for future seasons. With our running attack we could be right back in the Super Bowl mix in a year or two, but I just don't see it this year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
John63":3q3us3vl said:
The reality is no matter how we go with Lockett is are only true proven WR, The others just don't have enough to know much of anything. For me if they keep the locks, close to lock and in the mix I would be happy

That's why I think unless one of the other young WR's like Jennings, Ursua or Ferguson REALLY blow the doors off the through the rest of camp and pre-season games, we keep Moore.

He's the only other WR besides Lockett and Brown that has NFL game experience, and did show some flashes last year.

Any other year with some other dependable vets in the mix, his job's in serious jeopardy, but I just can't see Pete trusting this young of WR corp going into game #1 without Moore.

Now if by week 5-6 the young guys produce and prove they can do it in games that count? I could see Moore being released.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
kf3339":fmh7dcqh said:
It's much too soon to decide on who makes the final 53 roster. I do believe we will keep 6 receivers and a minimum of 3 will be rookies. I also think there is a decent chance that Moore gets cut and they go with the 4 main rookies (DK, Jennings, Jazz, Ursua) and just keep Lockett and Brown as the vets.

We paid a lot of money to keep RW and they need to save somewhere else on the roster. Four rookie wr's is one area and they can grow with RW leading them. I seriously doubt were making a major playoff push this season and would rather we build a strong passing attack for future seasons. With our running attack we could be right back in the Super Bowl mix in a year or two, but I just don't see it this year.

Very good point! Glad you brought this up

D

DomeHawk

chris98251":z6rgu4jd said:
DomeHawk":z6rgu4jd said:
chris98251":z6rgu4jd said:
DomeHawk":z6rgu4jd said:
Didn't miss anything. you are comparing him to the greats. Until he actually does something that is completely out of context.

And, not EVERYONE says he has all the tools, 31 teams passed on him TWICE. Were they wrong? sure hope so.

And, nowhere did I say he couldn't learn and improve BUT for every great receiver you mention there are scores who didn't develop. Look at John Ross, fastest NFL receiver in history, same hype was assigned to him. Will DK develop? I sure hope so, he's on my team after all but it's a question mark at this point.

Just seems like you hope he doesn't deveop and you person in New England does so you can I was right.

From all reports he is a hard worker and wants to learn, the GREATS had holes and wanted to get better and worked hard to do so, maybe he doesn't reach those levels, or like Moss has OC scheme to use him what he does best, Hard to remember Moss going on a crossing pattern at all in the mid level of a defense.

Another ridiculous post Chris, you're the king of them. I have been going to Seahawks' games from the start when my dad and grandfather took me as a child. You really think that I want our first choice in the draft to be bad? Yes, I would rather have had N'Keal but that's a done deal so it doesn't matter.

If there is one person on these boards that constantly tries to prove he is right it is you. For gawd's sake you spend most of your life here.

So do you feel better now, you kicked the shit out of a post and stand over the bleeding body claiming victory and spouting you are King and your shit don't stink once again, your habit of attacking posters and that just not me but many is ridiculous. You must have been the guy that got given wedgies, thrown in the towel cart and pushed into the showers your whole life, do you own a pocket protector also with a assortment of colored pens?

We get it Chris, you live to attack posters on .NET. You're a loser and this is all you have, you spend the majority of your day here acting out your insecurities.

Get a life.

chris98251

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2yzw8ty3 said:
chris98251":2yzw8ty3 said:
DomeHawk":2yzw8ty3 said:
chris98251":2yzw8ty3 said:
Just seems like you hope he doesn't deveop and you person in New England does so you can I was right.

From all reports he is a hard worker and wants to learn, the GREATS had holes and wanted to get better and worked hard to do so, maybe he doesn't reach those levels, or like Moss has OC scheme to use him what he does best, Hard to remember Moss going on a crossing pattern at all in the mid level of a defense.

Another ridiculous post Chris, you're the king of them. I have been going to Seahawks' games from the start when my dad and grandfather took me as a child. You really think that I want our first choice in the draft to be bad? Yes, I would rather have had N'Keal but that's a done deal so it doesn't matter.

If there is one person on these boards that constantly tries to prove he is right it is you. For gawd's sake you spend most of your life here.

So do you feel better now, you kicked the shit out of a post and stand over the bleeding body claiming victory and spouting you are King and your shit don't stink once again, your habit of attacking posters and that just not me but many is ridiculous. You must have been the guy that got given wedgies, thrown in the towel cart and pushed into the showers your whole life, do you own a pocket protector also with a assortment of colored pens?

We get it Chris, you live to attack posters on .NET. You're a loser and this is all you have, you spend the majority of your day here acting out your insecurities.

Get a life.

Yeah what I thought, you have a ink stain on that pocket protector you might want to clean off, it will ruin your image.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
John63":3dt9eit9 said:
seabowl":3dt9eit9 said:
Chukarhawk":3dt9eit9 said:
Jeron Brown is awful, seems like an easy cut to me.

Agree. Little upside to him. Rather give one of the young guys a shot.

Agreed, Not sure what he is bringing to the table.

Blocking, knowledge of the playbook. Coaches admire consistency and being where you are supposed to be. If you can't run the routes, know where you need to be, etc. you are not making the team.

The guys that make the team will not be the guys that splash in preseason games. It will be the guys that day in and day out do all the little things right.

From what I hear so far that's been guys like Brown, Moore, Metcalf, Lockett and to a lesser degree Turner, Reynolds and Ursua. Ferguson has talent but his prior history suggests he may not have the work ethic and attention to detail. Jennings just recently flashed in practice but needs to show consistency in his game.

90% of making the team is what you do when the cameras aren't on you. 10% comes from putting it on film. Preseason stars are cut every year and fans still fail to get that.

D

DomeHawk

Mad Dog":2jm5jax3 said:
John63":2jm5jax3 said:
seabowl":2jm5jax3 said:
Chukarhawk":2jm5jax3 said:
Jeron Brown is awful, seems like an easy cut to me.

Agree. Little upside to him. Rather give one of the young guys a shot.

Agreed, Not sure what he is bringing to the table.

Blocking, knowledge of the playbook. Coaches admire consistency and being where you are supposed to be. If you can't run the routes, know where you need to be, etc. you are not making the team.

The guys that make the team will not be the guys that splash in preseason games. It will be the guys that day in and day out do all the little things right.

From what I hear so far that's been guys like Brown, Moore, Metcalf, Lockett and to a lesser degree Turner, Reynolds and Ursua. Ferguson has talent but his prior history suggests he may not have the work ethic and attention to detail. Jennings just recently flashed in practice but needs to show consistency in his game.

90% of making the team is what you do when the cameras aren't on you. 10% comes from putting it on film. Preseason stars are cut every year and fans still fail to get that.

Get what you're saying, you want a team that practices well BUT some of the greatest players of all time were gamers not practice players.

Ferguson looked that part Thursday but it's just one game, we shall see.

In either case I think the coaches account for gamers too.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2170v5on said:
Right now leaning towards:

Lockett
Matcalf
Moore
Ursua
Ferguson
Jennings
This is my list also.
If Moore, & Brown were a safe bets, I don't think Pete & Co. go after so many Receivers in the Draft....The next three games are crucial for ALL but Lockett.
Baldwin showed that you can be mistakingly passed over in the draft by ALL 32 teams.

I think that if Jazz Ferguson continues to play as well as he did in game one, I don't think that Pete will chance losing him on waivers.

When all decisions are hammered out, I believe that Wilson & Schotty will have some sway in who we keep on the 53, & who goes to the PS.

AgentDib

Reaction score
It feels weird to even say this as a reminder but Pete Carroll wants to win now. I see a lot of people suggesting roster cuts aimed at the future in every area of the team and a general willingness to take a step back with youth in the short term for long-term gains.

That just isn't how Pete functions and he's going to pick the 53 man roster which gives us the best chance of competing in 2019. We can always send a few of the youngsters to the practice squad and a couple of them are bound to end up on injured reserve after a few definitely not exaggerated injuries.

HawkGA

Reaction score
If you're choosing three from that list, wouldn't you just choose all three that you listed?

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
HawkGA":qguzyohi said:
If you're choosing three from that list, wouldn't you just choose all three that you listed?

Umm no because I believe the first 4 selected should be Lockett, Metcalf, Ferguson, and Ursua

chris98251

Reaction score
They stated Brown wasn't used correctly last season and they want to use him more, they also admired his down filed blocking skills in the run game, many of you ragged on Kearse but he was not let go to the Jets easily, his clutch catches were on thing but it was his blocking that kept him playing and valuable.

HawkGA

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":beobg8pt said:
HawkGA":beobg8pt said:

Umm no because I believe the first 4 selected should be Lockett, Metcalf, Ferguson, and Ursua

Oh okay, that wasn't quite clear in your post.

Not sure Jazz is a lock. My guess would be far from it. I think he really just entered his name in the conversation this week.

chris98251

Reaction score
HawkGA":3ir80mst said:
therealjohncarlson":3ir80mst said:
HawkGA":3ir80mst said:

Oh okay, that wasn't quite clear in your post.

Not sure Jazz is a lock. My guess would be far from it. I think he really just entered his name in the conversation this week.

Him and Metcalf had the biggest Catch radius of receivers in the draft, he had red flags over his dismissal off the LSU team, he went to a small school and paid his way himself working and played football and did his school work.

His self entitlement issues were pretty much put to bed, he has mad skills, just the flags.