Which area of Luman Field gets the loudest?

UTHawksFan

Reaction score
Traveling out to Seattle for the Rams game for my second Hawks game. I'm bringing a few non-hawks fan buddies and want to show them a good time. What's the loudest part of the stadium to sit in in your opinion?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah it's all relatively equal. The most "rowdy" section is arguably the Hawks Nest on the North side behind the north endzone. Cheap seats, willing drinkers and weeee!

Wolfiegrrl

Reaction score
The whole place is loud. I've been to a handful of games and have never been disappointed. I'll be in Section 330 for the Panthers game. Love the views up on the 300 level and people are still loud as all hell.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I will respectfully disagree with those that feel the stadium is universally loud, but color my claim with the fact that my experience in the various sections has been heavily influenced by the specific game situation.

The absolute loudest game I have ever experienced was the September, 2013 game vs the Niners. That was the game, and goal line stand, where we set the record for the loudest outdoor stadium in the world. I was in the Hawk's Nest, and I have permanent tinnitus from that game.

The next loudest was "The Tip" NFCCG vs the Niners. I was in the south end zone, and broke my glasses and dislocated my jaw on that one.

The south end zone was relatively quiet during the next NFCCG vs the Packers, but the game situation, and weather explain this. It was very loud whenever the Pack was on offense on our end of the field, and at the end of the game when Kearse caught the game winner in that end zone.

The first game of the season vs Denver, after we beat them in the Super Bowl was relatively quiet. I was sitting in the 300 level on the Northeast corner.

I have sat in the club seats, 200 level in a loss to the Cards.

300 level vs Giants last year. Pretty peaceful.

I have sat in multiple games in the two end zones, and multiple in other sections. I have to give the south end zone as the most reliably rowdy and loud.

I think it is universally accepted that the stadium has become more quiet and sedate over time. That has been my experience.

Your best bet is a rivalry type game against a team that either has plenty of rowdy local fans (Niners, Steelers), or against a team that doesn't travel well.

The amazing game last year, vs Giants, was significantly affected by the huge Giants fan base in attendance. They were very quiet, IMHO.

sutz

Reaction score
As an old radar technician, I recognized something when the initial design concept of the stadium was released. When I saw the artist renditions it was pretty obvious. The two sections of roof are parabolic reflectors intended to reflect sound down onto the field. That would probably also make sure that there are no "dead zones" in the stadium.

Having said that, I would suspect that two areas might stand out as "loudest." One is, of course, the Hawks Nest where folks are stomping and banging on the aluminum bleachers as built in noise makers to add to their voices. The other would be the South Endzone, which is more enclosed than the north end and there are more seats to hold screaming fans.

My old seats were in Section 330, basically looking east over the South Goal line. Not sure there any "bad" seats in the house. I prefer upper deck, sideline with the more panoramic view of the field to the lower decks where all the sideline action can block some of the view. But that's just me. ;)

Last edited:

morgulon1

Reaction score
Traveling out to Seattle for the Rams game for my second Hawks game. I'm bringing a few non-hawks fan buddies and want to show them a good time. What's the loudest part of the stadium to sit in in your opinion?
I always thought the south end zone got pretty freaking loud .

It was so loud , my young son cried ( he was young BTW) . Hahaha

Torc

Reaction score
I will respectfully disagree with those that feel the stadium is universally loud, but color my claim with the fact that my experience in the various sections has been heavily influenced by the specific game situation.

The absolute loudest game I have ever experienced was the September, 2013 game vs the Niners. That was the game, and goal line stand, where we set the record for the loudest outdoor stadium in the world. I was in the Hawk's Nest, and I have permanent tinnitus from that game.

The next loudest was "The Tip" NFCCG vs the Niners. I was in the south end zone, and broke my glasses and dislocated my jaw on that one.

The south end zone was relatively quiet during the next NFCCG vs the Packers, but the game situation, and weather explain this. It was very loud whenever the Pack was on offense on our end of the field, and at the end of the game when Kearse caught the game winner in that end zone.

The first game of the season vs Denver, after we beat them in the Super Bowl was relatively quiet. I was sitting in the 300 level on the Northeast corner.

I have sat in the club seats, 200 level in a loss to the Cards.

300 level vs Giants last year. Pretty peaceful.

I have sat in multiple games in the two end zones, and multiple in other sections. I have to give the south end zone as the most reliably rowdy and loud.

I think it is universally accepted that the stadium has become more quiet and sedate over time. That has been my experience.

Your best bet is a rivalry type game against a team that either has plenty of rowdy local fans (Niners, Steelers), or against a team that doesn't travel well.

The amazing game last year, vs Giants, was significantly affected by the huge Giants fan base in attendance. They were very quiet, IMHO.
You suffered hearing loss and dislocated your jaw (please tell me it was from screaming, not from a fight with a Whiners fan :p ) at Seahawks games? I salute you, sir. That's true fandom.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
You suffered hearing loss and dislocated your jaw (please tell me it was from screaming, not from a fight with a Whiners fan :p ) at Seahawks games? I salute you, sir. That's true fandom.

It happened on "The Tip" play.

I was mid-way through screaming, "We are going to the Super Bowl," when this giant of a man, Seahawks fan, who was sitting next to me, gave me this enormous bear hug. Broke my glasses and dislocated my jaw.

The niners fans were to stunned to say or do much.