When Are The Major European Soccer Leagues Going To Get A Salary Cap?

NoGain

Reaction score
I'm a novice soccer fan, and primarily follow the Premier League. NBC gives you a great lineup of games each weekend. The money is just getting insane, and there are only a few teams that can keep up with the competitive costs, teams like Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City, and now Newcastle United with Middle East oil money. It's nuts, as bad as division one NCAA football where the rich keep getting richer. As soon as any upcoming/middling team starts getting good and players start turning into stars, they are pillaged by the elite Premier League teams, or the German, French, Italian, or Spanish elite teams.

It's completely crazy.

ronnieboycefanclub

Reaction score
No we will not get one in the UK. The moment anyone suggests it. The days of the £20 a week maximum wage will be brought up. Although this ended in the 1960's.

In some peoples minds, a salary cap is the same thing. More than £20 a week of course.

I have an annual of newspaper cartoons from 1963 where a fan is being chased by an entire team. His wife says. You should not have shouted out I would not pay £20 for the lot of you, let alone each.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NoGain

Reaction score
Baseball doesn't have a salary cap.
Yeah, I believe you're right. But they do have CAP of sorts where if you exceed the number you have to pay a penalty to the league, don't they? I'm not up to snuff on all this stuff.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Yeah, I believe you're right. But they do have CAP of sorts where if you exceed the number you have to pay a penalty to the league, don't they? I'm not up to snuff on all this stuff.
Luxury tax, but it's hardly the same. Clubs like the Yankees, Dodgers, and Mets don't even worry about triggering it.

OP
OP
N

NoGain

Reaction score
Luxury tax, but it's hardly the same. Clubs like the Yankees, Dodgers, and Mets don't even worry about triggering it.
Yeah, MLB is behind the NBA and NFL in trying to establish some kind of a parity system whereby certain cities and fan bases aren't largely condemned to being also-rans with a few exceptions here and there. Division one NCAA football is the worst in that anti-competitive way, though.

PS> At least MLB expanded their playoff system. That's helped alleviate this anti-competitive problem some. It's given more cities and fan-bases reason for hope.

OP
OP
N

NoGain

Reaction score
No we will not get one in the UK. The moment anyone suggests it. The days of the £20 a week maximum wage will be brought up. Although this ended in the 1960's.

In some peoples minds, a salary cap is the same thing. More than £20 a week of course.

I have an annual of newspaper cartoons from 1963 where a fan is being chased by an entire team. His wife says. You should not have shouted out I would not pay £20 for the lot of you, let alone each.
Don't fans of teams in England that are condemned to fight for regulation get peeved or apathetic when they know their team has close to zero chance of even making the Champion's League cut, let alone winning a Premier League title? I guess they've just come to accept their fate. It seems like Leicester City is the lone outlier.

flv2

Reaction score
Don't fans of teams in England that are condemned to fight for regulation get peeved or apathetic when they know their team has close to zero chance of even making the Champion's League cut, let alone winning a Premier League title? I guess they've just come to accept their fate. It seems like Leicester City is the lone outlier.
No, we don't get peeved. Things change, although it tends to be in a much slower time frame. Newcastle have never been a huge club, (other than to their fans). It's only comparatively recently that Newcastle and Chelsea established themselves as perennial Premier League teams. I remember a time when both were in the relegation mix every year. I remember Man City being in the 3rd tier. I remember Leeds and Wolves going bankrupt. I remember when Ipswich were considered to be a big team. In 30 years of the Premier League there have been 50 different teams that have made it into the 20 team top league.

Salary caps only work where there is relatively equal income or revenue sharing. That can't happen with multiple divisions where income is massively different.