What's the catalyst for the Hawks success this century?

What's the catlyst for the Hwks success since the mediocre years back in the 20th century?

• Hiring of Holmgren

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • Move to an outside stadium

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Hiring of Pete and John

Votes: 40 49.4%
  • Russell Wilson and the gang

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 28 34.6%

• Total voters

ptisme

Reaction score
Wisconsin.... Paul Allen knew he had a train wreck.... He brought in Ted Thompson and Mike Holmgren... Then turned up the heat with Green Bay native John Schneider... When in doubt, look to the class of the NFL for help.... PS, there is also Badger Russel Wilson.....

PackerNation

Reaction score
ptisme":1wgcf06f said:
Wisconsin.... Paul Allen knew he had a train wreck.... He brought in Ted Thompson and Mike Holmgren... Then turned up the heat with Green Bay native John Schneider... When in doubt, look to the class of the NFL for help.... PS, there is also Badger Russel Wilson.....

This really isn't too far off, but I think it's the Green Bay model of success. Win forever vs. the cycle. In a nutshell:

Stock your 53 man roster with about 30-35 players on low-cost rookie contracts. 19 out of 20 of these "rookie contract" players were drafted directly by Green Bay or signed right after the draft as rookie free agents.

Right now, Green Bay has 32 players on these rookie contracts and 20 players on Free Agent contracts.

When you sign a player to a non-rookie contract - in 9 out of 10 cases - make that a player that is a player that you drafted and has performed well in your own system for 3 to 4 years.

Winning forever is better:

Pete Carroll and John Schneider do not want the cycle, they want to Win Forever. Pete Carroll won seven straight Pac-10 Championships. In his 9th season at USC he went 8-4. Lane Kiffin went 8-4 in his first year, but just capped out a 10-2 season. Credit to Lane. Also, credit Carroll as right now USC would probably be a challenge to every college team in America, including LSU. Kiffin recruited a lot of the players, but so did Carroll. Despite the sanctions, USC is still Winning Forever.

Here is the full 4 part article on Fieldgulls:

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2011/11/30/25 ... n-ron-wolf

Enjoy. I wish I wrote this piece, it's brilliant.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2u019zh2 said:
Paul Allen buying the team followed by the Pete Carrol - JS hires.

Bingo. Although I would say our success started with hiring Holmgren to be honest. Also moving to the NFC West did help out as well.