What's the catalyst for the Hawks success this century?

What's the catlyst for the Hwks success since the mediocre years back in the 20th century?

• Hiring of Holmgren

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • Move to an outside stadium

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Hiring of Pete and John

Votes: 40 49.4%
  • Russell Wilson and the gang

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 28 34.6%

• Total voters

pmedic920

Reaction score
Having an owner that provides the correct tools AND stays the hell out of the way is a huge deal.

I feel so bad for Cowboy fans, when it comes to this situation.
Yea the dates aren't perfect but I think P.A. Is ultimately the Answer.
Long live Paul A.
GoHawks.

crosfam

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2d54vzws said:
Paul Allen buying the team followed by the Pete Carrol - JS hires.

That's it. From moving to Anaheim in the middle of the night owned by Ken B - to Paul Allen buying the team, and taking us to new heights. this team reminds me of the Steelers in the 70's, which was the foundation that results in them being pretty good and pretty consistent for the 40 years that followed.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
seabowl":3su1vlbj said:
For me it's hard to pick one but I would have to say the move outside has turned the franchise from a finesse team to a tougher team that can win on the road. I also believe the fans, although very loud back in the Kingdome, have turned it up a notch since being outside in the elements.

Complete nonsense, imo.

Other than the correct answer regarding Paul Allen, the catalyst for the Seahawks real success has been the Carroll/Schneider hires.

When Holmgren's teams were playing outdoors, they were still known as finesse teams that couldn't win on the road. The word on the Seahawks was that if you punched them in the mouth, they'd fold. Holmgren's teams could beat the weak teams (most of the time) and would consistently fold against the strong teams. Outdoors, indoors, didn't matter. The reason we kept winning the division in the mid 2000s was because the rest of the teams were so horrible for so long.

It took Carroll - a defensive coach - and a complete change of team identity and philosophy to become the tough team we are now. And it's no mystery why success has followed. Carroll has said it himself... he's just following the most reliable recipe for championship success in the NFL... strong running game, strong D, limit turnovers.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
chris98251":353unrwx said:
Well since Paul bought the Seahawks the last Century that answer is null.

But I think the firing of Ruskell was the catalyst, it made it possible to start everything we see now.

The question is what is the catalyst for the hawks success this century not what is the catalyst this century for the hawks success. Paul buying the team is certainly not a null answer, and is imho the most correct answer.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":18i9s7bx said:
Paul Allen buying the team followed by the Pete Carrol - JS hires.

^^ This, it all started with getting the right owner control of the team.

Tical21

Reaction score
Parody, and finding a QB in the third round after the new rookie salary structure.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
The Big Bang should get the nod, if anything (or God for the pious). Defining the catalyst for our success this century is an attempt to pair a cause with an effect. The effect in question is our success and most of the posters thus far are have attempted to attribute that to a particular cause in Paul Allen. The problem with this line of thinking is Paul Allen and his foremost qualities that have made him so worthy of being defined as a cause for our success (his rationality and incredible financial wealth) are effects in this paradigm as well. Thus, whatever caused Paul Allen to be the Paul Allen that caused the Seahawks to become the top team of the current decade could also be defined as our catalyst. Beyond that whatever caused the cause that caused Paul Allen could be defined as... well, you guys get the picture: it's a transitive relation. If A "causes" B and B "causes" C, then A also "causes" C.

Therefore, if we must talk about the Seahawks recent success in the context of a story like we are here (as we human beings are innately prone to doing) then the credit should go to whatever we think is the earliest cause of all, such as God, the Big Bang, etc. As important as Paul Allen is to the Seahawks, he's not nearly as important as the formation of our planet, the development of our atmosphere, the domestication of horses, the discovery of germs, the development of medicine, and all the other lovely stuff that predates him by hundreds, thousands, and millions of years and beyond.

Tical21

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3inqrrxe said:
Tical21":3inqrrxe said:

Not sure if serious...
Probably the wrong word. But what I mean to say is that eventually, every team is going to get it right. The lowly Seattle Seahawks even. They have played in back-to-back Super Bowls. The Pats were quite bad for a really long time. Heck, the Cardinals almost won a Super Bowl. Nobody saw Carroll becoming this good in the NFL. Nobody, not even the Seahawks knew guys like Sherman, Chancellor or Clemons would have the kind if impacts they did. I'm not calling it luck, because in this case it is clear that they made their own, they coaches the guys up and got the absolute most out of their players, but there is a bit of a "stars aligning" factor at play here.

original poster

Reaction score
You can't really pin it on one person in my opinion. With Paul Allen but without Pete? What happens? With Pete but without John?

It's a combination of lots of people that fit perfectly that have taken to Hawks to where they are, no single person is capable of doing it on their own.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'm surprised that the OP did not include the most obvious choice.

For anyone that has followed the Hawks for more than 20 years (I've been a Hawk fan since the get go), Paul Allen's purchase of the team from Ken Behring is the no brainer, slam dunk obvious choice to answer the OP. All of the subsequent options were as a direct result of his buying the team. Heck, if not for Paul Allen, we'd be the Los Angeles or California Seahawks.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
Tical21":20nfc08b said:
peachesenregalia":20nfc08b said:
Tical21":20nfc08b said:

Not sure if serious...
Probably the wrong word. But what I mean to say is that eventually, every team is going to get it right. The lowly Seattle Seahawks even. They have played in back-to-back Super Bowls. The Pats were quite bad for a really long time. Heck, the Cardinals almost won a Super Bowl. Nobody saw Carroll becoming this good in the NFL. Nobody, not even the Seahawks knew guys like Sherman, Chancellor or Clemons would have the kind if impacts they did. I'm not calling it luck, because in this case it is clear that they made their own, they coaches the guys up and got the absolute most out of their players, but there is a bit of a "stars aligning" factor at play here.

So you mean "parity". Parody is something else altogether. Here, have a pair o' tees: :)

1103181234574037.jpg

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
For me, even though he was hired a year before the turn of the century, it was Mike Holmgren. He absolutely changed the culture of this football team from mentally weak to a disciplined team that learned how to win on a more regular basis. Holmgren was the catalyst that created this notion in the Pacific Northwest that the Seattle Seahawks CAN be a good, winning football program. It peaked in 2005 with our first Super Bowl appearance (as we all know should have been our first Super Bowl championship), and even though that era came to an end, it gave us a winning identity to prepare us for the PC/JS era we are all now enjoying in droves.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
Paul Allen

Rarely (never?) do bad owners bring consistent winning to an organization. Good/great ownership is able to overcome temporary hurdles and position the team to win once again

Smoke

Reaction score
In the 2000's I think a couple of stars aligned.....or......realigned.....as in moving to the NFC West/Seahawks stadium (which really wasn't hella loud till that giants game in 2005) and having holmgrens roster kinda peak all at the same time....

In the 2010's its been all Pete/JS

bloodkingg

Reaction score
Why couldn't it be us or even just the location of Seattle? Sure Paul Allen is a damn good answer but why did Paul Allen move to the Northwest? Why was Microsoft founded here in the first place? Because Seattle is a great place to live. Us as citizens vote for the laws to protect this ideal environment and make this place in South Alaska a desirable locale.

Maybe it took some time for the right set of circumstances to occur for this situation to occur but now a rich local business has had the free time to invest in his local community. We see this more and more with players moving here and wanting to stay here in the area. These processes just take time...who knows with the right ownership we could have a monopoly in the league in 50 years :179422: