What would your ideal draft look like?

VegasSeahawkFan

Reaction score
I feel that Houston's move and Jacksonville's move will determine our ability to trade down or not. If Houston picks Mack or Clowney and Jacksonville passes on qb then I could see a massive slide of Teddy B. or Carr. Being the last pick of the first night some team could want to trade with us knowing that Houston and Jacksonville will most likely pick qb in round 2 the next day. We shall see...

Seafan

Reaction score
If one of the premium receivers isn't available at 32 the Hawks shouldn't waste ANY picks on receiver. Seattle's roster is loaded with #2 receivers and drafting another will be a waste.

I don't know if the Hawks value any of the tackles that will be available at 32. They valued Carpenter as a first round guard/tackle when nobody else did. Hopefully they can find an impact starting quality OT somewhere in this draft. I hope they can actually upgrade the RT position.

I hope 4 QBs are drafted in the first round. That will push more talent down to #32.

After pick 14 in the first the Hawks haven't done well on opening night. They also have been mediocre in round four. Hopefully that will change this time.

Do the Hawks stand pat with 6 picks? There are 19 roster spots currently open but how many will be available in September? After all the "losses" this off season the roster is still talented, young and deep. There will be several UDFA who will have as good a chance to make the roster as guys selected 4-6. If there is a guy available when they pick they really like they should take him and not trade down to pick up quantity.

The trade for Pryor is obviously a statement about both their own roster and their feelings about the draft. Can Pryor impact the team in 2014? He might. And it will be for 1 year only. They must feel they can get guys after the draft that will have as good a chance to make the team as pick 247. The question is if that chance is nearly zero. I think so.

seatt1eslew

Reaction score
Keeping with Kearly's three factors theme:

1. Same as OP. Trade out of 32. At first glance trading down to Jax for 39 and 105 (4th) seems logical; might have to give them our 6th for their 7th too. However, this would hinge on whether Jax has drafted a QB yet, and if Bridgewater/Carr/whoever Jax likes is still there at 32. At 39 on day two, continue trade down considerations and make a pick in the top 45 for best athlete available. Maybe someone has slipped, if I had my druthers, a DT/5 tech prospect sounds great.

2. Draft Brandon Coleman in the 4th (Happy English?). Hopefully trading out of the 1st netted at least one other 4th (possibly 105 from JAX), or has netted enough 5th/6th to trade up in the 4th and get the guy we want. If Brandon Coleman is not the guy, fine, but I'd like to see a big bodied WR. (Dang, I swear I'm not copying Kearly).

3. Don't sleep on Mamba. I can't believe I'm saying this, but being a Beaver Believer I've seen him a lot. If he's there in the 6th pounce. Eagles probably already have him by then, and could be the reason that DJax was expendable. Watch the Eagles take him in the 3rd. Otherwise, add PR competition at WR late after adding the big bodied WR in the 4th.

twelthmanfan

Reaction score
I predicted this a few days ago so you know I am not copying from above.

Seattle trades the 32nd pick to the Jags so they can get the QB they want.

32nd pick is worth 590 points

Seattle gets the following in exchange.
39th pick in 2nd round worth 510 points
114th pick in the 4th round worth 66 points
205th pick in the 6th round worth 10 points

Now they have;
Pick 39
Pick 64
Pick 114
Pick 132
Pick 146
Pick 172
Pick 205
Pick 208

I have to go to work so more will be revealed.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Swap our 1st with the Jags 2nd & 3rd round picks so they can get Manziel. If he falls.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
32 RT Juwan James
64 DE Demarcus Lawerance
132 CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste
146 WR Devin Street
172 WR Josh Huff
208 DE Elhadji Ndiaye

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
1. Trade Down

Turn #32 and #64 into four Day 3 picks let's say a 4, 5, 6, and 7.

2. Trade In 2015 1st Rounder for a Top 10 2nd Round pick (let's say JAGs)

3. With the two 2nd Rounders and an early 3rd, I would love to draft:

TE, Austin Sefarin-Jenkins (People want to see a big WR here but I rather have elite blockers/elite Red Zone targets carrying 5 WRs/4 TEs is plausible especially when ASJ and Willson are athletic enough to play some WR at times)

CB, Stanley Jean-Baptise (6'2, 215 with 4.45 40... cmon son...Seahawks lost Browner and Thurmond plus with Maxwell leaving in '15 give Simon and Lane a big challenge opposite RS25)

OT, Billy Turner (Juwuan James is the OT I really like but I have little faith he makes it to #64, so Seahawks trade down and grab a potentially solid RT prospect in the process).

4. Then with the 8 other draft picks draft a couple of WRs, couple more OL, a DLine or two, a LBer, and/or S then call it a day.

McGruff

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3k1und48 said:
32 RT Juwan James
64 DE Demarcus Lawerance
132 CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste
146 WR Devin Street
172 WR Josh Huff
208 DE Elhadji Ndiaye

I don't see any way in a copy cat league how Jean-Baptiste is available in the 4th round. I doubt he's there for us in the 2nd, and half expect someone (maybe even us!) to take him in the 1st.

If we are looking at big corners, Pierre Desir and Keith McGill are more likely targets. A guy to look at later that I think the Seahawks will really like is Dontae Johnson. He may be their 5th rounder to watch.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
With Baptiste it must all be on potential because watching him play he looks terrible and very stiff to me. His tackling is horrendous.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Using the latest Walterfootball mock, I'd stick with his picks for the most part.

Rd 1 Joel Bitonio
Rd 2 Demarcus Smith
Rd 4 Philip Gaines
Rd 5 Brandon Coleman
Rd 5 Trai Turner

I might have swapped out Latimer for Bitonio too.

McGruff

Reaction score
Natethegreat":3m62xm4a said:
With Baptiste it must all be on potential because watching him play he looks terrible and very stiff to me. His tackling is horrendous.

Go watch Richard Sherman as a senior at Stanford. Its almost identical.

pcbball12

Reaction score
I am with you on Billy Turner. He has turned into one of my favorite guys to watch in this draft. As Doug Farrar would put it, he is a complete ass kicker. Checks all the boxes physically and athletically. He is a complete mauler in the run game (tons of pancake blocks: so fun to watch on film). Really good feet in pass pro and a nasty punch. Has a real mean streak to him. Think he would be an ideal fit with Cable. Wouldn't be upset if he was the pick at 64 (call me crazy, but I could get excited if he was a surprise pick at 32 that is how much I love him).

Reaction score
Knowing how we draft, we'll probably pick up Billy Turner at 32. I remember wanting Brandon Irvin really bad in the 3rd round and was shocked when we picked him in the first.

two dog

Reaction score
Ideally, it would be Cody Latimer at 32. I have drunk the kool Aid brethren. Drunk and drunk, now I'm a Latimer believer.
Doesn't sound like he's gonna be there at 32 does it ?
Next man up for me is Ryan Shazier. Sparqy and Seahawky as hell, SF or Denver will probably be his new home.

The guy I'm hangin' my hat on is Kareem Martin. He's taller than Clowney, he's heavier than Clowney, but here is where it
grts interesting. His short shuttle is faster than Clowney and his 3 cone shuttle is also faster. Martin's broad jump and bench
lift are better than Clowney's too. The press raved about Clowney's workout based mainly on a blazing 40 time, a full .2
faster than Martin who ran 4.72 which is still moving pretty good. Clowney's 10 yd. split is 5/100 quicker and his vertical
is 2 inches better. They were the only two DE who scored a pSparq over 140. Clowney 140.6, Martin 140.1. I'll admit I'm
just talking about workout numbers but the Seahawks like that quick short shuttle and his 10 yard is pretty damn fast too.

Wide receiver at 64, best available. I would like to hear Duvernay-Tardif, Billy Turner or Matt Patchen in the mid rounds.
If you prefer a guard, Trai Turner, John Urschel or Charles Leno. Or maybe DT/G Caraun Reid.

Late round I would like to see Taylor Martinez as a developmental WR. Bennie Fowler also a late WR possibility. Also a CB
and a linebacker nobody else wants.

Most intriguing for me is Jeremiah Attaochu but balancing his probable draft position with our needs doesn't seem to work.

General Manager

Reaction score
kearly":20tlfzeg said:
For me, my ideal 2014 draft would hinge on three factors:

#1: Finding a way to trade down early to add picks.

Trading down is going to be hard this year because a deep draft like this one will mean everyone wants to sell and few want to buy. The best options at WR and OL for pick #32 are going to look pretty similar to the best options at pick #50, it's pretty likely that at least a few players we'd consider at #32 will fall all the way the #64 in a draft like this one.

We probably won't get "draft chart" value with a trade this year, and we'd lose out on a potential money saving 5th year option by trading out of the first, but anything Seattle can do to add picks is fine with me.

Even if it means making a lot of small moves for 4th, 5th, 6th rounders, because you can always bundle those picks later to move into say the 3rd round. I fully expect to see some very appealing names still hanging around in rounds 3 and 4 so having the ability to move up or into those rounds with added draft ammunition is a pretty big deal.

#2: Draft at least two receivers in the first four rounds.

I wouldn't even mind if Seattle went WR-WR with their first two picks, especially if they move down first. If for example you had to choose between Moncrief and Bryant at #32, you pick one of those guys and the one you didn't pick makes it all the way to #64, wouldn't it be tempting to get both? It doesn't have to be Moncrief or Bryant, it could be Latimer / Adams, or Matthews/Robinson, etc. Whatever you want. Point is, if there was ever a draft to load up a bit at WR, this is that draft.

Granted, WR is in a roster crunch with Harvin, Rice, Baldwin, and Kearse all being above average talents, and Ricardo Lockette is suddenly looking like one of the best special teams players we've ever had. That said, four of those five are free agents in 2015 (Kearse would be RFA). Seattle has a history of being cutthroat at WR, a trait JS probably learned while in Green Bay. Meaning, it's pretty likely we'll see some significant departures at WR after next season. So dealing with a little bit of a WR roster crunch in 2014 would likely pay off in 2015 and beyond.

#3: Avoid OL at #32

Rather than going all in with Moses or Su'a Filo or Bitonio with their first pick, I'd rather see Seattle stockpile some picks and move around in rounds 3-5 for lunch pail guys who are good system fits like Billy Turner or Juwuan James. It doesn't have to be those two (though I like Turner quite a lot), but I'd much rather see Seattle take more of a quantity approach for multiple OL a little later rather than blowing a single high pick in what is a weaker than advertised 2nd wave of OL talent.

Now, if a guy like Taylor Lewan falls into range for Seattle then that's a different story. And if Seattle believes Cyrus Kouandjio's knee will be just fine then he'd make an excellent pick at #32. But barring those two scenarios, I don't really see an OL option at #32 that feels like a good value pick, especially when considering some of the playmaker talent that figures to be available there.

I don't agree that they shouldn't take an OT in the first round if we could get Moses then Bryant, Adams or Robinson at 64 that would be fine with me. I do agree we shouldn't take a Guard .

DavidSeven

Reaction score
kearly":2uu7sb2a said:
For me, my ideal 2014 draft would hinge on three factors:

#1: Finding a way to trade down early to add picks.

The thing that's going to work to our advantage here is that the top QBs seem to be dropping, and some team is going to love the idea of locking one up for 5 years at the #32 spot, as opposed to 4 years somewhere in the 2nd round. Also, it looks like HOU is probably going non-QB at #1, which makes QB a huge need for them at #33. If other teams like a guy in that range, they're going to have to jump ahead of HOU.

penihawk

Reaction score
Although I agree with Kearly that we need/will move around early to add a couple picks this is how I would like to see it play out as we sit right now.

1) Stephon Tuitt- DT Can't see them pass Red's far more athletic replacement if he is still on the board.

2)Kareem Martin- DE Another athletic player with a high ceiling to put the DL in a position to be fine with Avril getting paid after this year.

4)Devin Street- WR Not sure what they have in mind for the wr corps but I like this guy if he makes it this far.

5)Seantrel Henderson- OT He has lots of problems but is a 1st rd talent if they can get him to lay off the weed,stay healthy and coach him up.

5)Antone Exum- CB/S Versatile player that is also a good special teamer.

6)Aaron Lynch-DE Like Henderson, has the potential to be very good if they can get him to play.

I will be happy with any combination of these positions if we stand pat with the 6 picks. If one of the top TE prospects falls down the board I would be on board with that as well.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I'd love to leave the first two rounds with Tuitt and Moncrief.

It would be nice to get DAT or Dri Archer mid-late (big fan of both, but I'm not sure there is a roster spot for either).

Mojambo

Reaction score
bbsplitter":2cjrrqta said:
Swap our 1st with the Jags 2nd & 3rd round picks so they can get Manziel. If he falls.

There's just no way on earth Manziel slips to 32.

JZ#1

Reaction score
lol at the guy who had Philip Gaines going in the 4th round. I would be shocked if he fell out of the 2nd round.