What would your general yearly draft stratagy be?

Spohawks

Reaction score
Lets say you are the GM, any overall year in and year out strategy ideas?

Mine would be to only draft starters, no projects. Know what your needs are, get your starters and trade the rest for future starter picks.

Example...Rounds 1-4, be it QB, RG or ST...if he would start...draft him. As the draft goes on those 4-7 rounds should be bundled up for a 2nd round (or whatever) pick next year.

Do projects come through? Yes, but its rare...1st and 2nd rounders are where its at.

sutz

Reaction score
Might work for your fantasy team. :LOL: Those late round picks are where your primary depth comes from.

hawkfan68

Reaction score

Mine would be to only draft starters, no projects. Know what your needs are, get your starters and trade the rest for future starter picks.

Example...Rounds 1-4, be it QB, RG or ST...if he would start...draft him. As the draft goes on those 4-7 rounds should be bundled up for a 2nd round (or whatever) pick next year.

Do projects come through? Yes, but its rare...1st and 2nd rounders are where its at.
How do you determine these would be starters from day 1? The draft is a crapshoot. That's why so called all time greatest QB in the NFL was a 6th round pick.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Might work for your fantasy team. :LOL: Those late round picks are where your primary depth comes from.
Exactly. With fewer overall picks you’re left filling out the roster with free agents.

As a result you’re either overpaying for FAs in demand or signing street level talent.

If you draft well you could have a nice starting line up, but what happens when the inevitable injuries stack up?

OP
OP
S

Spohawks

Reaction score
The Seahawks have about 8 players that are starter caliber. With 44 depth players, weez full on depth.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
The Seahawks have about 8 players that are starter caliber. With 44 depth players, weez full on depth.
Which argues against your strategy…the Hawks thought they were drafting starters.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score

How are going to fill out the rest of your roster? You’re going to have a bunch of free agents? They are projects, too.

Kinger95

Reaction score
If Anderson or Carter are available at 5 you take them. If not you trade 5 to Carolina for 9 and a 2024 1st round pick.
Take tyree Wilson or Myles Murphy at 9. Trade from 20 back to 30ish for additional pick in the 70’s. Need to walk away from this draft with a new C , WR, 2 LB’s , S , DT , DE and all I hope are guys that can come in a play right away because realistically there’s not much to outplay at some of those positions

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
BPA that fits your system. If your spot comes up and the player you like is there and is a team strength draft him anyways depth is never a bad thing especially if a position that gets injuries or turnover. A player can always be used as a bargaining chip later on

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
If Anderson or Carter are available at 5 you take them. If not you trade 5 to Carolina for 9 and a 2024 1st round pick.
Take tyree Wilson or Myles Murphy at 9. Trade from 20 back to 30ish for additional pick in the 70’s. Need to walk away from this draft with a new C , WR, 2 LB’s , S , DT , DE and all I hope are guys that can come in a play right away because realistically there’s not much to outplay at some of those positions
I like the strategy. That would take a historically great draft to pull that off; like better than 2012 level. Some of those starting positions will have to be filled by FA acquisitions and hopefully a couple more years of draft picks.

12forlife

Reaction score
Don't forget RG, I also don't feel confident across from Wollen.

BASF

Reaction score
Don't forget RG, I also don't feel confident across from Wollen.
Brown will be back to full strength to start next season, so be confident. As far as RG I have pointed out there is more depth at center in the draft in this season, so RG should be where we strike first.

OP
OP
S

Spohawks

Reaction score
How are going to fill out the rest of your roster? You’re going to have a bunch of free agents? They are projects, too.
For those freaking out about rounds 4-7 being traded away...thats just 4 player...and its really 3 because next year there is an added 2nd round pick from that trade.

Now add in the 6th and 7th rounders statistically will only see the field a few times a year...you are really only out 1 player with the rest starters.

nwHawk

Reaction score

You mean like Aaron Curry? Slam dunk safe pick?

Tariq Woolen is holding on line 1.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I’d draft DTs as if they are RBs.

RBs should probably be drafted at least 1 in top 3 rounds every other year or so cause they take just a brutal pounding.

We now see how incredibly thin our DT rotation now is.

DTs are such an incredibly important position, it merits to draft talent for DTs early and often, even if you feel you are deep at DT cause you can always get a steady talented rotation that can play a variety of different scheme and packages.

Seattle is in such desperate need of a talent pocket collapser that they could theoretically use the first four picks on DT this year and it probably wouldn’t be a bad thing.

I’m so jealous of teams that have great DTs. I look at Seattle and the cupboard is bare….

BASF

Reaction score
For me the later rounds have to be depth at LB, S, RB and WR. Being able to cycle through these positions with good depth is absolutely critical because they are the positions that see the field the most due to special teams/injuries. That being said, if you are comfortable with the depth in any one of those positions, DT has to be picked up first and foremost. Being able to rotate your guys without too much drop off is critical as they are the ones who set the tone at the line of scrimmage.

Next in line is guard/center when the need is there. Again they are the tone setters at the line of scrimmage on offense and see quite a bit of turnover due to injury.

The rare occasions when there is a really good athlete at DE who for whatever reason did not have good production slips into the fourth, you have to jump on them. They could be big time contributors with the right coaching (of course our D-Line coach and D-Coordinator don't have a great history there, but you never know).

As far as the Seahawks this season, I am moving down a couple of spots at a time and hoarding third and fourth round picks. This team needs a lot of help defensively and this draft is not rich in top talent, but deep in the solid starter department.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
For those freaking out about rounds 4-7 being traded away...thats just 4 player...and its really 3 because next year there is an added 2nd round pick from that trade.

Now add in the 6th and 7th rounders statistically will only see the field a few times a year...you are really only out 1 player with the rest starters.
Those lower round picks have very little trade value. They aren’t going to trade away a probable starter for a lottery ticket on a chance to find a lower round starter. Check the draft value chart.

So you still have to bring in free agents to fill your roster. I don’t see it working any other way, which is why no GM does this.

OP
OP
S

Spohawks

Reaction score
Those lower round picks have very little trade value. They aren’t going to trade away a probable starter for a lottery ticket on a chance to find a lower round starter. Check the draft value chart.

So you still have to bring in free agents to fill your roster. I don’t see it working any other way, which is why no GM does this.
Great points. So as GM of the year I would have to push that future 2nd round pick out a few years.

Do you think another GM who needs to win this year or he is on the hot seat would do this year's 5-7 for 2025 2nd rounder?

In my made up GM world, I am hired for 20 years, the first couple of years might be thin but I am winning Super Bowls left and right.

Kinger95

Reaction score
this team has a god awful time rushing the passer and stopping the run. Like absolutely abysmal. Was the reason we lost a ton of games. Adress it in the draft and free agency. Our picks at 5/20 need to be DT/Edge in whatever order it shakes down and at picks 37/52 you need to take a linebacker with one of those picks.