What would your general yearly draft stratagy be?

Weadoption

Reaction score
AI will be the answer someday, it’s inevitable. Likely already happening teams aren’t exactly advertising their models or metrics. With as much on the line, i’d imagine the Jerry Joneses of the worlds spare no expense.

HawksNation

Reaction score
Lets say you are the GM, any overall year in and year out strategy ideas?

Mine would be to only draft starters, no projects. Know what your needs are, get your starters and trade the rest for future starter picks.

Example...Rounds 1-4, be it QB, RG or ST...if he would start...draft him. As the draft goes on those 4-7 rounds should be bundled up for a 2nd round (or whatever) pick next year.

Do projects come through? Yes, but its rare...1st and 2nd rounders are where its at.
Do the exact opposite of this strategy. A first round player has 37% chance of being successful in the NFL
2nd and 3rd round is like 28%.

Your strategy would end up with 5 picks a year, you would be lucky to have 2 players a year that are actually successful.

Play the numbers and accumulate draft picks,
More picks=more success

Blazin Hawk

Reaction score
I’ve got a few loose rules but obviously there’s always exceptions. Some of them are:

1. BPA - Don’t pass up on an all pro DE and reach for a Safety because you have a hole.

2. Trenches - The game is about executing your game plan and you can’t do this if you can’t run the ball and give your QB time to throw. Obviously, defensively it is the complete opposite (stop the run/get pressure). For this reason I prioritize the trenches early and often.

3. Use early picks on key positions - Use early draft capital on the most important positions to your scheme. QB, DE, CB, T & other front 7 defenders are where I’d focus. If the BPA isn’t a core position then trade back and add capital. If you have a good line and pass rush, you shouldn’t have to invest too heavily on RBs and Safeties and should be able to plug these with mid-late picks and affordable FA’s.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The Seahawks are in a NO LOSE situation, no matter how you cut it.
#1> IF Will Anderson is gone, you pick up Carter, and live with the Kudo's or Consequences of that pick, frankly, I think he is going to kick some ass and WHOEVER takes him will be glad they did.
#2 IF THEY TRADE OUT, I think it will be with the Raiders, and I think that it's more likely than not, they (the Raiders) take Richardson, and so IF they still want a kickass Defender after the swap?, I think they have to consider the 7th pick to be.....Anderson = McDonald = Carter, because NONE of these guys are scrubs.
#3 Should they decide to take AR, a 6'-4", 244 Pound ATHLETIC FREAK, it will be because they will have taken a consensus of all the involved Coaching staff, and think that he's worth the risk.
I KNOW there are some here that think they know more about the players that will be available to Pete & John, let me ask you, when was the last time they took the obvious player that y'all knew they should have taken?
The way I see it, there are some here that STILL loathe PC so it doesn't matter which way he & JS go with the two first round picks, they will still p*ss & Moan about it, BUT for the rest of us NORMAL THINKING FANS? Well, we know that they are going to do right and take the players that we absolutely need to stay at or around the top of the NFC West. (chest fills with pride and all that jazz) lololol

JerHawk81

Reaction score
My philosophy:

1: Never fall in love with a single player. That's when you make mistakes.
2: Trust the film above everything else.
3: Every player has risks and upsides; Very very few players ever experience either of these.
4: In the long term, future draft picks are worth about as much as current draft picks. So, trading for future draft picks is a key to long term success. Trading a second rounder for a future first is almost always a no brainer.
5: In the long term, trading back provides more value.