What would it take for Wilson to win MVP?

McGruff

Reaction score
[youtube]OIXkD-WH7yU[/youtube]

Lots of Russ for MVP talk on national media.

Deservedly so.

But also, may that temper the injustice many fans erroneously feel about Russ being slighted.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, he's def getting his due this year. I doubt he cares really, but it's funny that it's took 7 plus years for some consistent credit. Oh well, he has been one of the best for years so......

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, so many of these media types are so transparent, especially former players. It's hilarious, yet when they DO say something good, it's not even slightly heartfelt. Doesn't matter, anyone who knows football knows that Russ is ballin out, yet again.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
hgwellz12":1pbqzs3a said:
I will see Kurt Warner one day and I'm gonna tell him to his face that he's a stone cold, straight up & down PLAYER HATER SUPREME in regards to Russ and he should be ashamed.
I don't watch any of these crap shows cuz all they consist of is people talking/shouting and I can watch football and come to pretty good opinions of my own. However, I have seen mention of Warner not liking Russ several times here. Does anyone have any idea why that is? Because he's a former Ram and Cardinal and he had to play the Seahawks?

Rat

Reaction score
John63":d2tcz8j6 said:
Rat":d2tcz8j6 said:
I'm not "making assumptions", it's an educated guess based on history and the kind of offense that we run that Russ will not put up enormous numbers every week. And as for the completion percentage thing you keep bringing up, Mahomes is at 66% for the season right now. It's less than Russ, but that isn't a number that is going to hurt him in the slightest. It's nearly identical to what he finished with a year ago.

I'm not even saying I think Mahomes should be the MVP frontrunner, just that there seems to be some double standards going on. With Russ, everyone expects the context to be considered, but with Mahomes, it's pure stats. It's a stat award, and Mahomes is more likely to put up those gaudy numbers that look hot to the voters. I'd love to be wrong and see Russ get a well-deserved MVP, I just think Mahomes has a huge edge, all things considered, and I don't think it is necessarily about Russ being "disrespected" or "unpopular".

Ahh your not making assumptions you are guessing, yup that is so much better.

What the hell are you talking about? Does someone really need to explain to you the difference between a random guess and an educated one? I gave you many reasons that I don't think Russ will light up the stat sheet every single week. Would be awesome if he did though.

McGruff

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":vqg1imxp said:
hgwellz12":vqg1imxp said:
I will see Kurt Warner one day and I'm gonna tell him to his face that he's a stone cold, straight up & down PLAYER HATER SUPREME in regards to Russ and he should be ashamed.
I don't watch any of these crap shows cuz all they consist of is people talking/shouting and I can watch football and come to pretty good opinions of my own. However, I have seen mention of Warner not liking Russ several times here. Does anyone have any idea why that is? Because he's a former Ram and Cardinal and he had to play the Seahawks?

The video clip above has him wildly praising Russ.

John63

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3ua10v6j said:
hgwellz12":3ua10v6j said:

Nope he was asked once and it is the typical not a prototypical QB ie short.

John63

Reaction score
Rat":11y0pi2u said:
John63":11y0pi2u said:
Rat":11y0pi2u said:
I'm not "making assumptions", it's an educated guess based on history and the kind of offense that we run that Russ will not put up enormous numbers every week. And as for the completion percentage thing you keep bringing up, Mahomes is at 66% for the season right now. It's less than Russ, but that isn't a number that is going to hurt him in the slightest. It's nearly identical to what he finished with a year ago.

I'm not even saying I think Mahomes should be the MVP frontrunner, just that there seems to be some double standards going on. With Russ, everyone expects the context to be considered, but with Mahomes, it's pure stats. It's a stat award, and Mahomes is more likely to put up those gaudy numbers that look hot to the voters. I'd love to be wrong and see Russ get a well-deserved MVP, I just think Mahomes has a huge edge, all things considered, and I don't think it is necessarily about Russ being "disrespected" or "unpopular".

Ahh your not making assumptions you are guessing, yup that is so much better.

What the hell are you talking about? Does someone really need to explain to you the difference between a random guess and an educated one? I gave you many reasons that I don't think Russ will light up the stat sheet every single week. Would be awesome if he did though.

LOL educated or not it is still a guess though which means you have as much chance of being wrong as right. Does someone need to explain that to you ?

McGruff

Reaction score
I dont know, past history and present scheme do seem to be pretty reliable indicators.

Likely much better than 50/50.

John63

Reaction score
McGruff":16yt3n98 said:
I dont know, past history and present scheme do seem to be pretty reliable indicators.

Really based on that then Wilson should not even be in the NFL. Also, like with anything those "factors" are open to interpretation and there for even less reliable.

McGruff

Reaction score
Somewhere between "reliable indicators" and "completely infallible" lies the truth.

McGruff

Reaction score
John63":vt7qaujo said:
McGruff":vt7qaujo said:

Really based on that then Wilson should not even be in the NFL. Also, like with anything those "factors" are open to interpretation and there for even less reliable.

So the factors in question are . . .

Seahawks teams under Pete have historically run the ball more than almost any other team in the league. And passed less.

That trend has transcended multiple running backs and 2 OC's.

On innumerable times, past and present, pete has made it clear he wants to run the ball, he will run the ball, and every thing else, offensively and defensively plays off running the ball.

When asked about the Rams game the first thing he mentioned was not Russ' 4 TDs. It was, "gosh we ran the ball 43 times. We love that."

So I guess my question is, what interpretation of that leads to you thinking Russ will be a high volume passer?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He has been by many over the years. However, that's just simply not the case this year. It would take work to turn on the TV or Radio and hear someone saying anything bad about how well Russ is playing. In fact, many of the people who seem to have been the most stubborn have finally just given up. I'm sure it hurt to do so, but even the most clueless can't ignore what he's doing. Even if they have ignore what he has done FOR YEARS. The excuses for WHY they need to convince themselves he is so good have run out.
And as far as I'm concerned, he still has plenty of room for improvement. Nobody is tougher on Russ than he probably is on himself.

John63

Reaction score
McGruff":1rv5slvx said:
John63":1rv5slvx said:
McGruff":1rv5slvx said:

So the factors in question are . . .

Seahawks teams under Pete have historically run the ball more than almost any other team in the league. And passed less.

That trend has transcended multiple running backs and 2 OC's.

On innumerable times, past and present, pete has made it clear he wants to run the ball, he will run the ball, and every thing else, offensively and defensively plays off running the ball.

When asked about the Rams game the first thing he mentioned was not Russ' 4 TDs. It was, "gosh we ran the ball 43 times. We love that."

So I guess my question is, what interpretation of that leads to you thinking Russ will be a high volume passer?

none of which says Wilson cant continue on the pace he is on, given as you say we are a running team anyway, and he is still doing it. Be different if his pass number jumped to 40 but they have not. What he is doing is within the confines of the system the biggest difference is the mixing up of the plays instead of being predictable. So great you think we will continue to run the ball..DUH but that has no barring nor did anything you provided show Wilson cannot keep this pace up.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Russ is getting praise from the national media, after playing at a near perfect level. So he has to play perfect essentially to get the same respect as others.

That’s the point. Russell has always gotten SOME praise. People have always liked him. But he has never gotten the wall to wall coverage and obsession that Mahomes, Luck, and others have in the past. And I watch a LOT of sports talk shows regularly.

It’s easy now to dismiss Hawks fans as delusional for feeling this way. But many Hawks fans are used to either defending Russ, or arguing with a large swath of fans that Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Carson Wentz, Mahomes, etc etc are all better than him. Even when Kurt Warner praises him, he’ll still at times find a way to place him behind others. Even after a GREAT game.

As I’ve always said, Russ doesn’t look or feel the part to many. He came in the league as a Tarkenton like QB, and everyone pretended as if he had very little to do with our early success. Factoring in his performances, that was never factual. It’s taken EIGHT YEARS for people to universally acknowledge him as a great QB. Eight years