What would it take for Wilson to win MVP?

John63

Reaction score
Rat":2d87uc9y said:
IndyHawk":2d87uc9y said:
ZagHawk":2d87uc9y said:
The last time RW was brought up for the MVP conversation, he had a game or two where he played like garbage, or least NOT MVP material. Mahomes finally had a game (despite injury) where he did not look MVP material and I'm sure that's going to continue moving forward for at least another game. RW needs to continue playing like he did in this Rams game in wins AND LOSSES. He needs to be able to pass effectively no matter the pressure, because we as fans will point to a bad day for RW as "look at the O-Line he has no time" but the MVP committee is just going to look at stats and if he wasn't effective by the numbers for that game (despite the defense of other team) they wont' care.
Last 8 Qtrs...1 TD pass.Thats 2 bad games for the human QB.

Still nearly 650 yards passing and another 70 rushing between those two games though, and in one of them, his team still scored 34 points and won on the road; they were just running it in when they got near the end zone (3 rushing TDs). It has been a mortal stretch by his standards, but it's not like he has been Baker Mayfield out there either.

No but he has not been MVP level either.

example
57% and 56% his last 2 games complt% that is not MVP. 81 and 91 his last 2 Qb rating again not MVP level. Now he might get back on track which is fine everyone has a bad game or 2. But those 2 numbers a not good.

Rat

Reaction score
John63":3np8ddfh said:
Rat":3np8ddfh said:
IndyHawk":3np8ddfh said:
ZagHawk":3np8ddfh said:
The last time RW was brought up for the MVP conversation, he had a game or two where he played like garbage, or least NOT MVP material. Mahomes finally had a game (despite injury) where he did not look MVP material and I'm sure that's going to continue moving forward for at least another game. RW needs to continue playing like he did in this Rams game in wins AND LOSSES. He needs to be able to pass effectively no matter the pressure, because we as fans will point to a bad day for RW as "look at the O-Line he has no time" but the MVP committee is just going to look at stats and if he wasn't effective by the numbers for that game (despite the defense of other team) they wont' care.

Still nearly 650 yards passing and another 70 rushing between those two games though, and in one of them, his team still scored 34 points and won on the road; they were just running it in when they got near the end zone (3 rushing TDs). It has been a mortal stretch by his standards, but it's not like he has been Baker Mayfield out there either.

example
57% and 56% his last 2 games complt% that is not MVP. 81 and 91 his last 2 Qb rating again not MVP level. Now he might get back on track which is fine everyone has a bad game or 2. But those 2 numbers a not good.

I agree that isn't an MVP caliber two-game stretch, but nobody does that for 16 games. I'm just saying that if those end up being Mahomes' "bad" games, he will be very hard to beat. Russ is going to have down games too; last year he had seven games where he threw for under 200 yards.

John63

Reaction score
Rat":2p8wfq41 said:
John63":2p8wfq41 said:
Rat":2p8wfq41 said:
IndyHawk":2p8wfq41 said:

example

I agree that isn't an MVP caliber two-game stretch, but nobody does that for 16 games. I'm just saying that if those end up being Mahomes' "bad" games, he will be very hard to beat. Russ is going to have down games too; last year he had seven games where he threw for under 200 yards.

Not if Wilson does not have any bad games, and that was last year. Last year Mahomes had 9 games with a QB rating under 80, and 4 games with a Compl% under 60. The year before in his only start also Qb rating under 70.

Problem is those were last year and this is yer is a new year.

All he needs to do is keep playing like he is now.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Rat":1hwfb9fm said:
IndyHawk":1hwfb9fm said:
ZagHawk":1hwfb9fm said:

True ..He's not Baker lol but I see people making him out to be something a lot more
than he is.
He is mortal and has weakness just like RW but he has a better OC/HC,players and soft rules of
todays game to really pad his numbers.
Nobody wants to admit any of that?RW definately has it harder and does it with less.

John63

Reaction score
IndyHawk":19nu4hzn said:
Rat":19nu4hzn said:
IndyHawk":19nu4hzn said:
ZagHawk":19nu4hzn said:

True ..He's not Baker lol but I see people making him out to be something a lot more
than he is.
He is mortal and has weakness just like RW but he has a better OC/HC,players and soft rules of
todays game to really pad his numbers.
Nobody wants to admit any of that?RW definately has it harder and does it with less.

All true however I have heard several of the talking heads making those ext points of having it harder.

Rat

Reaction score
John63":y6fmmm1j said:
Rat":y6fmmm1j said:
John63":y6fmmm1j said:
Rat":y6fmmm1j said:

example

Not if Wilson does not have any bad games, and that was last year. Last year Mahomes had 9 games with a QB rating under 80, and 4 games with a Compl% under 60. The year before in his only start also Qb rating under 70.

That's laughably unrealistic. Has any QB ever gone the whole season without a "bad game"?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
John63":fbecggda said:
Rat":fbecggda said:
John63":fbecggda said:
Rat":fbecggda said:

example

I think you are talking about QBR where the maximum is 100, not QB rating where the maximum is 158.3. Mahomes had only three games with a QB rating under 100 last season. And of the 13 games where he was over 100, only two were under 110 (one was 109.9).

Scorpion05

Reaction score
ZagHawk":25bvr4hl said:

The bias at this point is laughable.

Last year, Mahomes had 8 games with turnovers. And half of those were games with MULTIPLE turnovers. That didn’t affect the MVP race

But here, you’re arguing he “finally” had a game where he did not look MVP!??? This year, we’ve had 5 games so far. Two out of five of those (arguably 3), he has not looked MVP

And apparently, Russell’s never been dinged up? Really? The guy who had an injured MCL but wasn’t limping around so that EVERYONE on television and in the stadium could see his limp. Compared to Mahomes, who was limping to the point you’d think his leg was broken. We’re really doing this.

I can’t believe how difficult it is to get some fair minded thinking amongst NFL fans and media. I’ve seen Russell struggle to get even an ounce of respect over the years. Mahomes throws some picks, struggles in a few games, gets banged up and suddenly all the excuses Russ deserved over the years with a converted tight end as an offensive lineman and zero running game is completely forgotten to give Mahomes a million excuses

John63

Reaction score
Rat":2wmc6j46 said:
John63":2wmc6j46 said:
Rat":2wmc6j46 said:
John63":2wmc6j46 said:

example

That's laughably unrealistic. Has any QB ever gone the whole season without a "bad game"?

The answer depends on your definition of a bad game. For example Rodgers had at least 1 year were he never had a QB rating below 80.

John63

Reaction score
Seanhawk":kl2b8n4w said:
John63":kl2b8n4w said:
Rat":kl2b8n4w said:
John63":kl2b8n4w said:

example

I think you are talking about QBR where the maximum is 100, not QB rating where the maximum is 158.3. Mahomes had only three games with a QB rating under 100 last season. And of the 13 games where he was over 100, only two were under 110 (one was 109.9).

Yeah sorry got them confused going back and forth. Either way the point stands.

McGruff

Reaction score
National reporter Michael Silver on NFL network making a case for Wilson as MVP.

Rat

Reaction score
John63":29kfouwh said:
Rat":29kfouwh said:
John63":29kfouwh said:
Rat":29kfouwh said:

The answer depends on your definition of a bad game. For example Rodgers had at least 1 year were he never had a QB rating below 80.
Well, apparently it's a "bad" game for Mahomes when he throws for over 320 yards and no picks in a road victory but doesn't throw a TD because they called runs by the goal line (3TDs). If that's the standard, Russ is going to have a number of bad games this year. We're one of the heaviest run teams in the league and Carson is a tough runner who will get his. Russ isn't throwing 3-4 TDs every week.

sprhawk73

Reaction score
It's kinda funny because I don't believe racism exists to the extent people make it out to be but I have no doubt that favoritism exists in the NFL. The only way I see RW winning is if his stats end up so far above anyone else they will have no choice but to give it to him. I think that is what had to happen when Shaun Alexander got it.

rcaido

Reaction score
The thing is, people are actually talking about MVP early on. This is good for Russ. Just needs to keep winning games & throw couple TDs. Make the primetime games count!

John63

Reaction score
Rat":1u25mit7 said:
John63":1u25mit7 said:
Rat":1u25mit7 said:
John63":1u25mit7 said:

Well, apparently it's a "bad" game for Mahomes when he throws for over 320 yards and no picks in a road victory but doesn't throw a TD because they called runs by the goal line (3TDs). If that's the standard, Russ is going to have a number of bad games this year. We're one of the heaviest run teams in the league and Carson is a tough runner who will get his. Russ isn't throwing 3-4 TDs every week.

LOL spoken like a fantasy fan,

Lets look at the rest of the picture, in that game he also had a 91 Qb rating which is still good, but 56 comp% is really bad. However, because he through 39 times he got the 320 yards. People are starting to understand that more.

Example

Wilson had 300 yards a game or so ago, he also had 3 tds, he also had a qb rating of 131 and a compt% of 83. He also through for over 400 but also 2 tds, 103 qb rating and 64% complt a game or so ago.

You need to get over the yards, yards without a good complt% is not a good. It means you through enough not htat you.

You need ot understand for Wilson it is not just about TDs or yards it is the fact eh doe sit with less attempts, and higher compl#. That says alot when you can do what he does with such few attempts.

As to your he is goign to have bad games, I woudl suspect he will have bad games all QBs do, the question is what kind of bad game. Your stance he will not throw for 3-4 every week, perhaps and perhaps he will you dont know. Nor do you know if he will need to. You make a lot of assumptions.

I understand how important it is that Mahoomes be the end all be all. The problem is he is not. He is a good young QB, who benefits from a great system, a normally good oline (well better than ours), great WRs. However he needs to learn how to win when things are not perfect. When he cant run, and his Wr are not running free, or he does not have time. That is something he will learn.

Again your assertion Wilson will have bad games, or will not through for 3-4 tds a game is fine, but no QB is avg 3-4 a game and it depends on what kind of bad game. We will have to wait and see. You also presume Mahomes will not have more bad games, which he will.

The point is when you through for under 60% that is nto a good game and for Mahomes that is 2 in a row. To remind you

321 yards, 22/39 56%, 1 td, 91 QB rating
315 yards, 24/42 57%, 0 tds, 81 Qb rating.

While the yards are there the compt% is not and that is big. Almost any NFL QB can get 300 yards if they through enough.The Great Qbs do it while completing a high % of their passes.

Rat

Reaction score
I'm not "making assumptions", it's an educated guess based on history and the kind of offense that we run that Russ will not put up enormous numbers every week. And as for the completion percentage thing you keep bringing up, Mahomes is at 66% for the season right now. It's less than Russ, but that isn't a number that is going to hurt him in the slightest. It's nearly identical to what he finished with a year ago.

I'm not even saying I think Mahomes should be the MVP frontrunner, just that there seems to be some double standards going on. With Russ, everyone expects the context to be considered, but with Mahomes, it's pure stats. It's a stat award, and Mahomes is more likely to put up those gaudy numbers that look hot to the voters. I'd love to be wrong and see Russ get a well-deserved MVP, I just think Mahomes has a huge edge, all things considered, and I don't think it is necessarily about Russ being "disrespected" or "unpopular".

jmahon316

Reaction score
Rat":2cqtaalr said:
John63":2cqtaalr said:
Rat":2cqtaalr said:
John63":2cqtaalr said:

Mahomes only made 1 more touchdown throw than Wilson in the first 3 weeks. Other than that, it's been pretty close considering win/loss ratios.

John63

Reaction score
Rat":xfwl8e2d said:
I'm not "making assumptions", it's an educated guess based on history and the kind of offense that we run that Russ will not put up enormous numbers every week. And as for the completion percentage thing you keep bringing up, Mahomes is at 66% for the season right now. It's less than Russ, but that isn't a number that is going to hurt him in the slightest. It's nearly identical to what he finished with a year ago.

I'm not even saying I think Mahomes should be the MVP frontrunner, just that there seems to be some double standards going on. With Russ, everyone expects the context to be considered, but with Mahomes, it's pure stats. It's a stat award, and Mahomes is more likely to put up those gaudy numbers that look hot to the voters. I'd love to be wrong and see Russ get a well-deserved MVP, I just think Mahomes has a huge edge, all things considered, and I don't think it is necessarily about Russ being "disrespected" or "unpopular".

Ahh your not making assumptions you are guessing, yup that is so much better.

Ahh the point was you questioned if his bad game was really, bad since he had over 300 yards. I pointed out yes and why his compl&. Now you are changing it to year to date.The difference between this year adn last is other numbers of his are down and other QBs are right there or above him.

As to the rest, ye sin years past it was purely stat and winning. Howeve rif you listen to people that is changing, several people who vote for MVP are on ESPN and have said as much. As to your GUESS is fine but it is a guess, and also since we are playing the guessing game Mahomes just had a bad game against the 17th ranked defense by total yards he will see several that are better. He just played the team with the 18th ranked pass defense he will face several ranked higher. So there is no guarantee he will not also have other bad games. Also HISTORICALLY WIlsons bad games come early, guess what? Not this year so we have already broken history.

I am not saying he will keep this up, I am just saying he has as good a chance as Mahomes and these last 2 sup pa games have helped.