WFT's D. WTF?

RW92

Reaction score
Plain and simple. Their D -line is what we wish we had. Montez Sweat and Chase Young are two players we don't have but wish we did. They are true game changers as Russ will see. They also have a young rookie chosen in the 7th round by the name of Kamren Curl that is turning into a house hold name. I don't have a great feeling about this game. It will be close especially if Smith doesn't play. Haskins still shows inconsistency which could be to the Hawks advantage. But if the offensive line can't contain Young and the length of Sweat with his 7 foot wing span it could be trouble. This will be a good test for the Hawks as they approach the playoffs. If they lose badly it will be a quick exit from the Super Bowl run.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Great posts HTTWFT! Thank you for your insight, you are welcome here anytime! I too expect a defensive battle and a potential low scoring affair. It should be an entertaining battle, if not nerve wracking. Good luck to you guys the rest of the way (after Sunday of course). ;)

Tokadub

Reaction score
I need to look at the overall team stats before I have a prediction here, but I definitely share your initial concern.

I feel like the Seahawks are kinda playing as if they don't need to adjust the game plan and they can just do what they are comfortable with and win anyways... Under the best case scenario when everything is going right and all our players are in tune and healthy, that might be correct. But it seems we have gotten exposed a few times this season when the other team's coaches formulate a game plan specifically to destroy us and we aren't doing anything new...

Maybe we just don't have the talent to create unique game plans vs specific teams, we are forced to play a certain way (especially on defense)? Maybe that is the best approach with our roster, but I am concerned about any talented team with coaches that do game plan specifically for us, it seems we don't do well against that so far.

Match Up Analysis (only statitistics I haven't seen the WTF play):

Total offense yards:

Seahawks: 388 ypg (Ranked #6)
WFT: 315 ypg (Ranked #30)

Total yards allowed:

Seahawks: 390 ypg (Ranked #27)
WFT: 314 ypg (Ranked #4)

Offensive Points Per Game:

Seahawks: 30 ppg (Ranked #3)
WFT: 22 ppg (Ranked #24)

Points Allowed Per Game:

Seahawks: 25 ppg (Ranked #18)
WFT: 21 ppg (Ranked #6)

Sacks:

Seahawks: 36
WFT: 40

Turnover Differential:

Seahawks: +1
WFT: -2

Scoring Differential:

Seahawks: +69
WFT: +12

Strength of Schedule:

They are in a much worst division but yet they somehow did similar to us or even better against some of our shared opponents in terms of the final score... they also are the only team to beat the Stealers that concerns me a little, the Stealers only had 1 turnover so that doesn't seem like a fluke to me.

Conclusion:

I would not bet on this game haha... this is interesting statistically.

As bad as our defense has been overall this season that's about how bad their offense has been... it's almost a mirror match up except flipped for offense compared to defense...

My gut instinct is we can win 19-17 if we kick 4 field goals and make them all. Maybe 26-17 if we do really well on offense and score an extra touch down or our defense can catch some interceptions this time...

I feel like if we don't take the free points in a game like this we might lose (if we go for it and don't convert instead of just taking field goals)... I feel like our team is built to just take field goals now that our defense is stepping up.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
FG says if we win against WFT we clinch playoffs.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/12/15/2 ... nfl-season

But that also holds if we win either the Rams or the 49ers.

Of these I'd pick the 9ers as the easiest team to beat, mainly b/c of the QB disarray. Shan said he hasn't decided whether to start Mullens or Beathard, and meanwhile fans are rooting for PS vet Josh Johnson, who's already been on 13 teams as a backup.

Tokadub

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":34j44paw said:
This coaching staff does not like to make adjustments. It likes to do what it does and then force the other team to stop it.

I wrote my response in this thread before reading everyone's ideas, but that's exactly what it seems like to me as well.

I'm not sure if this approach can work this year, it's a close one... we have to play almost perfect football.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":gxjp6hbe said:
Aros":gxjp6hbe said:
I agree, in this game a lack of proper adjustments could get Russ killed. Heavy dose of the running game to set up play action, get the ball out under 3 seconds...Keep Russ Clean.

Tempo
Power run
misdirection sweeps and screens
quick slants and outs

You do these things successfully it should back the defense off and open up the play action game. But will Pete, Schotty and Russell change up their usual schemes?

That's what I'm afraid of, because they sure as hell don't do it against the Rams, who play a similar style defense as Washington does, and just as nasty of a front four.

So we'll see. Russell and the offense could be in for a long day if they go out there, run the play clock down to zero and rely on Russell to read the defense and hold onto the ball forcing shots downfield.

B-I-N-G-O
The results of this game will depend on Pete and the coaches. Will they make adjustments?

SonicHawk

Reaction score
The WAS defense isn't that scary. Pitts offense has been awful as of late and the rest of their wins were against bad teams.

They gave up 30 to the Lions. Come on now!

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
With young eager defensive ends wanting to get after the QBs I hope Russ has a few well timed hard counts planned.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":ha6g2i8f said:
With young eager defensive ends wanting to get after the QBs I hope Russ has a few well timed hard counts planned.

That's a guarantee. He has several a game that I've noticed. Our OL is going to be tested on Sunday without a doubt. However, the closer we get to gameday the more optimistic I feel. Not sure why.

John63

Reaction score
We will no pretty quick on both sides

On defense if we get no pressure and play zone we are in trouble

on offense, if we keep snapping the ball with 5 or fewer seconds, meaning predictable tempo and plays we are screwed.

IF we vary tempo and run and do quick passing we will win. Pretty simple

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Aros":3bcuzp2j said:
HawkRiderFan":3bcuzp2j said:

That's a guarantee. He has several a game that I've noticed. Our OL is going to be tested on Sunday without a doubt. However, the closer we get to gameday the more optimistic I feel. Not sure why.

I honestly think as ugly and close as it will be, win the turner battle, no points off big special teams returns, and the Hawks win,

sprhawk73

Reaction score
This is another opponent with a lopsided defensive line. RW should roll out to the weak side but we haven’t been seeing much of that this year.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This game is going to go very far in telling us what kind of coaching staff we have. If they don't come out with a good game plan, proper personnel groupings and proper adjustments when needed I am going to be about as disappointed as I could be with this team. Even if we lose, as long as I feel it was not due to effort and a solid game plan, I will feel a lot better about it.

That front four of theirs is all comprised of current and former first round picks! Yowza. Add to that they are on a 4-game winning streak, confidence is at a peak and we all know the power of confidence in this league. This game is winnable, certainly, but not if they don't prepare and execute accordingly.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Aros":2xzgodnm said:
This game is going to go very far in telling us what kind of coaching staff we have. If they don't come out with a good game plan, proper personnel groupings and proper adjustments when needed I am going to be about as disappointed as I could be with this team. Even if we lose, as long as I feel it was not due to effort and a solid game plan, I will feel a lot better about it.

That front four of theirs is all comprised of current and former first round picks! Yowza. Add to that they are on a 4-game winning streak, confidence is at a peak and we all know the power of confidence in this league. This game is winnable, certainly, but not if they don't prepare and execute accordingly.

I saw that Olson actually practised which is amazing. Can you imagine if he played? A veteran who can find holes and be a reliable target would be huge vs a D like this.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think this game comes down to which Schotty shows up.
If “bad Schotty” shows up Hawks lose.
If “good Schotty” shows up Hawks likely win.

Cannot afford to have a bad or lazy game plan.
Cannot afford to “wait and feel out” what the opposing defense is going to do.
Cannot afford to stick with a game plan that isn’t working.
Cannot afford to take forever to make adjustments and not have a plan B.

sutz

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":2j2b9yk8 said:
Aros":2j2b9yk8 said:

I saw that Olson actually practised which is amazing. Can you imagine if he played? A veteran who can find holes and be a reliable target would be huge vs a D like this.
Olson would be a big plus. Our 3 TE sets might be crucial this game, both as run sets and on pass plays. Having 3 TEs out there that can all block and catch would open up the game a bit for us. Plus we know Diss, and to a degreee Olson can get deep down the seams at times.

Rat

Reaction score
I hope fans aren’t underwhelmed if we win something like 17-13, even if Russ finishes with like 200 yards 1 TD 1 INT. Showing the ability to pull out that kind of win would be promising, particularly if we draw someone like the Rams in the playoffs or get into a bad weather game in January.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Great point, but you know this is dot negative. No matter how they win, plenty will downplay it.
Just get the W, couldn't care less what the score is or how it looks.

Latest posts