We Lost Because...

We lost because...

• Our defense didn't play up to expectations.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • We were out-coached for most of the game.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The worst play call in the history of the SB at the end of the game.

Votes: 110 66.7%
  • Wilson threw a bad pass at the end of the game.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Lockette didn't fight for the ball.

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Other (read my comments)

Votes: 16 9.7%

• Total voters
OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I agree, but our D also gave up 14 points in the 4th quarter. They need to take some responsibility for that.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
You do realize two of the options are the same right? I chose worst call in the history of the SB.

seaNOmercy

Reaction score
All we had to do was...

A.) hand the ball to Lymch...

wtf Bev.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
OkieHawk":2jfyr84f said:
You do realize two of the options are the same right? I chose worst call in the history of the SB.

Whoops...Fixed.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
All of these are contributing factors. No single piece explains 60 minutes of the game.

We wouldn't have needed the final play to be a "run" if the D had played better coverage.

We wouldn't have been in this situation if we'd had a different game-plan (but who's to say what it "should have been"?)

Looking for a single play is an attempt to blame one piece. We played well in many phases, but Brady and his receivers played better tonight.

It was a great game to watch, and except for our loss and the final play-calling, I thoroughly enjoyed the great football that was Super Bowl 49.

drdiags

Reaction score
Aros":3g29bjuf said:
I agree, but our D also gave up 14 points in the 4th quarter. They need to take some responsibility for that.

To me, this is it in a nutshell. Our guys may have been banged up but as B Arians said, if the Pats receivers are getting YAC vs tackled, he expected them to win. Our guys, due to whatever reason, couldn't put the Pats WR on the ground. That and Humble Thug got undressed on a national spotlight. Will find out what kind of mettle he is made of, he was attacked and couldn't hold up late.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Its a 60 minute, team game.

Maybe the offense should stop spotting the other team a quarter or half and play from the beginning.

Maybe the defense should have not given up a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter.

Maybe stop with the stupid penalties that shortened the field or gave up first downs.

All kinds of fault to go around. There is one obvious play call...but, plenty of "what ifs" to go around.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Brady carved up our defense (I think the Lane injury significantly changed everything on that side of the ball).. Kearse dropped a critical pass that could have propelled the team to put the game out of reach in the 3rd .. and despite all of that.. they were a yard away from a win

So this is all on Bevell IMO. Despite everything that unraveled in the 4th quarter, all he had to do was hand the ball off to the best running back in football.. and instead he elected to throw a slant to a 5th string WR.

bandiger

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2tsz2n1q said:
Brady carved up our defense (I think the Lane injury significantly changed everything on that side of the ball).. Kearse dropped a critical pass that could have propelled the team to put the game out of reach in the 3rd .. and despite all of that.. they were a yard away from a win

So this is altl on Bevell IMO. Despite everything that unraveled in the 4th quarter, all he had to do was hand the ball off to the best running back in football.. and instead he elected to throw a slant to a 5th string WR.

Sums up my feelings on this.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
We lost for a lot of reasons. But if I could pinpoint two it would be:

1.) Injuries to Lane and Avril.

The game completely changed when both left. Pass rush was non-existant after Avril left. Reminded me of the Atlanta playoff game a couple years ago. Do i even need to explain Tharold Simon. I think he has now given up 4 TD's in 2 playoff games.

2.) The horrible play call by Bevel. Never should have thrown it over the middle into traffic.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":3689izxj said:
We run we win, so obvious its incredible

Lynch was 1 for 5 in scoring from 1 yard out this year.

not that obvious

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":h3buu9lz said:
1) Injuries caught up to the team.

2) Bad days for both coordinators.
Agreed.
The best play for the Pats all day might have been the interception to Lane. His injury was huge.

We lost the game when Pete became afraid to put his D back on the field and put the game in Bevell's hands. I imagine his first words to Tom might have been 'Well, I didn't know you were going to do THAT!"

Uncle Si

Reaction score
kjreid":18qetizj said:
Worst call ever, run the ball, that is who we are, run the ball

This i agree with.

Look, i dont mind throwing a pass play on 2nd down. incomplete (which apparently PC thought was the only other option outside a TD) wouldve given us 2 plays from 1 yard out plus a TO.

But why "that" throw?

i dont know. im still in disbelief we lost. hell of a year, hell of a game. but this whole team's identity is built on the run. lose the game with the ball in Lynch or Wilson's hands power for power.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
LOB laid more hits on each other than they did Pat receivers. Bill Polian said bad as that last play cal lwas it was poor tackling by the secondary that cost us the game along with the inability of Simon to guard Julian Edleman and Dan Quinns stubborn refusal to adjust to that.

Of course its tough to blame Quinn when he isn't even a hawk coach he is a falcon.