We have now lost 2 Superbowls we should have won

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
drdiags":2xq43uwg said:
WilsonMVP, you are confusing me with your stats. You state things like the Vikings have not been to a Superbowl and neither the Jets etc. I know you put a caveat in there about since 1989, why not just count the entire Superbowl History because your wording is confusing.

Tough to say a team never has been to a Superbowl yet list the Superbowl winners Chiefs and Jets among them. I know you are trying to say "since" a certain date but the use of "never" doesn't make sense to me.

Why would I include the whole superbowl era...that wasnt my point...

My point was we have been to 3 superbowls from 05-Current times. From the NFC side you have to go back to the 49ers/Giants around the early 90s to find a team with more than that. In the 2000s the Giants and Ourselves have 3 superbowl appearances each, leading the NFC side.

I was pointing out, all things considered, the Seahawks have been one of the best Franchises in the NFC in basically 20-25 years and it could be a lot worse.

If you want to say the Salary Cap Era that would work too, since the Salary cap was introduced for the 1994 season. If you go by that nobody in the NFC has been to MORE Superbowls than us, but Packers and Giants have both been to the same ammount.

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
seabowl":3jdpvs97 said:
If you would have told me in 2004 we would win a bowl within the next 10 years I would have been very happy as a long time fan. With that said in looking back now I am happy that we won last year, however, feel that we could have and should have won all 3 that we were in. Both XL and this one were crushing defeats for different reasons. In XL I truly believe that we were a much better team than the Stealers. In this one we were more evenly matched but without rehashing the last week, feel that we gave it away. Again I feel fortunate to have won one but can't shake the feeling of what could and should have been. Thoughts?

Welcome to the club. Listen to Brady when asked and he'll say "these games are hard to win".

Getting there is very hard, the game itself is often very hard, and to have a late lead and lose is not fun. It's all or nothing, there's not much glory in being runner-up, especially when you're an established power with a big haters club out there.

Obviously it's better to make the game than not, but being good raises expectations, and then the losses are even more crushing. That's been our experience.

Rex

Reaction score
Cheaters bragging about winning. Sad.

Rex

Reaction score
Cheaters bragging about winning. Sad.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'm sure New England fans are saying the same thing about the two rings they lost to the "helmet catch" and Welker's drop. SF got bounced twice on "fade to Crabtree." STL lost their dynasty claim to a team (NE) that might've videotaped their practices. Fans in Green Bay don't even think we should've been there (and they might be right!).

It's football. Almost every single game turns on a play or two. If we had won, NE would be saying they should've won if not for the juggle catch (that catch alone is the reason we went up in total yards). We got some damn lucky bounces to even get to the game and be in position for that last play.

torontoseahawk

Reaction score
ughh I just want to stop thinking about this super bowl and just focus on the future. Every time I read/think about it, it just gets my stomach feeling uncomfortable.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
XL was a s--- show. Sorry. Regardless of the refs I still don't think we were good enough in that game. I have come to grips with it.

This one is hard simply because we were better and the win was right there.

Either way, to the OPs point, If defining success is only measured in Super Bowl wins fan bases will destroy themselves. We have had a marvelous 3 year run. We are young. We have a potential super star QB and iconic players at other positions. The fan base has really gripped onto the organization (this time) and I think tradition more than legacy is what's being built.

Exciting times for all.

PackerNation

Reaction score
Uncle Si":pcn27sm2 said:
XL was a s--- show. Sorry. Regardless of the refs I still don't think we were good enough in that game. I have come to grips with it.

Either way, to the OPs point, If defining success is only measured in Super Bowl wins fan bases will destroy themselves. We have had a marvelous 3 year run. We are young. We have a potential super star QB and iconic players at other positions. The fan base has really gripped onto the organization (this time) and I think tradition more than legacy is what's being built.

Exciting times for all.

You were not better than they were. You were only down in scoring position because of completely fluky catch. The win was there, but you could not capitalize. In the end, they were the better team because they made the one play you could not.

It's not like you dominated the game and they made an irrational and amazing comeback. They were never out of it.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
PackerNation":345mn4mp said:
Uncle Si":345mn4mp said:

Exciting times for all.

You were not better than they were. You were only down in scoring position because of completely fluky catch. The win was there, but you could not capitalize. In the end, they were the better team because they made the one play you could not.

It's not like you dominated the game and they made an irrational and amazing comeback. They were never out of it.

Yeah, that's accurate, honestly. It might have seemed bleak for them at points, but they stuck with their plan and made things happen.

We've all seen teams come back from 10+ down in the 4th quarter, even against great competition, so this result isn't shocking or anything. :mrgreen:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2h4r7s1j said:

On paper and healthy, yes we're the better team.

But the two teams that showed up on SB Sunday, injuries and all? Very even because NE was as healthy as it gets, and we found out the hard way the battle of attrition is half the battle in the playoffs. Depth and health is what helped us dominate in the 2013 playoffs and SB, and depth and health is what doomed us in 2014.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
PackerNation":h62410bn said:
Uncle Si":h62410bn said:

Exciting times for all.

We were better than them. We did not capitalize on the position that our "betterness" (albeit slight) brought us. The fluky catch thing has little bearing. Had Kearse not caught the ball it was 2nd and 10 from the 39 with nearly 90 seconds and 2 timeouts to go. I am very confident in saying that we would have been in a position to win this game at some point. Certainly not as idea as 2nd and goal from 3 feet.

So you can debate the merits all you want, and I will the same. "Better" is subjective so you must excuse me if I continue feeling my logic as a Seahawks fan trumps yours.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
volsunghawk":31flrm8y said:
PackerNation":31flrm8y said:
Uncle Si":31flrm8y said:

Exciting times for all.

Yeah, that's accurate, honestly. It might have seemed bleak for them at points, but they stuck with their plan and made things happen.

We've all seen teams come back from 10+ down in the 4th quarter, even against great competition, so this result isn't shocking or anything. :mrgreen:

Never happened in a Super Bowl before.

I will remain saying we were better that Sunday. Not by a lot, barely measurable. But good enough to have the game in the palm of our hands and 3 fingers into a fist.

The real point here, not to be sidetracked by our adventurous Packer fan, as I never felt we were better against the Steelers. They made plays and we constantly shot ourselves in the foot (or refs, whatever, its not 2007 anymore).

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2zbujyqj said:
volsunghawk":2zbujyqj said:
PackerNation":2zbujyqj said:
Uncle Si":2zbujyqj said:

Exciting times for all.

Never happened in a Super Bowl before.

I will remain saying we were better that Sunday. Not by a lot, barely measurable. But good enough to have the game in the palm of our hands and 3 fingers into a fist.

The real point here, not to be sidetracked by our adventurous Packer fan, as I never felt we were better against the Steelers. They made plays and we constantly shot ourselves in the foot (or refs, whatever, its not 2007 anymore).

Hey, leave my post alone. I was tweaking the Packers fan and you ruined it. :mrgreen:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Ahh... I blew it! I didn't even pick up on that.

He's really struggling with his NFC loss. I wonder what step of the grieving process "troll opponents board" is?

irocdave

Reaction score
It's weird, but I got over this SB loss much quicker then the last. I'm not over the last one actually as I feel that their was an influence that was immediately felt by the Hawks that they couldn't control and it wasn't their performance during the game. That's what I came away with after watching that craptastic NFL officiating influenced debacle. I started out minimizing the soon to be obvious biasedness in officiating. At the end of the game I wanted to kill the NFL and any Stealer fan that spouted off about having a superior team. Yes the Hawks coaching staff choked with clock management, Stevens dropped several balls he should have caught but to this day I believe the Hawks realized the fix was in and their was nothing they were going to do about it and panicked. They tried to over compensate which every experienced SB player says not to do. Hawks got screwed out of a fair game from the initial snap. Who knows who would have won with out the BS officiating, but looking at the Rapists stat line it seems pretty clear who dominated that game. Any else remember Totupu knocking the stuffing out of a guy early in the 1st QTR? I don't know the guys name because I refuse to watch that game to this day.

This last loss, that's easier to get over. Better team, beat up LOB and coaches that got cute at the end. The loss is on the players and coaches involved on the interception, not the officiating. This was a game the Hawks coaches and players clearly lost.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
SPIRITOF12":2yzwp550 said:
We have gone to the Super Bowl 3 times in 10 years. Read recently that the average NFL team makes it once every 16 years, winning it every 39. I'm not going to wallow in pity because we won 1 out of 3. I'm grateful for what this team has accomplished - and for what it did to the fan base. I only see greater things ahead.
Good point, also interesting to note that in the last 10 years we have the same record in super bowls as the Patriots and Peyton Manning all are 1-2 in super bowls since 2005, the only 1 better is the Steelers who are 2-1 over that period.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1fikqt5t said:
Even winning 1 out of 3, I am happy for the 1.

How would you like to be the bills fans who saw their dynasty-quality team make 4 straight Super Bowls and come out with ZERO championships from it? How much do you think they would give to have won just ONE of those games?
Worse yet iirc 3 of 4 super bowl losses were blowouts, how devastating.. I wish marv levy was able to win 1. (of course losing on the fg to the Giants was brutal)