USA Today: Michael Crabtree - torn Achillies

Status
Not open for further replies.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I hate that stupid phrase, "next man up"; the first time I ever saw it was on a Raiders forum a long time ago.

People say it like it's no big thing to lose a quality starter. It is. You just have to hope the replacement is almost as good. People saying it like it doesn't matter is naive. Thankfully, it's a rather rare phrase around here.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Too bad for the 49ers, but I'll be honest, I'm far from "disappointed" to hear this news like some Hawk fans seem to be. Who cares if the 49ers aren't at full strength when we play them. I've got news for you, we won't be either. It's just the way it is sometimes.

formido

Reaction score
NinerBuff":6izcf514 said:
Scottemojo":6izcf514 said:
Kaepernick threw 9 touchdowns last year. 8 were to Crabs.

Season:
10 TDs (5 Crabtree, 1 Davis, 2 Walker, 1 Gore, 1 Moss)
5 rushing TDs

Post-season:
4 TDs (3 Crabtree, 1 Davis)
3 rushing TDs

"49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick threw eight touchdown passes with one interception last season when targeting Crabtree. He had one touchdown pass with four picks when targeting other wide receivers. Those figures count playoffs. Kaepernick targeted Crabtree on 39.6 percent of the receiver's pass routes from Weeks 11-17, the second-highest figure in the NFL over that span (Brandon Marshall, 44.2). Counting playoffs, Kaepernick targeted Crabtree more than three times as frequently as he targeted any other 49ers player on third down and in the red zone."

[http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/100513/go-to-guy-michael-crabtree-by-the-numbers]

NinerLifer

Reaction score
If Kyle Williams comes back and starts playing like he was before he got injured last year then things might work out. He has already been medically cleared to play if I recall correctly, and was showing that he had great chemistry with Kaep immediately starting with the bears game. And Manningham is still a question mark, but you never know he might be ready to go early season.

Still hopefull, but it was injuries to our receiving core last year late in the season that caused opposing defenses to perform better against us, and to see an injury already take out our #1 is upsetting. Hopefully Boldin, Kyle Williams, Vernon, Jenkins and Manningham (if recovered) can make up for his absence. Davis might be the x-factor in all this as his numbers severely dropped once Kaep and Crabs started connecting in a way that Alex couldn't.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
NinerLifer":2q4lgeay said:
Ya maybe, but unless AJ Jenkins explodes onto the scene this season, I am just being realistic with my expectations.

I don't think it has to be like that. The season hasn't even started yet. The Niners are a pretty damn good football team and Crabtree is part of it. As long as that OLine is there, with V Davis, Gore and Boldin, they will be in the mix at the end.

CKaep will need to spread it around more, for sure, but he seemed to look for Davis more at the end of the season and the playoffs. That is one thing about having a feature guy, but Boldin should be able to pick up some of that load and they are certain to grab another guy that can play. Bummer man, but the Niners are still in it.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Bummer for them and their fans, and really all fans as we all pay for and want to see the best talent on the field every Sunday.

That being said:
I don't like Crabtree... I don't like Gore... I don't Krapernutz... I don't like Justin Smith... I don't like Vernon Davis... I don't like Aldon Smith... I don't like Patrick Willis... I don't like Jim Hairball... I don't like any of them...

That also being said:
I want to hate the 49ers at full strength when we play them twice this year... and maybe hate them even more when we have to play them a 3rd time...

HawkWow

Reaction score
Wow. I feel terrible for Crabtree. Not so much for the Niners. Just the other day one of their D-linemen was spouting off about the Irvin suspension...almost gloating over it (Can't bring in his name).

That aside, I don't want to hear any whining / excuses from SF. Their WR situation was slightly above avg, at best, but with 11 picks in the 2013 draft...they took 1. They took 1 WR knowing that Jenkins is possibly a bust, Manningham isn't going to scare anyone and they still really don't have a return man on the team. It's nice they got McDonald in the 2nd, but that pick should /could have probably been used on one of the several good WRs still on the board. Boldin? You kidding me? I love this guy and always have, but he is a complementary receiver at best. He gets no seperation and runs like a blocking TE.

I can't help but LOL recalling the critque we got from the Niner fans over what we gave up for Harvin. IF they were the premier org that we keep hearing they are, they might have busted a move on Dwayne Bowe during the Smith trade. They didn't. I don't wanna hear any excuses.

Again I am very sorry for this injury to the one time diva Crabtree. He looked like he was finally coming into his own and I hope for his speedy (OK, eventual) recovery.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3kt46x7d said:
I hate that stupid phrase, "next man up"; the first time I ever saw it was on a Raiders forum a long time ago.

People say it like it's no big thing to lose a quality starter. It is. You just have to hope the replacement is almost as good. People saying it like it doesn't matter is naive. Thankfully, it's a rather rare phrase around here.

Next poster up.

Whenever i hear about these achillie tears i always think of Fred Gwynne in Pet Cemetary in his jammies on his hands and knees looking under the bed when some little kid slices his achillies with a knife.

Brrr :pukeface:

Edit to add. Anyone heading back to the main forum? If so, can I hitch a ride? Started out there and ended up here somehow.

xtm059

Reaction score
Dont really understand the 'i want to play the niners at full strength' argument. chances are the hawks wont have lynch for week 2 anyhow.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Hope he recovers completely. Hate to see anyone suffer an injury like that.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
xtm059":pyb1wfv1 said:
Dont really understand the 'i want to play the niners at full strength' argument. chances are the hawks wont have lynch for week 2 anyhow.
Or Irvin or Clemons

bellingerga

Reaction score
xtm059":3t22ri7k said:

Some of us believe we have a team that isn't full of losers. Hoping another team is missing key players is like admitting you're just not good enough to compete with them.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
While I feel bad for Crabtree as a person having to go through this kind of injury and hope he fully recovers in time, I can't help but smile at the 49ers misfortune. :mrgreen: :49ersmall:

BobinLaConner

Reaction score
Niner Fans, the NFC West has become a tough place to play and we like talking some smack with you guys when it comes to our two teams, but we know it feels crappy to lose one of your best players in a way like that. When Clemons went down in the playoffs last year on that crappy Redskin field...I was fuming, so I can relate. My guess is you will bring in another decent wr for the season and it won't affect you as much as you think. Crabtree will recover, but I hate to see any player go down from a serious injury. Whatever players we each do have on the field, still looking forward to a hard-hitting, hell of a game against you guys.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
bellingerga":hksklf8t said:
xtm059":hksklf8t said:

Some of us believe we have a team that isn't full of losers. Hoping another team is missing key players is like admitting you're just not good enough to compete with them.
Should we be hoping other teams' draft picks develop into their full potential as well?

HawksSoc

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":z3iznuug said:

Agreed, hadn't seen someone on the forums before who thought this, thought I was just angry :p Its a ridiculous phrase, players are starters for a reason; they're better then the players on the bench.

Also sucks to hear about Crabtree's injury, hopefully he'll heal up fully and without complications. He's a good player, wanted him in my fantasy draft for next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.