US WMNT Soccer

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I dont think I've ever seen a country wanting their own team to lose like this one. Well you got your wish..they are out! Worst performance in many years of dominating. Other countries are catching up and want to win more I guess.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
It's fitting that Megan Rapinoe misses the PK that would have won it. Then, she smiles after missing it.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
It's fitting that Megan Rapinoe misses the PK that would have won it. Then, she smiles after missing it.
Exactly the reason why I don't care or watch any of it anymore

bileever

Reaction score
I don't get the hate. They played well today, but as Andonovski said, sometimes soccer can be cruel. They also played a very good team in Sweden.

The US team has won 4 world cups, but it's not like you can count on winning every time in competition like this.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I don't get the hate. They played well today, but as Andonovski said, sometimes soccer can be cruel. They also played a very good team in Sweden.

The US team has won 4 world cups, but it's not like you can count on winning every time in competition like this.
How many star athletes, so called the best player on team, laugh after failing to convert a goal to propel their team to a win? It's not like she barely missed the goal either. What she did was equal to basically shoot an air ball on a free throw. Then had the gall to laugh about it. That's what I'm pissed about. Not necessarily the missed goal. That stuff happens.

OP
OP
Cyrus12

Cyrus12

Reaction score
How many star athletes, so called the best player on team, laugh after failing to convert a goal to propel their team to a win? It's not like she barely missed the goal either. What she did was equal to basically shoot an air ball on a free throw. Then had the gall to laugh about it. That's what I'm pissed about. Not necessarily the missed goal. That stuff happens.
Some literally collapse and cry like they died...she laughed it off..oh well she probably thought onto the next cause to put money in my pocket.

knownone

Reaction score
Not a fan of Rapinoe, but judging someone by their immediate reaction in a stressful situation is harsh. It's common for people to laugh when they are nervous or something doesn't break their way. Steph Curry does this all the time.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
She's the poster child for all that was wrong with that team her attitude was disgusting as was most of the team. Maybe once old generation is completely gone we may have a chance to overhaul everything and refocus time will tell.

NoGain

Reaction score
I don't know much of anything at all about women's soccer, but I know enough to know that they badly underperformed. Yeah, I get that the rest of the world is starting to catch up, but they were still heavy favorites to win it again by the great majority of experts. They barely escaped the group stage, setting up for tougher knock out round opponent that they promptly lost to.

There will be a lot of blame and second guessing to go around, but the coaching has to be at the top of the list. They just weren't ready for the tournament. That seems pretty clear.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Nah. I watched the highlights, and the game in regular time was so lopsided in favour of the U.S.

But the Swedish goalie stood on her head and clutch saved on every shot.

Going to penalty kicks is a crap shoot and the U.S. were slightly more terrible than the Swedish women.

Mix

Reaction score
If I had no love for my Nation, I would also miss the game winner on purpose and then laugh.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

The hate comes from the fake outragers taking this opportunity to criticize those players who dared have public opinions about social issues, and equal pay.

As I've said in other threads, freedom of speech comes with consequences. But I HIGHLY doubt any of the players on the team give a rat's ass what a bunch of virtue signalers say who don't even care or watch women's soccer, but decided this was a good time to do some gaslighting.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
She's the poster child for all that was wrong with that team her attitude was disgusting as was most of the team. Maybe once old generation is completely gone we may have a chance to overhaul everything and refocus time will tell.

This had nothing to do with focus, this was one of the youngest women's USNT rosters in a long time, and the days of the women's team wiping the floor with other nations because they're so far ahead skill wise are long gone.

There are a LOT of really good countries now.

Lagartixa

Reaction score

The USWNT won four in the eight-tournament history of the event and had won the last two in a row. As of now, half the women's World Cups have ended with the USWNT taking the trophy. That's just crazy. That's noticeably stronger than the dominance Brazil's men's team had when Pelé was young, winning in '58 and '62, and then putting together the greatest soccer team the world has ever seen in '70.

As I've said for decades, soccer is the cruelest sport. I think it's because the scores are typically so low, with the most common scores in games being 1-0, 2-1, 1-1, and 0-0 (where I've put together, for example, the home team winning 1-0 and the visiting team winning 0-1 as "1-0"). With such low scoring, one crazy bounce or one player having an unexpectedly great or terrible day can completely change the outcome. This happens a lot less in, for example, basketball, where typical NBA scores nowadays look like 116-113.

There was a time (mid-aughts) when my favorite soccer player to watch was a woman - Brazil's Marta. In every game I saw her play, she did "this-kind-of-thing-only-happens-in-video-games" stuff. She was quite clearly the best female player in the world for a good decade, but that translated into zero World Cups for the Brazilian women's team, in part because the USWNT was so strong. An international group of guys with whom I discussed a lot of soccer via reply-to-all e-mails from the late '90s until 2014 had a bunch of people who liked (ugh) French soccer and felt obligated to put down Brazilian soccer at every opportunity. But even in that group, most agreed when one guy said he was sad about Brazil not winning an Olympic gold medal (2004, I think) because Marta deserved to have a gold medal. My reply was simply "it's too bad Cristiane didn't, or they'd both have one."

By the way, idiots cheering for their national women's team to lose is not limited to the USA. Brazilian idiots did quite a bit of that last week too. Of course, for stupid political reasons, a lot of those same idiots were also cheering against the men's team in the men's World Cup last year too.

Latest posts