US Mens Soccer

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DonovanJM":20nso3fb said:
I figure I probably know enough to know what's going on on the field but not quite enough to see the intricacies. The game inside the game. I generally don't see if a team changes shapes or philosophies during a game. That sort of stuff.

Well you were pretty spot on.. Germany is one of the more difficult teams to play against in the world, and often dictate what they want in a game regardless of how the opponent sets up. that can be frustrating to watch.

The US needed to change, has done so, and now (unbelievably) have a lead against the World Cup champs in Germany!

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2f269bq0 said:
Smurf":2f269bq0 said:
OMG WE JUST BEAT GERMANY IN GERMANY.

AND THE DUTCH IN HOLLAND!!

I seem to remember a few years ago you mentioning how the US team wouldn't progress until we started playing friendlies overseas against top teams instead of mediocre teams at home....

This certainly seems to fit the bill, yes?

Smurf

Reaction score
Jordan Morris has some tremendous positioning and awareness. That dummy on Wood's goal was brilliant. His first touch on the ball was an outside of the boot curler with his right foot....inches wide....good god...the kid has talent.

Seabhac

Reaction score
Smurf":9xfxvs2f said:
Jordan Morris has some tremendous positioning and awareness. That dummy on Wood's goal was brilliant. His first touch on the ball was an outside of the boot curler with his right foot....inches wide....good god...the kid has talent.

Lets hope the Sounders get him for at least one season!

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":h0tnsn8y said:
DonovanJM":h0tnsn8y said:
After one half against Germany and I can't help but being reminded of when my kids were younger and they would scrimmage teams a few years older. Back then it was expected because the other kids were older and had more coaching and experience. Despite the score it's a bit frustrating. IIjust get the feeling that the Germans are going to get serious in the second have and take it to us even more.

Its been an entertaining match, no?

Possession isn't goals..While it can be frustrating to watch sometimes. But Germany wants control of the ball. its how they play. the US has always been set up to break up possession and counter, its how they play. (the buildup to their goal also included 30 passes... 30!)

The game is level at half. hard to say which team's plan is working.

Also, Gold Cup roster is out: No Cropper, Geoff Cameron, Jermaine Jones, Danny Williams, Julian Green, Miguel Ibarra or Bobby Wood.
http://seahawks.net/posting.php?mode=quote&f=5&p=1642615

The handling of Ibarra is an issue for me. He's been pulled from his MN FC NASL team alot over the last few months. he's barely given an opportunity, missed several games for this club (including loan opportunities) and now has been left off a 35 man roster.

Why even bother with him?

Julian Green was left out to focus on his club team. Kid has issues. Won't play for Bayern...has to move....has to. He needs playing time...and while the Gold Cup could yield that for him, the USA needs to win the Gold Cup. Which Jurgen has said is the #1 objective of this calendar year.

Geoff Cameron has been left out due to an issue with Stoke. Not fully sure what the situation is, but I've heard that Stoke have asked him not to participate.

Jones was left out due to a nagging injury. I don't think he'll be in the Nat's picture much longer, TBH.

No idea why Cropper was left out,I guess Klinnsman rates Hamid and Yarbrough higher at the moment.

Ibarra is a weird situation for sure....as is the inclusion of DeMarcus Beasley...

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":3lti7ohq said:
Uncle Si":3lti7ohq said:
Smurf":3lti7ohq said:
OMG WE JUST BEAT GERMANY IN GERMANY.

AND THE DUTCH IN HOLLAND!!

I seem to remember a few years ago you mentioning how the US team wouldn't progress until we started playing friendlies overseas against top teams instead of mediocre teams at home....

This certainly seems to fit the bill, yes?

Iron sharpens iron, right?

Amazing (not to get ahead of myself) how things have changed for the US so quickly.

They have massively re-organized their youth set up (under Reyna) and allowed Klinsmann to use competition to mold his players mindsets.

I believe this is just the start, and by 2022 the US will be considered one of the perennial top 10 soccer nations in the world. While smaller nations (including the Columbia, Portugal, even Spain) rely on "generations" I think the US is finally setting a foundation for proper player identification and development...

If they have, and it remains consistent, it can be a factory line of highly skilled players, much like Germany

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":p5bbae50 said:
Ibarra just transferred to Leon in mexico

Loan or full transfer?

Weird move for him. Ideal MLS loan player until MN goes up

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Honestly that's a bit disappointing...

Leon (had to look it up) are near the bottom of the Mexican league. And it sounds by the article many MLS teams were in for him, but MN United (I personally know the people who handle the finances, contracts there. its shocking.. ) was maybe overvaluing him?

"According to various reports since Ibarra broke into the U.S. squad as a semi-regular contributor, a number of Major League Soccer teams have inquired about the availability and/or cost of signing Ibarra themselves, but with Minnesota’s asking price reported to be in the neighborhood of $1 million, MLS teams have balked at the prospect of signing the pacy, creative winger."

Would have been nice to see Ibarra get a chance on an MLS side and see what he could do.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1ky7yqrh said:

Leon (had to look it up) are near the bottom of the Mexican league. And it sounds by the article many MLS teams were in for him, but MN United (I personally know the people who handle the finances, contracts there. its shocking.. ) was maybe overvaluing him?

"According to various reports since Ibarra broke into the U.S. squad as a semi-regular contributor, a number of Major League Soccer teams have inquired about the availability and/or cost of signing Ibarra themselves, but with Minnesota’s asking price reported to be in the neighborhood of $1 million, MLS teams have balked at the prospect of signing the pacy, creative winger."

Would have been nice to see Ibarra get a chance on an MLS side and see what he could do.

A transfer fee of $1 Million or more would mean he would be a DP, as Transfer fee's are incorporated into the players wages.

I can see why MLS clubs would decline given their roster rules.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":2vej485d said:
Uncle Si":2vej485d said:

A transfer fee of $1 Million or more would mean he would be a DP, as Transfer fee's are incorporated into the players wages.

I can see why MLS clubs would decline given their roster rules.

Its disappointing MN United didn't see the bigger picture.

I will always advocate players find the biggest competitive environment to develop in. In this instance, I feel Ibarra was sent to a team/league not much further along than the MLS at the expense of losing a USMNT pool player to a foreign country.

At 25, it would have been fun to watch him in the MLS

As I said, I know who handles these issues for the club personally. They are not people I'd ask to make change for a $5 bill.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Uncle Si":fbeczldj said:

I will always advocate players find the biggest competitive environment to develop in. In this instance, I feel Ibarra was sent to a team/league not much further along than the MLS at the expense of losing a USMNT pool player to a foreign country.

I wonder if part of it was MNU not wanting to see him on the opposing squad when they join MLS in a couple years, so they sold him to a different league.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2w1hutl4 said:
Uncle Si":2w1hutl4 said:

I wonder if part of it was MNU not wanting to see him on the opposing squad when they join MLS in a couple years, so they sold him to a different league.

Valid point... then why not just loan him out?

They wanted the fee, I imagine. They will have to take on some wages in the near future to start bringing in talent beyond their current NASL squad.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smurf":j881fhrw said:
They must have wanted the fee. Only reason I can see is that.....

Isn't it always about the money?

$1,000,000 is a lot for a MLS club, let along a NASL club looking to join the MLS needing cash.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":3tsp6dje said:
They must have wanted the fee. Only reason I can see is that.....

They are a very good NASL team. Probably the top, really over the last 6-8 years. Always at or near the top, have a couple championships, etc.

They are well disciplined and play a nice brand of possession soccer. However, I don't think they have the talent to score goals at the next level. If they are selling Ibarra, they must have some players in mind to bring in and help fill that need.

Or... they need the money to finance the stadium they have yet to agree terms to begin construction on.

The other issue here is what youth club they will adopt, if they adopt one at all. Their are hundreds of thousands of dollars to be made in that.

Noone really yet knows the plan moving forward. They are backed by the owners of the Wolves and Twins. They may not "need" money for the bigger projects, but may still be operating on their own budget for team operations.

Latest posts