US Mens Soccer

knownone

Reaction score
Lost in all the Morris hype is how good of a game Alvarado had, he was lights out.

Morris's style reminds me a lot of Goran Pandev. Obviously Morris has a ways to go before being in that territory, but I think that is a reasonable ceiling for him.

DonovanJM

Reaction score
Not really soccer specific but am I the only one who can't stand listening to Alexi Lalas? He sounds like an arrogant D-bag to me.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
DonovanJM":1pvxz0a2 said:
Not really soccer specific but am I the only one who can't stand listening to Alexi Lalas? He sounds like an arrogant D-bag to me.
He does at times, but he's also not afraid to talk bluntly about the deficiencies in the USA game.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DonovanJM":blfzwnff said:

He's an ass.

And while I agree with Seatown that the US needs to have a spokesperson willing to call out its inadequacies, Lalas is both ignorant and remarkably stubborn at the same time. Add his growing hypocrisy towards Klinsmann and it makes him unwatchable. It's one thing to discuss flaws, its another thing to be contrarian for the sake of sounding knowledgeable. On top of that, he rains criticism on Klinsmann for addressing the same issues he has with the Men's team. He just wants attention, and makes soccer in the nation look stupid when he is on the air.

Smurf, first time I've seen Jordan Morris. I like him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Not the most attractive match, what with the terrible field conditions and a lot of 2nd and 3rd tier players playing.................but holy moly did I enjoy seeing so much youth, effort, pace and tenacity out of our younger players.

Not to mention whatever the loan price for Morris was before the match, you can add a zero or two for the Sounders coffers.

RApollos

Reaction score
I think we're all missing the biggest thing here, the US went the final 15 minutes of a match without conceding.

RApollos

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2vmyphby said:
Not to mention whatever the loan price for Morris was before the match, you can add a zero or two for the Sounders coffers.

There is no transfer fee or loan fee for Morris, he's still a sophmore at Stanford University.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RApollos":3eiyq8rd said:
Sgt. Largent":3eiyq8rd said:

There is no transfer fee or loan fee for Morris, he's still a sophmore at Stanford University.

I meant after he graduates and goes pro. Morris is certainly not a fully formed player yet, but with his pace he's going to get a LOT of attention over the next couple of years.

I hope he stays with the Sounders, but he's a hell of a horse to have in our stable if he does go overseas.

Smurf

Reaction score
Morris reminds me of a really young wayne rooney. Always seems to have another gear he can go too, can hold up the ball, finds himself in some good places.

Obviously he won't reach the levels of Rooney, but I think its a pretty close comparison.

I really hope he signs for the Sounders and continues to develop with the sounders and S2 instead of immediately chasing Europe.

knownone

Reaction score
Watching the U20s has got me really excited about the future of the NATs. Gedion Zelalem damn near looks ready for a senior call up, Emerson Hyndman and Cameron Vickers are as polished at this level as I've seen for the US. Throw in Jordan Morris and we may be on the verge of a golden generation of sorts.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
knownone":d7dkoc8i said:
Watching the U20s has got me really excited about the future of the NATs. Gedion Zelalem damn near looks ready for a senior call up, Emerson Hyndman and Cameron Vickers are as polished at this level as I've seen for the US. Throw in Jordan Morris and we may be on the verge of a golden generation of sorts.

Three of the players with the brightest futures didnt even play:

Erick Palmer-Brown (Sporting, possibly to Roma)
Cody Cropper (Southampton, U23 Captain)
Mukwele Akwele (Villareal, U18)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Quite an exciting few minutes of soccer for Yedlin and Jordan Morris there... speed kills at any level

So what's the deal with Morris? Is he still property of the Sounders or does he go into the SuperDraft?

Seabhac

Reaction score
USMT Vs Holland - Very impressive
3-1 Down Won 4-3

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3gxoe62j said:
Quite an exciting few minutes of soccer for Yedlin and Jordan Morris there... speed kills at any level

So what's the deal with Morris? Is he still property of the Sounders or does he go into the SuperDraft?

He's returning to Stanford.

Sounders are trying like crazy to get him signed to a Homegrown player contract.

He doesn't seem to be in a rush to go pro.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":38taywq6 said:
knownone":38taywq6 said:

Palmer-Brown played last night. From what I saw of the game (I passed out at some point), he was decent. Got caught out a bunch.

Seabhac

Reaction score
Morris says he will sign his first pro contract with the Sounders - we'll see.
He was a youth player at Eastside FC and Sounders Youth program.

Smurf

Reaction score
Seabhac":3czbynh0 said:
Morris says he will sign his first pro contract with the Sounders - we'll see.
He was a youth player at Eastside FC and Sounders Youth program.

Yeah....he says that....but I worry that Europe may come calling and he can't resist....

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":3fcwvqo9 said:
Uncle Si":3fcwvqo9 said:
knownone":3fcwvqo9 said:

Palmer-Brown played last night. From what I saw of the game (I passed out at some point), he was decent. Got caught out a bunch.

As a college kid, doesn't he have to go back through the draft? Interesting path he is taking.. as for Europe.. well, his former Sounder and current USMNT teammate may have some advice for him

Palmer-Brown is 18, by the way.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
So the United States just beat Netherlands for the first time, in Amsterdam. A 4-3 come from behind win.