UPDATE: Seahawks traded for Percy Harvin

Status
Not open for further replies.

the ditch

Reaction score
I'm extremely excited about this trade, why is football so far away, this team is going places. I know there are concerns about the migraines but migraines are a funny thing perhaps a change of location/diet/scenery/attitude *may* help. One thing for sure, this is going to be a contending team next season.

chihawk

Reaction score
For those of you that would have liked to see the Seahawks draft a WR in the first round instead of trading AND paying for Harvin, please consider the past history of drafting WRs in the first round (and particularly late in the first round).

While 2009 had Harvin, Nicks, and Britt go late 1st round (all good players), 2007 had Robert Meachem, Craig Davis and Anthony Gonzalez (ouch). 2009 also had Heyward-Bey (7th) and 2007 had Ted Ginn (9th) drafted high. Drafting a WR in the first round is a crap-shoot.

If you look back at WRs drafted in the 1st round between 2000 and 2011 (too early to look at last years players), I would probably say that out of the 48 WRs drafted 18 of those were good picks. A couple of picks may be borderline picks, but there is a very large number of complete busts in there.

Pick Name Team
5 Justin Blackmon Jaguars
13 Michael Floyd Cardinals
20 Kendall Wright Titans
30 A.J. Jenkins 49ers

4 A.J. Green Bengals
6 Julio Jones Falcons
26 Jon Baldwin Chiefs

22 Demaryius Thomas Broncos
24 Dez Bryant Cowboys

7 Darrius Heyward-Bey Raiders
10 Michael Crabtree 49ers
19 Jeremy Maclin Eagles
22 Percy Harvin Vikings
29 Hakeem Nicks Giants
30 Kenny Britt Titans

2 Calvin Johnson Lions
9 Ted Ginn Dolphins
23 Dwayne Bowe Chiefs
27 Robert Meachem Saints
30 Craig Davis Chargers
32 Anthony Gonzalez Colts

25 Santonio Holmes Steelers

3 Braylon Edwards Browns
7 Troy Williamson Vikings
10 Mike Williams Lions
21 Matt Jones Jaguars
22 Mark Clayton Ravens
27 Roddy White Falcons

3 Larry Fitzgerald Cardinals
7 Roy Williams Lions
9 Reggie Williams Jaguars
13 Lee Evans Bills
15 Michael Clayton Buccaneers
29 Michael Jenkins Falcons
31 Rashaun Woods 49ers

2 Charles Rogers Lions
3 Andre Johnson Texans
17 Bryant Johnson Cardinals

13 Donte' Stallworth Saints
19 Ashley Lelie Broncos
20 Javon Walker Packers

8 David Terrell Bears
9 Koren Robinson Seahawks
15 Rod Gardner Redskins
16 Santana Moss Jets
25 Freddie Mitchell Eagles
30 Reggie Wayne Colts

4 Peter Warrick Bengals
8 Plaxico Burress Steelers
10 Travis Taylor Ravens
21 Sylvester Morris Chiefs
29 R. Jay Soward Jaguars

Largent80

Reaction score
xCalibur":do3i05oz said:
Yea, but if i recall Largent never cried abouot migraines and missed 20% of this games. I am not saying this is a bad move, i am saying i am worried. This kid is not the end of all wr's like some of yoou seem to think. Hell, to listen to some of these posts you would think we just signed a young Jerry Rice

Yeah, I am worried about adding one of the best playmakers in the NFL. :roll:

chris98251

Reaction score
Ok here’s my take, first I was surprised we made a big move like this at first, then thinking about it this is the 4 year plan, were going for it. We wanted a playmaker and got one, no where in this draft would we find a WR that would be a guarantee, here we have a proven guy that is young, 24, showed he could play all over the field and has success doing it. This draft is deep but not flashy, nobody at 25 is going to be that much better then a player at 48. The 7th pick is a bonus pick we got in a trade for Jackson is not such a loss really for us but a good compensation for The Vikings who need picks, the 4th next year, we could get another pick there possibly anyway the way Schneider works, besides with our depth it will be harder and harder for players to make this team going forward.

WR in the draft is a crap shoot, they are typically so much better in college physically with speed etc that they don’t have to deal with the separation issues that pro WR’s do in getting open, Harvin is proven here. Drafted WR’s like Koren Robinson had all the skills but could not take on the mental aspect of the game or like Tate is still trying to learn how to be a WR. Again a win for the Seahawks.

His attitude fits right in here; chip on his shoulder isn’t all that different then Washington, Baldwin, Lynch, Rice, or our DB’s. Rice was his mentor at the Vikings and I suppose will be once again here, Bevell knows him and how to use him, the compete mantra here fits right in with his mentality, everyone works and contributes and you earn your stripes. Even our more outspoken players buy into that and live by it.

Injuries are not an issue as far as I am thinking either, my biggest concern were the migraines, they appear to have that controlled now, his physical injuries should be helped by him getting less touches, we have more weapons and teams can’t key on him and cheat, this will make the touches he gets that much more explosive since teams can’t cheat on him since we will have Miller, Rice, Lynch, Tate, Baldwin all lining up on the field as well. He won’t be the only guy teams have to worry about.

As far as guys getting cut, Washington is a value still, he may be our return guy now, you keep Harvin from taking punishment until it’s a big game and then you can really mess with an oppositions coverage by scheming to have him and Washington back there, teams will have to watch reverses, and lanes and that leaves gaps for Washington and Harvin to exploit.

Baldwin and Tate are still good players and are needed, they don’t cost anything really and provide quality options for three and 4 wide sets if we use them, Obomanu is most likely the odd man out due to his veteran salary and lack of chances to make an impact on offense.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
I frickin love the deal. The future is now. We'll cross the cap bridge when we come to it. SF is upgrading and they are already young, and last year were better than we were. We have no time to be complacent, no time to develop positions we need now.

The very reason we did this was because of the cap, because we wont be able to keep these kids forever. Our time is now...2013 and 2014. Yeah, this deal may force us to lose a guy or two to FA, or to trade away a guy or two next couple of years...the bottom line is that we were one RZ conversion away from beating ATL last year...one more first down...and Percy Harvin is a flat out stud. I love him.

The future is NOW, our time is NOW. This trade is fantastic.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
the ditch":3vnv8xc5 said:
I'm extremely excited about this trade, why is football so far away, this team is going places. I know there are concerns about the migraines but migraines are a funny thing perhaps a change of location/diet/scenery/attitude *may* help. One thing for sure, this is going to be a contending team next season.

I don't think he's had one in 2 years.... I thought they figured this out? Pinpointed the cause and had a treatment plan that is working.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Best thing I could have possibly read sitting at a fire at my campsite.....all hail sprint signal strength! This move is fantastic !

MLOhawks

Reaction score
Interesting, at least Harvin is a proven threat, so better than drafting a WR in the late 1st and hoping he is a Percy Harvin type impact. Cool get!

the ditch

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":384xlayk said:
the ditch":384xlayk said:

I don't think he's had one in 2 years.... I thought they figured this out? Pinpointed the cause and had a treatment plan that is working.

To be honest I'm not too sure, I know the concern is brought up whenever talking about him but he is proven NFLer, a proven difference maker I'm just excited for this I know whatever our pick was this draft wouldn't have the immediate impact this does and we're at the point where we should be going for it all.

xCalibur

Reaction score
Largent80":3iczu3pe said:
xCalibur":3iczu3pe said:
Yea, but if i recall Largent never cried abouot migraines and missed 20% of this games. I am not saying this is a bad move, i am saying i am worried. This kid is not the end of all wr's like some of yoou seem to think. Hell, to listen to some of these posts you would think we just signed a young Jerry Rice

Being the best playmaker in the NFL ddoes no one any good if your not on the field. So we will see. Hopefully his attitude gets better and he plays a full year without injury. I am not worried about this kids ability, it is his attitude and commitment to the team. The migraine thing really threw me off this kids wagon. Not one of us could call in sick to work and claim migraines. To me, it was real bad. Then last yrs injury didn't help. I am willing to give this kid a chance, but i want to see him earn the huge contract we will undoubtedly be paying him.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
xCalibur":2g34q938 said:

xCalibur":2g34q938 said:
??? Have you all forgotten that this kid missed like 5 games two yrs ago with so called migraines???...this is a bad move.

Make up your mind

OP
OP
SeahawksFanForever

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
Sidney Rice #1
Golden Tate #2
Doug Baldwin - slot guy plus depth
Percy Harvin - Special Weapon that can be used in so many different ways

Harvin is going to take reps away from Baldwin but Baldwin is still valuable to the Hawks. Tate and Baldwin both are not going anywhere. In fact, I would not be surprised if we spend another pick on a WR; someone like Mark Harrison in round 4.

themunn

Reaction score
the only part about this I like is the Bevell connection. First Sidney Rice and now Percy Harvin - clearly there's desire to play under him and that can only be a good thing.

This likely spells the end of Leon Washington

Largent80

Reaction score
xCalibur":3arx8rxr said:
Largent80":3arx8rxr said:
xCalibur":3arx8rxr said:

Being the best playmaker in the NFL ddoes no one any good if your not on the field. So we will see. Hopefully his attitude gets better and he plays a full year without injury. I am not worried about this kids ability, it is his attitude and commitment to the team. The migraine thing really threw me off this kids wagon. Not one of us could call in sick to work and claim migraines. To me, it was real bad. Then last yrs injury didn't help. I am willing to give this kid a chance, but i want to see him earn the huge contract we will undoubtedly be paying him.

Seriously, have you any understanding of P & J and the way they go about building the team?

They wouldn't touch any player that had issues they did not believe that were a problem that could not be overcame, but go ahead and be negative nancy. I'll enjoy having dude as a serious weapon that needs to be game planned for.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
People are very much mis-remembering how many games that Harvin missed before last year. Also, I am not sure that people are aware that Harvin was diagnosed with sleep apnea, which caused the migraines (I have it and it does cause wicked headaches for me when it happens), and he has been okay in that area for awhile, physically.

I'm not all for this move either, necessarily, but let's get our facts straight.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Dear NFL,

At some point next season we're going to go three wide with Percy Harvin, Golden Tate, and Sidney Rice. Lined up at tight end will be Zach Miller. Russell Wilson will be behind center, and just behind him will be Marshawn Lynch. Please pick your poison now. Good luck.

. Sincerely, the Seattle Seahawks

kidhawk

Reaction score
-The Glove-":14q347r5 said:
xCalibur":14q347r5 said:

xCalibur":14q347r5 said:
??? Have you all forgotten that this kid missed like 5 games two yrs ago with so called migraines???...this is a bad move.

Make up your mind

:hmmmm:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
xCalibur":126fh9c5 said:

Every player comes with risk in the NFL........and Harvin hasn't had a migraine issue since 2011 I think, so that issue seems to have been solved.

Btw, he wasn't "claiming migraines" like he wanted to take Monday off after a Vegas weekend. He had serious migraine issues since he was a kid, and ask anyone that suffers migraines, they ain't no joke.

We can argue all day whether Harvin was worth what we gave up for him, but you can't argue the dude's talent. He IS the most dangerous WR in the NFL right now. We've never, and I repeat never had a WR with this many tools.

Hawksfan78

Reaction score
Smart move if we can keep him for a reasonable salary. But giving up a 1st, 7th this year, and a 4th or 5th next year for a one year rental is a bit much. I wonder if they are already in contract negotiations with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.