Update: After working out 4, Seahawks to sign Brady Quinn

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":oefhbc7c said:
This is all well and good, but I hope that these workouts and the Portis signing aren't indicating that Seattle has no interest in EJ Manuel or Matt Scott. I really want one of those two guys in the draft.

Probably, it's just Schneider doing his due diligence on these guys.

No, I'd say that there is a high likelihood that one of those 4 IS going to be Wilson's back-up this year. That's not to say that Seattle isn't going to draft E.J. Manuel or Matt Scott either. I believe they are and that once Flynn was traded that finding a quarterback with a similar skillset to Wilson just shot up to #1 on the draft priority list. It's just that you really, honestly and truly don't want a rookie as your back-up for this Seahawks team this year.

In general, Rookie QB's who are drafted out of the top 10 picks of the 1st Round simply aren't ready to step in and lead an NFL team. They just aren't. Their heads are usually swimming due to the complexities of the offense they are still learning ... getting used to the speed of the NFL ... learning what to do (and what not to) in certain situations, etc. What we saw out of Russell Wilson last season speaks to just how special of a player he truly is. Guys drafted outside of the top 10 in the 1st Round (in general) just don't step in and do what Russell did. Joe Montana (drafted in the 3rd Round in 1980), Brett Favre (drafted in the 2nd Round in 1991), and even Tom Brady (drafted in the 6th Round in 2000) -- NONE of those guys started in their rookie year. Generally, rookie QB's just aren't ready until 2 or 3 years down the road.

When you're looking for a back-up QB ... I'd say that ideally you're looking for a guy who can keep the ship together and moving in the right direction in case the unthinkable happens ... and your starting QB goes down for an extended period of time (say 4 to 6 games). If I'm the Seahawks, I just don't see anyone in this year's rookie class who I can say definitively, "Yep. He can be the man" in case Wilson goes down. And I'd say that a lot of teams certainly have that opinion, as we've seen how they've been scrounging for whatever viable back-up options they can find.

Personally, I'm thinking that Manuel and Scott are the two the Hawks are targeting ... and if Scott is still there in the 3rd Round when the Hawks select that he will be the choice there (the most likely scenario IMO). I'm looking at the re-signing of Portis as competition for the 3rd QB spot for whomever the Hawks end up with in this year's draft. Just my take.

Subzero717

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1wj774mx said:
CALIHAWK1":1wj774mx said:
I would gladly take T-Jack over any of these clowns. Too bad he isn't available right now.
T-Jack wasn't even in consideration, and for a good reason.

You are blinded by unjust biased. Look at the records of those in consideration compared to T-Jack. Then ask teammates what they think.

sutz

Reaction score
Seneca Wallace was woefully mis-cast in Holmgren's more pure version of the WCO. He's actually more suited to our current offense IMHO. Mobile, strong armed, he has the physical tools. Mentally, well, that's why he'll be competing for the backup slot if he is signed.

Hey, it's not that we don't take this search seriously, it's that it's nice to actually not be worried about who starts next year.

Funny, after all those seasons with people complaining about QB threads, here we have another one, about the #2-3 slots. :laugh:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":fr2wkqjw said:
scutterhawk":fr2wkqjw said:
CALIHAWK1":fr2wkqjw said:
I would gladly take T-Jack over any of these clowns. Too bad he isn't available right now.

You are blinded by unjust biased. Look at the records of those in consideration compared to T-Jack. Then ask teammates what they think.

Unjust Biased would also be ignoring that Jackson was on two playoff caliber teams that were capable of winning games in spite of QB play. It is unfair and biased to only want to compare the win/loss record. Farve at an advanced age made pretty much the same Vikings team one of (if not the) best teams in football. Wilson as a rookie did pretty much the same. Based on that you could also ask how many games did Jackson cost the Vikings and Seahawks.

It's not just about win/loss totals unless your going to count the should haves also.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I'm not crazy about a guy that has lost his job to Jackson in both Minnesota and Buffalo.

Leinart I think is a waste but Carroll did make him look pretty good once before.

Wallace I think might be the best overall with obvious limitations but I am actually a little intrigued with the Quinn idea. He is still young enough that he could potentially be developed and with Wilson as a mentor and setting the example of what a real NFL QB looks like, if he was in our system which IMO is very QB freindly, there is a chance we could get him some respect and work him into a trade scenario. I haven't watched anough of his games to know how good or bad he really is but he has been in some pretty bad situations while trying to learn. If he is not shell shocked beyond repair I could see us maybe doing what we did with Jackson and getting some value out of him later. If they can do it with Jackson then anything is possible.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Hawkscanner":35kd95nm said:
Personally, I'm thinking that Manuel and Scott are the two the Hawks are targeting ... and if Scott is still there in the 3rd Round when the Hawks select that he will be the choice there (the most likely scenario IMO). I'm looking at the re-signing of Portis as competition for the 3rd QB spot for whomever the Hawks end up with in this year's draft. Just my take.

Good take on this whole thing. I would be inclined to agree with you except that Portis got a two-year deal. I don't know how it's structured, to be sure, but that indicates that the Seahawks have plans for him to at least some degree. If so, there is only one spot left on this team at QB. I would prefer rolling with Manuel or Scott over any of the guys listed in the subject line of this thread. Heck, Washington got Kirk Cousins coached up enough to do fine taking over for RGIII in limited duty.

Of course, this is all conjecture pending the next few weeks, but I am desperate to talk Seahawk football and so this is my theory on the freaking QB2 position. :lol:

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1kbed2cy said:
Good take on this whole thing. I would be inclined to agree with you except that Portis got a two-year deal. I don't know how it's structured, to be sure, but that indicates that the Seahawks have plans for him to at least some degree. If so, there is only one spot left on this team at QB.

A lot of camp fodder guys get two or three year deals. Doesn't mean much in the NFL where the non-guaranteed contracts are simply torn up if the player is cut. I don't think the length means anything for Portis one way or the other. He'll still have to compete for a roster spot.

Subzero717

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2gm6q8x7 said:
CALIHAWK1":2gm6q8x7 said:
scutterhawk":2gm6q8x7 said:
CALIHAWK1 said:

Unjust Biased would also be ignoring that Jackson was on two playoff caliber teams that were capable of winning games in spite of QB play. It is unfair and biased to only want to compare the win/loss record. Farve at an advanced age made pretty much the same Vikings team one of (if not the) best teams in football. Wilson as a rookie did pretty much the same. Based on that you could also ask how many games did Jackson cost the Vikings and Seahawks.

It's not just about win/loss totals unless your going to count the should haves also.

I won't take to this argument as we won't change each others opinions. Wallace, Lienart, Quinn and Thigpen are not Jacksons caliber but if you want to ignore the obvious that's on you.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":3doqps1m said:
I won't take to this argument as we won't change each others opinions. Wallace, Lienart, Quinn and Thigpen are not Jacksons caliber but if you want to ignore the obvious that's on you.

I don't really have anything against TJack, but he and Thigpen were on the same team last year and Thigpen was higher on the depth chart. That being said, I'd also probably rather have Jackson, but I just found the notion of "Jackson caliber" kind of funny. He was a third stringer last year and will likely be third string next year.

Subzero717

Reaction score
DavidSeven":11qr2nwm said:
CALIHAWK1":11qr2nwm said:

I don't really have anything against TJack, but he and Thigpen were on the same team last year and Thigpen was higher on the depth chart. That being said, I'd also probably rather have Jackson, but I just found the notion of "Jackson caliber" kind of funny. He was a third stringer last year and will likely be third string next year.

It is what it is. I didn't say Super Bowl caliber. I said Jackson caliber. Quinn, Lienart and Wallace arent that. You point out that that Thigpen was higher on t he depth chart last year yet the coach that made that decision was fired, Jackson was resigned and Thigpen was let go, so what does that really mean?

sutz

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2uervpbd said:
If so, there is only one spot left on this team at QB.
Come September, yes. Now? Not so fast. Russ, one-of-the-above FA, Portis, and draftee enter camp. Three men (maybe only two) come out with a job. You can't argue now using September-post final cutdown-logic.

Many teams go into camp with 4 QB.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I think Wallace is a definite upgrade to Jackson, He played ok when asked to fill in, pretty close to around 500 for us and that was with a far inferior team to what Jackson had last year. He's no starter but in a simple system with good weapons surrounding him and a stingy defense I think he would do decent if needed.

If you weren't around when Wallace was here you should o watch his highlights. He's got some skills just not the workaholic student of the game like Wilson.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":9co87286 said:
scutterhawk":9co87286 said:
CALIHAWK1":9co87286 said:

Oh hell no,,,, Jackson couldn't beat out Flynn last Year, and Portis has already been re-signed, +, the Seahawks are bringing in a bunch of QB's for tryouts for RW's back-up.
IF, T-Jack were all that, they'd have kept him last Year, and let Portis walk.
Just because I don't prefer Jackson over those others, doesn't mean that I don't admire his toughness, and desire to fight through adversities.
I just don't believe that he's a TD machine, and he took way too long to decide when to get rid of the ball, so long in fact, that he was sacked way more than he should have been.

Subzero717

Reaction score
scutterhawk":ikm7n623 said:
CALIHAWK1":ikm7n623 said:
scutterhawk":ikm7n623 said:
CALIHAWK1 said:

Oh hell no,,,, Jackson couldn't beat out Flynn last Year, and Portis has already been re-signed, +, the Seahawks are bringing in a bunch of QB's for tryouts for RW's back-up.
Just because I don't prefer Jackson over those others, doesn't mean that I don't admire his toughness, and desire to fight through adversities.
I just don't believe that he's a TD machine, and he took way too long to decide when to get rid of the ball, so long in fact, that he was sacked way more than he should have been.

So who of the 4 named back ups mentioned would you take over Jackson?

pinksheets

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1pjd372b said:
They were not going to pay TJack his salary + Flynn's, especially with Russell proving himself so early on. Flynn's guaranteed money meant TJack was gone from the get go.

Shadyhawk182

Reaction score
if this is REALLY as big a deal as people are making it.
lets trade up in the draft and get Geno, he'd be a good back up behind RW...
*sarcasm off*
NOW
i know back up qb is important.
But this offense....not too hard to get the ball to Harvin, Tate, or Rice, Dont feel like that? Give it to lynch...not confident to hand it off or throw deep, Mr. Miller will find his way to the ball around the middle or the sidelines.
With this team, i think just a capable QB could keep them going.
so i dont think there is necessarily as wrong choice.
Find the most capable, make them be handcuffed to RW watching game film. and let them enjoy the ride.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Regardless who they swoop up, this team is screwed if Wilson goes down (if it's for the season) Hopefully they can get someone who can win a couple games if he goes out for a few weeks.

Atradees

Reaction score
Might get lucky with a
n undrafted free agent? that's my pick. Then we can trade him to the Chiefs in three years when Andy Reid gets fired and they bring in a new staff.

kearly

Reaction score
Wallace is the best of the 4. Thigpen is the most interesting (which isn't saying much). Leinart has no drive, even Joey Harrington thinks Matt Leinart is a quitter who's too eager to be a career backup (I'm joking). But I think I'd rather have Leinart over Brady Quinn. Quinn was abysmal last season, and if not for an extreme fluke game against Carolina, he would have finished with numbers worse than Ryan Lindley, and Lindley was historically bad. Like Curtis Painter, Brady Quinn is the kind of backup you want if you are hoping for a #1 pick (which hey KC, mission accomplished!).