Update: After working out 4, Seahawks to sign Brady Quinn

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ErikG803":3787f3lb said:
1. Thigpen
2. Quinn
3. Leinart
4. Wallace

After going to U-Tube and watching highlights of Wallace?
1. Seneca Wallace
2.thigpen
3. Quinn

4. Leinart

ivotuk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3jkqaffw said:
ErikG803":3jkqaffw said:
1. Thigpen
2. Quinn
3. Leinart
4. Wallace

After going to U-Tube and watching highlights of Wallace?
1. Seneca Wallace
2.thigpen
3. Quinn

4. Leinart

Good call :th2thumbs: None of those guys can compete with Seneca when it comes to the read-option except for maybe Thigpen. But Wallace has a much better completion percentage and TD/INT ratio. I would prefer Seneca as you can also put him in the backfield ala Percy Harvin, albeit a bit slower and less elusive, it would still make defenses think. "Is DangeRuss going to run it, throw it, hand it off, what about when Seneca gets it, will he run it, throw it back to Russell, or maybe short toss to BeastMode? Who the hell knows? :waah:

garrylt4

Reaction score
I'd rather draft a young prospect, God forbid something happen but a rookie did ok last year. Seneca does not excite me, 34 years old and never proven he can be a starter. If he could have been he would have.

Subzero717

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3h658c5j said:
All these people saying 'NO' to all of these guys...

You do realise we're holding a backup QB work out don't you?

One of these guys probably gets signed and wins the opportunity to compete with Portis and a rookie to be the backup during camp.

We're not looking for a franchise quarterback here. We're looking for a guy who can pull off a cap & clipboard combo.

Curtis Painter was supposed to hold a clipboard and then Peyton got hurt and Polian got fired.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
garrylt4":qa0sbjsg said:
I'd rather draft a young prospect, God forbid something happen but a rookie did ok last year. Seneca does not excite me, 34 years old and never proven he can be a starter. If he could have he would have.

He's 32, and we're not looking for a starter.

People who say they're not "excited" about any of these guys are being ridiculous. Who gets excited about backup QB signings? Fans of bad teams with lousy starters... that's who. We aren't in that position if you haven't noticed.

ivotuk

Reaction score
garrylt4":227oysxj said:
I'd rather draft a young prospect, God forbid something happen but a rookie did ok last year. Seneca does not excite me, 34 years old and never proven he can be a starter. If he could have been he would have.

That would be great but this is not the year of the QB via the draft. But I'm sure Pete will do all of the above, there is a reason he is bringing these guys in it is most likely that the odds of finding our best back up will not favor a QB from the 2013 draft. But rest assured, we will draft a prospect, and he will have every shot at becoming the 2nd in charge.

edit: The argument here is not rookie vs veteran but rather which of these veterans would you prefer?

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
sutz":27mlsa07 said:
jammerhawk":27mlsa07 said:
Every available QB will get a look or at least be linked to Seattle who may then just draft a guy. It's all good and not unexpected as JS keeps the talking heads talking, while rolling over all the rocks.
Why "may then?" Why not both?. We're talking wa-a-a-ay pre camp here. Starting camp with 4 QBs is hardly unheard of. In fact, I think it's common. We have two now. Sign a FA and draft a rook.

:229031_shrug:

Bingo.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I don't think we are just adding a vet. I am sure the #3 will be a young draftee , FE or maybe even Portis

I would lean towards Wallace myself. He moves well has a good arm and we even hade him play a bit as a wide.

garrylt4

Reaction score
Then its thigpen. Still no thanks to Seneca even at 32

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":3s4dji7l said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3s4dji7l said:

One of these guys probably gets signed and wins the opportunity to compete with Portis and a rookie to be the backup during camp.

We're not looking for a franchise quarterback here. We're looking for a guy who can pull off a cap & clipboard combo.

Curtis Painter was supposed to hold a clipboard and then Peyton got hurt and Polian got fired.

Is Russell Wilson a 36-year-old with a bad neck?

It's a redundant comparison. I could just as easily point at Graham Harrell and say... "Oh look, Green Bay didn't need him."

People need to stop getting their panties in a twist about the backup role.

hawksfansinceday1":3s4dji7l said:
None of the above please.

What would you propose then?

Not even have a veteran backup competing in camp? Because this is what's available.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3lnb0wmy said:
BlueTalon":3lnb0wmy said:
I'd be OK with bringing Seneca back. I agree with NYCoug, he drove me nuts by running the ball out of bounds for a loss of yards. And let's not forget he has a learning disability of some sort. That said, he did a good job taking over for an injured Matt in 2008 I believe, and he is a great athlete. I wouldn't have a problem with him coming in as a backup the same way I wouldn't have a problem with T-Jack coming in as a backup.
Wasn't it T-Jack in 2011 that ran out of bounds and losing a bunch of yards on a 4th down also?

He didn't run out of bounds, he threw it out of bounds on the last play of the game down less than a TD, when at the very least he could of chucked it to the end zone for a slim chance at a victory. I'm SO glad those days are behind us...

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
You guys realize that a "great" backup doesn't usually stay on the team for that long, right? If a backup excels at his job, then eventually another team will want him and then we begin the cycle again.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
garrylt4":vejim3ya said:
Well hell, if we're just throwing numbers out there willy-nilly, then why not say Seneca's 54 years old, and was only good enough to be a backup in a non-fitting WCO.
Truth is, he is a gamer, who keeps his wheels oiled up (stays in shape), he isn't all beat up, (at age 32) doesn't have the WCO down pat, and never did, THAT is the reason that he wasn't ever considered for being the "Starter".
Wallace does have the tendency to play with a style that better matches the system that RW is playing.
Too bad that the NFL came up with a system about 6 years too late for Wallace's skillset.
No, he's not as fast anymore, but he vying for the Seahawks QB BACKUP position.
All this teeter-tottering over this issue will be ironed out by Bevel, Schneider, and Carroll, and I'm sure they are considering all their candidates, and will make the right choices, and whoever gets the nod, will still have to "Compete"
Even if they sign one of these guys, I think they just MIGHT be looking to draft a QB also.
PS. Seneca still throws an accurate ball, has a nice touch on his passes, and is a great route runner with good hands, and if he can still jump like he did while with the Seahawks? well, let's just say that with all the variables that he brings, that Pete won't overlook what he can mean for trick plays either.

Subzero717

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1kcxqffk said:
CALIHAWK1":1kcxqffk said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1kcxqffk said:

It's a redundant comparison. I could just as easily point at Graham Harrell and say... "Oh look, Green Bay didn't need him."

hawksfansinceday1":1kcxqffk said:

Not even have a veteran backup competing in camp? Because this is what's available.

Is Jay Cutler?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2rlojyqa said:
CALIHAWK1":2rlojyqa said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2rlojyqa said:

hawksfansinceday1":2rlojyqa said:

Jason Campbell, but sadly it's too late for that. Colt McCoy is better than any of those guys too IMO. But again, too late (and it bugs me that the Whiners beat us to him). I also proposed Matt Moore before Miami re-signed him. In fact he was my first choice. I get that this is the backup we're discussing and if Russ stays healthy it's irrelevant but I would like to have seen a more proactive approach to trading Flynn and getting a better option for the backup in sooner. Since that didn't happen, at this point I am more interested in a rookie that's ready for the role than these other guys. If I absolutely MUST choose from that list, it would be Thigpen.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
No matter who Seattle picks at backup, nobody's going to be able to get anywhere near mitigating Russell Wilson's importance to this offense. If he goes down, we're hosed, to a much greater degree than most teams. The backup QB will simply be the guy who hands off to Lynch while it happens, so frankly this isn't worth getting worried about for me.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":mw633we7 said:
I would gladly take T-Jack over any of these clowns. Too bad he isn't available right now.
T-Jack wasn't even in consideration, and for a good reason.