Tyler Thigpen?

McGruff

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1a16hg9e said:
I'm just going to copy this from the McCoy thread since no one seemed willing or able to answer:

Why do folks seem so keen on spending almost all of the $3.25 million cap saving from trading Flynn to acquire back-ups who are probably a lot worse than him (e.g. McCoy, Thigpen)? I'd honestly prefer them to use that money elsewhere or roll it over and just grab a QB in the draft.

Because McCoy or Thigpen will be a lot closer to 1million than 3million.

McGruff

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":r82cds3n said:
DavidSeven":r82cds3n said:
I'm just going to copy this from the McCoy thread since no one seemed willing or able to answer:

Why do folks seem so keen on spending almost all of the $3.25 million cap saving from trading Flynn to acquire back-ups who are probably a lot worse than him (e.g. McCoy, Thigpen)? I'd honestly prefer them to use that money elsewhere or roll it over and just grab a QB in the draft.
For one, the savings is 3.25m this year & 2m next year for a total of 5.25m saved when Flynn is traded. Too many people ignore that figure and just focus on this years cap savings.

With that said, I'd prefer to do as you want to do, too; roll that cap money over into next year and draft a capable, cheap rookie backup.

The problem with that is that a "capable" rookie backup is not a guarantee in the draft. Most likely, that rookie would need a year before being forced into the spotlight unless we are looking at drafting one Day 2 (rounds 2-3), which I don't want to do.

So in conjunction to drafting a QB, it's a great addition to the roster to look at the free agent market for a capable backup, too.

A guy like McCoy or Thigpen (who will probably cost at the minimum, $1 million at most) can be that capable, experienced stopgap backup until the rookie QB is ready or at worse, we hold off on drafting a QB semi-early until next years draft.

Savings next year is closer to 5 million than 2.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Tyler Thigpen is horrid, not sure why anybody would want him here. His accuracy is non-existent, as evidenced by his dreadful completion %'s. He's a career 54% thrower, and his pre-season %'s are just as bad. This goes back to his college days as well, where he had major accuracy/completion % issues until his senior season. His athleticism is also overrated. He ran a middling 4.78 at his pro day, and that was 6 years ago. He'll be 29 in two weeks. And he lacks relevant experience, attempting a total of 83 passes over the past 4 seasons combined (and completing just 43 of them). His entire NFL career has been spent bouncing around amongst awful teams (Chiefs, Dolphins, Bills). I wouldn't want Thigpen here as the #3 QB, let alone #2.

kearly

Reaction score
Thigpen isn't a free agent. He's under contract with the Bills, so Seattle would have to trade for him. With Kolb, T-Jack, and possibly a drafted QB all being on the roster next August, why not just wait as one of Thigpen or T-Jack is a virtual lock to be released in early September?

Tyler Thigpen in a nutshell.

I'd rather just draft a QB. Vince Young and Troy Smith are available as free agents too. Chandler Harnish is on Indy's practice squad, although I don't know what the rules are for signing other team's practice squad players during the offseason.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
kearly,

Thigpen is indeed an unrestricted FA. His contract with the Bills expired after this past season.

Largent80

Reaction score
Thigpen sounds like Pig pen, which is a sloppy mess. Kinda like this guys career.

No Thanks.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
McGruff":2tuoimtv said:
Recon_Hawk":2tuoimtv said:
DavidSeven":2tuoimtv said:

For one, the savings is 3.25m this year & 2m next year for a total of 5.25m saved when Flynn is traded. Too many people ignore that figure and just focus on this years cap savings.

With that said, I'd prefer to do as you want to do, too; roll that cap money over into next year and draft a capable, cheap rookie backup.

The problem with that is that a "capable" rookie backup is not a guarantee in the draft. Most likely, that rookie would need a year before being forced into the spotlight unless we are looking at drafting one Day 2 (rounds 2-3), which I don't want to do.

So in conjunction to drafting a QB, it's a great addition to the roster to look at the free agent market for a capable backup, too.

A guy like McCoy or Thigpen (who will probably cost at the minimum, $1 million at most) can be that capable, experienced stopgap backup until the rookie QB is ready or at worse, we hold off on drafting a QB semi-early until next years draft.

Savings next year is closer to 5 million than 2.
Don't know how ur getting that figure.

If he plays one more year here, he'll make 7.25m with a signing bonus of 2m next year. Total of 9.25m against the two year cap for one season of play.

If he's traded, that 2m signing bonus in 2014 is added to the 2013 signing bonus of 2m equaling 4m against the 2013 cap (but zero against the cap in 2014).

So 7.25 minus 4m equals 3.25m saved in 2013 and -2 million in 2014 for a total of 5.25 m saved.

The only extra cost that should be counted against the savings of trading Flynn is the addition of a replacement QB.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
It's pretty simple actually. Factoring in the $6M signing bonus as part of his 3-year deal ($2M annual prorated cap charge) and not factoring in additional escalators and incentives that Flynn had in his contract....

For as long as Flynn stays, the cap charges are as follows:
2013 - $7.25M ($5.25M salary + $2M pro-rated signing bonus charge)
2014 - $8.25M ($6.25M salary + $2M pro-rated signing bonus charge)

If he's traded now, the cap charges are as follows:
2013 - $4M (pro-rated signing bonus charges; accelerated)
2014 - $0

Cumulative cap savings if traded now:
2013 - $3.25M
2014 - $8.25M

A London Hawk

Reaction score
I think the general expectation is that if Flynn is on the roster this year he'll be cut next March, hence no-one is considering losing his 2014 salary as a 'saving' for trading him this year.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":3owt3x56 said:
A guy like McCoy or Thigpen (who will probably cost at the minimum, $1 million at most)

Where are you getting this number? From what i understand, McCoy is due $2.5 million in 2013. Thigpen just came off a contract that paid him $2.5 million/year. Most of the recent back-up quality QBs have been signing for $3-6 million this off-season. Even T-Jack's deal counts $2.25 against Bugfalo's cap next season, and I have a feeling he's going to be third string by week 1.

chris98251

Reaction score
I believe you must add the player to your regular roster if you pilfer a practice squad. We could also bring back Portis, he is better then anyone immediate after Flynn is traded and then let the FA Market shake out as well as draft a QB. If nothing else Portis knows the system and as so many want fits a lot of the physical skill sets of Wilson.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
McGruff":vziav9vd said:

Based on what? McCoy is due $2.5 million in 2013 and people are talking about acquiring him via trade thus keeping his contract in tact.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":7eecwjce said:
Recon_Hawk":7eecwjce said:
A guy like McCoy or Thigpen (who will probably cost at the minimum, $1 million at most)

Where are you getting this number? From what i understand, McCoy is due $2.5 million in 2013. Thigpen just came off a contract that paid him $2.5 million/year. Most of the recent back-up quality QBs have been signing for $3-6 million this off-season. Even T-Jack's deal counts $2.25 against Bugfalo's cap next season, and I have a feeling he's going to be third string by week 1.
It's a guess, nothing more.

Most of the "backup" signings so fat this year are not the usual types. Many of them are signed with the possibility of competing for a starting spot (Cassell/Kolb) or in the case of Hass, providing veteran leadership/training for Luck. McCoy signing with the Seahawks would be as a pure backup, with limited playing time and would also be signed (most likely) after the draft, so the market will be low for McCoy since most teams will have their starting and backup QB situation figured out already.

McCoys 2.35million is based on escalators met from playing time his rookie year (that now have him in the too expensive to keep category). It's not his usual contract figure and is a main reason why I don't see Seattle trading for McCoy unless he restructures.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Fair enough. They're definitely more viable as options if they can indeed be signed for $1 million or less, but I'm still quite skeptical that can be done in the current market. I'd still rather roll with a project QB in the draft, which is the route SF appears to be going at this point. Obviously, I'll be comfortable with whatever decision PC/JS think is best.

McGruff

Reaction score
A London Hawk":2xtap6qi said:
I think the general expectation is that if Flynn is on the roster this year he'll be cut next March, hence no-one is considering losing his 2014 salary as a 'saving' for trading him this year.

Well, those that aren't considering it aren't dealing with facts, cause the fact is that cutting hm now saves between 6 and 8 million in 2014 that can be used toward other vets.

McGruff

Reaction score
DavidSeven":efokyye0 said:
McGruff":efokyye0 said:

Based on what? McCoy is due $2.5 million in 2013 and people are talking about acquiring him via trade thus keeping his contract in tact.

It is common for traded layers to renegotiate to a lower figure prior to a trade. That's the hold up with Flynn and the Raiders,,for a very pertinent example.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
McGruff":5ymhqjz6 said:
DavidSeven":5ymhqjz6 said:
McGruff":5ymhqjz6 said:

It is common for traded layers to renegotiate to a lower figure prior to a trade. That's the hold up with Flynn and the Raiders,,for a very pertinent example.

Find it hard to believe McCoy would restructure for a team he's traded to. $2.35 million isn't exactly audacious money for a back-up QB. Worst that happens if he refuses is that he gets cut and he gets to pick his destination. I'm sure many teams would be willing to offer him at least $1 million to be QB2 or QB3.

Flynn's situation is obviously a little different in that he's looking for an opportunity to start and Oakland has leverage in that they are the only team that seems willing to entertain the idea of him doing that next year. Even with that, his camp is reportedly and justifiably resistant to the idea.