Trevone Boykin

chris98251

Reaction score
You all forget that TJack knew the offense and was a contributor with Russells ramp up of learning it.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
chris98251":1i19ynx0 said:
You all forget that TJack knew the offense and was a contributor with Russells ramp up of learning it.
And if that was really important, they would have kept him over Flynn who didn't know the offense.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
chris98251":1joih339 said:
Hmm. I seam to remember Russ came to rookie camp having learned the play calls after just getting drafted.

I know you guys like TJack but I think you are selling Russell short when you credit TJack with any part of Russell's development. Russ is Russ no matter who's in that qb room with him.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":wio4t0uw said:
chris98251":wio4t0uw said:
And if that was really important, they would have kept him over Flynn who didn't know the offense.
The fact that they jettisoned Flynn the following year like a hot potato and aggressively welcomed Tarvaris back is the exact summation your question was seeking

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think Boykin wins the job.

I like that they got his college center in rookie camp, which gives him a bit of an edge.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":kx7bxbad said:
Scottemojo":kx7bxbad said:
chris98251":kx7bxbad said:
The fact that they jettisoned Flynn the following year like a hot potato and aggressively welcomed Tarvaris back is the exact summation your question was seeking

I think salary was the biggest factor in that scenario.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Scottemojo":13w7q4fp said:

I like that they got his college center in rookie camp, which gives him a bit of an edge.
Hunt looks like a short, chubby version of Moffitt. Am I wrong?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Laloosh":1zcjf9g7 said:
Scottemojo":1zcjf9g7 said:

His height does not define his skillset!

Until he gets caught pissing in public, all Moffitt comps are a stretch.

footstepsfrom#27

Reaction score
kearly":2naupj44 said:
Thanks for sharing your perspective footstepsfrom#27.

I think racial bias played a big role in Boykin going undrafted. GMs are going to look at off-field incidents differently if a person is black. It's unfortunate. Also, I am pretty sure that if Boykin were white, we'd all be hearing at least casual comparisons between Boykin and Wentz.

It's amazing how stereotypes and bias still hold strong even now, but in this case I'm not complaining too much. It helped Seattle get a very talented QB in UDFA. Hopefully Boykin has a big chip on his shoulder.

I don't think there is any doubt that race is still a factor, not just in the NFL but in college as well. I'm not even talking about outright deliberate racism but just the fact that there is implicit bias built up in the minds of people who are unaware of it. The black QB is still often cast as the "running quarterback" when he gets to college. A lot of these guys are hurt by the very athletic traits that made them successful at the previous level. Boykins is a case in point. This kid out up 1800 yards rushing and nearly 3,000 passing with something like 42 TD's his senior year in HS going against the best HS competition in the country. He gets to TCU and all they can see is a 4.5 forty. They make him a slot receiver.

Johnny Manziel is a good example of a white QB who can run and yet he didn't get put in the "athlete" pile at Texas A&M like Boykins did. He even gets drafted in the first round despite similar size and much more serious character issues than Boykins had by far. Boykins is a far superior athlete than Manziel ever dreamed of being. Weirdly, that actually works against him. It doesn't happen all the time of course. Marcus Mariota is getting his chance but you hear fans saying he's going to fail like RG3 has, forgetting that RG3 has an attitude problem while Mariota is an incredibly respected leader who exhibits humility and is loved by teammates for his work ethic...as if the single factor of being a guy who's fast and can run justifies the comparison.

To me the biggest risk by far in this draft is Goff. In terms of athleticism and his value to his team, he wasn't on the same level as Boykins, not even close. But he's 6'4" and had a high rate of accuracy. What they don't mention is he doesn't throw a freaking spiral. He has a pretty average arm and while he has good footwork in the pocket he can't escape from the rush if he has to run. Since he also played in the same offense as Boykins how on earth is he the #1 pick and Boykins doesn't even get drafted? Wilson proves the height thing can be overcome and I believe Boykins, if he gets to develop a couple years will do the same.

The NFL acts like they're worried about guys who play in the shotgun in spread offenses. In reality the NFL itself is now significantly a league of spread offenses and shotgun QB's. The old 2 back offenses with the QB under center are few and far between now. This is why Wentz has been seen as a franchise guy. But even he only played under center a quarter of his snaps. Wentz has been lauded as a mobile guy who's got the ability to get out and run to evade the rush. He's not on the same planet with Boykins as a runner who can buy time or evade the rush and scramble. Boykins has jaw dropping run skills that not even guys like RG3 have. Think Michael Vick meets Fran Tarkenton. For some reason this is supposed to mean he can't pass, yet slugs like Hackenburg and Cook were considered better prospects and they are both innacurate passers who also can't run a lick.

I like Paxton Lynch as our QBOTF if he gets time to decelop because of his arm and wheels to go with the size. It wouldn't surprise me if he turns out better than both Wentz and Goff just because of his team's situation. After the first round no QB in this draft was anything more than a complete project, and based in that fact alone none of them deserved to go ahead of Boykins IF you go by what your eyes tell you not by what a measuring tape says.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Scottemojo":ucu6wjz5 said:
Laloosh":ucu6wjz5 said:
Scottemojo":ucu6wjz5 said:

Moffitt%202012.jpg

160508_hunt.jpg

McGruff

Reaction score
Laloosh":14qctoti said:
Scottemojo":14qctoti said:
Laloosh":14qctoti said:
Scottemojo":14qctoti said:

Moffitt%202012.jpg

160508_hunt.jpg

I actually thought the second pic was Moffitt until I looked at the number!

Largent80

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3apxh0zk said:
Laloosh":3apxh0zk said:
Scottemojo":3apxh0zk said:

Need to see Hunt in a Hooters outfit before I make a judgement.

As far as Boykin goes, I hope he gets the job.

Tical21

Reaction score
According to Millen, Boykin looked colossally bad in his decision making over the weekend. He just couldn't get the hang of it and was playing "flyers up" for most of the weekend.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Tical21":ydamxyz2 said:
According to Millen, Boykin looked colossally bad in his decision making over the weekend. He just couldn't get the hang of it and was playing "flyers up" for most of the weekend.

I'm sure TJack loves that report.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
I'd love to this kid make the squad, I'm Frog fan but I want the best guy for the job.

Not really worried about a rough weekend, it's how fast he recovers and gets up to speed.
Fact is, it's a huge jump, and some guys just never can make it. I have faith that if that's the case with Boykin, the staff will recognize it and move on quickly.

Adopted Rookie: Alex Collins

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Tical21":1g35jxal said:
Millen was just on with Mitch and said Adams had a really rough weekend, rebounded a little bit Sunday, but was not impressive. Boykin was alarmingly terrible with his decision process, and just threw a bunch of balls up for grabs.

Was listening to Mel kiper Saturday morning and he was saying that the only chance Boykin has to make it in the nfl is to move to wr. I guess we'll see what happens.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1vka14nm said:
Tical21":1vka14nm said:

Tarvaris, a 10-year veteran, doesn't need an undrafted rookie to underperform in order to retain his job.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Tical21":1ltv0v08 said:

Millen's never been wrong before on QBs ever, like its never ever happened.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1gqpbyln said:
HawkFan72":1gqpbyln said:
Tical21":1gqpbyln said:

Tarvaris, a 10-year veteran, doesn't need an undrafted rookie to underperform in order to retain his job.

Retain his job? He in not on the roster and has no job to retain. Of course Boykin would have to under perform for TJack to get a shot. If Boykin absolutely lit up mini camp, TJack would not even be a consideration.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
footstepsfrom#27":3uweg1dk said:
kearly":3uweg1dk said:
I think racial bias played a big role in Boykin going undrafted. GMs are going to look at off-field incidents differently if a person is black. It's unfortunate. .

I don't think there is any doubt that race is still a factor, not just in the NFL but in college as well..

Exactly. Which is why, for example, Winston and Mariota fell so far in the draft last year, and good guy Mariota got the nod ahead of bad boy Winston with all of his off-field issues.

-bsd