Trevone Boykin

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":21z86rs3 said:
Scottemojo":21z86rs3 said:
Tarvaris was so vital to Russell's development that they traded him away in 2012.

Bring on the Boykins clipboard era.
I guess 3 of the last 4 years means nothing? I'm sure if you asked Russ he'd completely disagree with you.

No, he wouldn't. Oh, he might say the right thing, but Wilson was the hardest working guy in the building from day one, Pete tagged him as a competitor for starter after 3 days of rookie camp, which was played sans TJ. He didn't need Tarvaris to take over Wisconsin in 10 days and become team captain, and he didn't need Tarvaris to come within an eyelash of winning his first two playoff games. And with TJ somewhere else the last 3 years, nothing about Wilson's game would be different. Perhaps TJ has learned a thing or two from Wilson, but the other way round? Hell nah.

I love TJ. I applauded his toughness in 2011 while acknowledging that he was roughly a 1 TD, 1 interception per game guy (even before the season I made that observation, and it was balls on accurate). But to pretend that Wilson would be what he is now without TJ is...stupid.

You love the guy. I get it. But that is no reason to talk out your ass.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Scottemojo":wupoigfk said:
Siouxhawk":wupoigfk said:
Scottemojo":wupoigfk said:
Tarvaris was so vital to Russell's development that they traded him away in 2012.

I guess 3 of the last 4 years means nothing? I'm sure if you asked Russ he'd completely disagree with you.

No, he wouldn't. Oh, he might say the right thing, but Wilson was the hardest working guy in the building from day one, Pete tagged him as a competitor for starter after 3 days of rookie camp, which was played sans TJ. He didn't need Tarvaris to take over Wisconsin in 10 days and become team captain, and he didn't need Tarvaris to come within an eyelash of winning his first two playoff games. And with TJ somewhere else the last 3 years, nothing about Wilson's game would be different. Perhaps TJ has learned a thing or two from Wilson, but the other way round? Hell nah.

I love TJ. I applauded his toughness in 2011 while acknowledging that he was roughly a 1 TD, 1 interception per game guy (even before the season I made that observation, and it was balls on accurate). But to pretend that Wilson would be what he is now without TJ is...stupid.

Finally someone tells it like it is.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":19hzxfkj said:
Siouxhawk":19hzxfkj said:
Scottemojo":19hzxfkj said:

I realize that Russ is one of the hardest working guys out there and takes his job seriously ... that's what makes him Russ ... but it's completely naive to not give Tarvaris any credit for even a fraction of his development. Aside from Carl Smith and Bevell, Tarvaris spends more time with Russ than any other player.

As I said before, might as well develop Boykin and Adams for the developmental/practice squad spot, but if anything happened to Russ for a short period of time this year, I would want a veteran like Tarvaris who is entrenched in our system to carry the torch until Russ was back on the field. Sure I like Tarvaris, but my interest lies in the overall success of the Hawks

kearly

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your perspective footstepsfrom#27.

I think racial bias played a big role in Boykin going undrafted. GMs are going to look at off-field incidents differently if a person is black. It's unfortunate. Also, I am pretty sure that if Boykin were white, we'd all be hearing at least casual comparisons between Boykin and Wentz.

It's amazing how stereotypes and bias still hold strong even now, but in this case I'm not complaining too much. It helped Seattle get a very talented QB in UDFA. Hopefully Boykin has a big chip on his shoulder.

chris98251

Reaction score
Scottemojo":39e2fqat said:
Siouxhawk":39e2fqat said:
Scottemojo":39e2fqat said:

Actually year one and two TJack was very helpful to Russell, I know there were articles that referred to this and how much help TJack was in Film sessions, at this juncture though I think that Wilson has a better handle on NFL type defensive schemes etc , that while TJack can still be helpful in that area and on game day the torch needs to be lit to pass here soon.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
chris98251":35fopdze said:
Scottemojo":35fopdze said:
Siouxhawk":35fopdze said:
Scottemojo":35fopdze said:

Actually year one and two TJack was very helpful to Russell, I know there were articles that referred to this and how much help TJack was in Film sessions, at this juncture though I think that Wilson has a better handle on NFL type defensive schemes etc , that while TJack can still be helpful in that area and on game day the torch needs to be lit to pass here soon.
TJ got traded to the Bills year one. Was only there for training camp. How was he helping Russ? Long distance phone calls from Buffalo?

Russ's stats were nearly the same year one and two. So without TJ, with TJ, same same.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1akt7hkd said:
Scottemojo":1akt7hkd said:
Siouxhawk":1akt7hkd said:
Scottemojo":1akt7hkd said:

I realize that Russ is one of the hardest working guys out there and takes his job seriously ... that's what makes him Russ ... but it's completely naive to not give Tarvaris any credit for even a fraction of his development. Aside from Carl Smith and Bevell, Tarvaris spends more time with Russ than any other player.

As I said before, might as well develop Boykin and Adams for the developmental/practice squad spot, but if anything happened to Russ for a short period of time this year, I would want a veteran like Tarvaris who is entrenched in our system to carry the torch until Russ was back on the field. Sure I like Tarvaris, but my interest lies in the overall success of the Hawks
No, it is naive to think Russ needed TJ's help to become good. That is like saying Michael Jordan needed Craig Hodges to get as good as he did.

Admit it. You really, really liked TJ before he was a Seahawk.

You are still talking out your ass. I don't buy it.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1jd1esft said:
Scottemojo":1jd1esft said:
Siouxhawk":1jd1esft said:
Scottemojo":1jd1esft said:

TJ got traded to the Bills year one. Was only there for training camp. How was he helping Russ? Long distance phone calls from Buffalo?

Russ's stats were nearly the same year one and two. So without TJ, with TJ, same same.[/quote]
I'm sure he was stating Year 1 as the first year Tarvaris was back (2013) to work with Russ. But don't let that get in the way of inserting one of your snide comments.

And stats? Fantasy football again? Oh yes, the year Tarvaris came back is the year we uncorked the champagne bottle on our first Super Bowl victory. Oh yes, I forgot that Tarvaris had absolutely nothing to do with that magic moment. The only thing that matters is what goes on between the lines, I guess. Yet when we beat the Niners in the NFC championship, why was it that one of the first people Russ sought out was 'Jack'?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Because, like the rest of the team, he likes TJ?

There is nothing TJ did to help Wilson that any other competent backup could not have done. Nothing.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
TJack is a tough SOB. So is Russell.

But sorry, that's where the comparisons end. Russell had the it factor from day one and was going to be successful in this league if given a chance.

TJack had nothing to do with what makes Russell special.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Pete's day one presser from the rookie minicamp makes it pretty plain.

He respects TJ, but TJ and Wilson are a different style. Boykin and Adams mean they can have a backup similar to Russ.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
A competent veteran backup with the right attitude would certainly help facilitate Russ's development. That is exactly what Tarvaris provided. As has been mentioned, articles have already credited Tarvaris with being there for Russ when he bounced questions off him in the film room and practice field. That's a behind-the-scenes addition that is nice to have.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2gm1qtv3 said:
A competent veteran backup with the right attitude would certainly help facilitate Russ's development. That is exactly what Tarvaris provided. As has been mentioned, articles have already credited Tarvaris with being there for Russ when he bounced questions off him in the film room and practice field. That's a behind-the-scenes addition that is nice to have.
Agreed. A non threatening backup who doesn't want to be the starter with some experience can answer questions.

Currently, Russ has more starting experience than TJ. So what questions does TJ answer now? What should I wear to the presser? Heads or tails?

Still talking out your ass.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":44u96gi4 said:
Siouxhawk":44u96gi4 said:
Agreed. A non threatening backup who doesn't want to be the starter with some experience can answer questions.

Currently, Russ has more starting experience than TJ. So what questions does TJ answer now? What should I wear to the presser? Heads or tails?

Still talking out your ass.
Still missing the point, I see.

Russ is entering his fifth season, so yes, he is well equipped and versed at his craft. He's the best in the game in my estimation. It's also my belief that Tarvaris was part of that maturation process.

Aside from that and on ability alone, I believe Tarvaris should be our backup heading into 2016. He knows our system to a T, keeps himself in great shape, still has a strong arm, is well liked in the locker room, has veteran savvy that can only be attained by dealing with game-day decisions and would be a good mentor to Boykin/Adams as he was to B.J.

kearly

Reaction score
It's nothing against Tjack, but I don't see any evidence that Wilson grew or developed in any significant way because Tjack was on the roster. Tjack was a good teammate. But Seattle never needed him for Russell's sake. If they did, they wouldn't have traded him for a bag of Doritos in 2012.

Tjack's value has always come from his capabilities to function in Seattle's offense as a backup QB. If Boykin or Adams can do that job better, while fitting the offense more naturally and costing less money with a better long term outlook, then that's a good thing.

I hope Tjack signs with somebody for his sake. But if he doesn't, then having him be a phone call away in the regular season basically makes him as good as a member of the roster.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
kearly":2kj5qb52 said:
It's nothing against Tjack, but I don't see any evidence that Wilson grew or developed in any significant way because Tjack was on the roster. Tjack was a good teammate. But Seattle never needed him for Russell's sake. If they did, they wouldn't have traded him for a bag of Doritos in 2012.

Tjack's value has always come from his capabilities to function in Seattle's offense as a backup QB. If Boykin or Adams can do that job better, while fitting the offense more naturally and costing less money with a better long term outlook, then that's a good thing.

I hope Tjack signs with somebody for his sake. But if he doesn't, then having him be a phone call away in the regular season basically makes him as good as a member of the roster.

Yup. We might as well say that Matt Flynn had a huge impact on Russell's development as well since he was actually in the QB room with him for the entire 2012 season.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Enjoy your take kearly, but I believe Russ did glean more knowledge from Tarvaris than you guys are giving him credit. As I said, the QB room is a pretty confined area and I would find it hard to believe Russ didn't bounce a question or two off Tarvaris during all that time they spent together. Granted there's not much of a need for that now, but abilities alone in my estimation pushes Tarvaris past Boykin and Adams. There could very well be a showdown between those 3 in training camp and Tarvaris has never shied away from a competition as Brady Quinn and Terrelle Pryor learned the past 2 years. And salary wise, the hit would only be like $1.7 million, not much even by backup standards

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":vw3o4ehf said:
kearly":vw3o4ehf said:

Yup. We might as well say that Matt Flynn had a huge impact on Russell's development as well since he was actually in the QB room with him for the entire 2012 season.
Perhaps. But did Matt Flynn really seem like a team guy to you?