Tony McDaniel Cut

Donk70

Reaction score
After injuries and the grind of the season deplete the D line, make sure all you homers continue to right your love letters to Russell Wilson, even though his nice paycheck forced us to cut our talented roster depth.

And in case Wilson is reading this

Matthew 19:24 says "Again I say unto you, it is easier for a camel to go through an eye of a needle than it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God."

Exittium

Reaction score
Donk70":36pfgt4l said:
After injuries and the grind of the season deplete the D line, make sure all you homers continue to right your love letters to Russell Wilson, even though his nice paycheck forced us to cut our talented roster depth.

And in case Wilson is reading this

Matthew 19:24 says "Again I say unto you, it is easier for a camel to go through an eye of a needle than it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God."

Da... f### ??? :177692:

Fade

Reaction score
netskier":1nz84kil said:
Hawkfan, guess about the performance of previous starter Tony McDaniel in training camp rather than guessing that he would not continue to win the competition.

That's it, you've convinced me the Seahawks should have let Wilson or Wagner play out their deals so they could keep McDaniel. He is the heart/soul of this team. LMAO give me a break.

HansGruber

Reaction score
What scares me most about this move is that Tical Matter hates it. We should never have signed Wilson and let McDaniel walk. Everyone knows that McDaniel was way more important to Seahawk success than Wilson.

I just put my 4 club seats on craigslist for $100 each, for the full season ticket. I doubt anyone will buy them though. We're doomed. This front office is making worse moves than the whiners

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
“We’re really excited about him,’ Carroll said. “This is a very physical guy at the point of attack, he moves right up into that role of the big guy who can stop the line of scrimmage. He’s an unusual player in pursuit for a big man—he chases the ball like crazy. So we have a really good alternative now.”
Rubin, who signed with Seattle as a free agent in March, played multiple positions along the defensive line during his seven years in Cleveland, and says he’s comfortable wherever the Seahawks ask him to play.

“It’s been awesome man,” Rubin said of his first few days of camp. “It’s a different level I’m trying to reach; these guys are definitely Super Bowl champs and I’m just trying to fit in and put a good foot forward and make sure I belong here.”

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2015/08/02 ... ining-camp

Fade

Reaction score
HansGruber":o0l8705a said:
What scares me most about this move is that Tical Matter hates it. We should never have signed Wilson and let McDaniel walk. Everyone knows that McDaniel was way more important to Seahawk success than Wilson.

I just put my 4 club seats on craigslist for $100 each, for the full season ticket. I doubt anyone will buy them though. We're doomed. This front office is making worse moves than the whiners

LOL

kearly

Reaction score
From a moneyball perspective, I can understand how they thought McDaniel was not worth $3 million. They also dodged a 500k roster bonus by cutting him now it seems.

I'm a little surprised by this move from a depth chart perspective though. We added Rubin who is too risky to depend on that much, and let two solid DTs walk without drafting a DT. Last year our DT group could afford some injuries. This year I'm not so sure. I suspect they only made this move because they felt they had to free up some money somehow and this was the least painful way.

Fade

Reaction score
Rubin & Hill are both better than McDaniel for you chickenlittle worryworts.

Woe is the Seahawks, they are only 2 deep at a spot instead of 3 deep. (for now)

HansGruber

Reaction score
kearly":335v8jd2 said:
From a moneyball perspective, I can understand how they thought McDaniel was not worth $3 million. They also dodged a 500k roster bonus by cutting him now it seems.

I'm a little surprised by this move from a depth chart perspective though. We added Rubin who is too risky to depend on that much, and let two solid DTs walk without drafting a DT. Last year our DT group could afford some injuries. This year I'm not so sure. I suspect they only made this move because they felt they had to free up some money somehow and this was the least painful way.
Seems like Carroll agrees with you. He was clearly unhappy about cutting McDaniel. Time for some of these young dudes to step up.

Further, it sounds like the Seahawks are hoping to resign McDaniel to a cheaper deal. Wonder how likely that is.

Fade

Reaction score
kearly":9purtujm said:

You are right kearly. I'm betting the Hawks add a vet over the next few weeks on the cheap.

netskier

Reaction score
I think he will get snapped up quickly by the competition. A seahawk starter waived, from the strongest roster in the league?

Fade

Reaction score
netskier":wp10zdoc said:
I think he will get snapped up quickly by the competition. A seahawk starter waived, from the strongest roster in the league?

OAK, ATL, JAX, CLE. Maybe even GB there run D is dreadful.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'd rather have Tony McDaniel than not, even if he was a bit less visible last year than the year before. Given the timing, it's obvious they would've kept him if the cap allowed for it. Big, sturdy DL with that kind of length isn't exactly easy to find. But it's the reality; it's been said for a while that one of the DTs was going to go if Wilson and Wagner got extended. Carroll seemed to take it hard.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
We are in phase two now. You have to adapt and make tough decisions. It will suck to watch some of these guys leave, it always does but if you are going to continue to have success the cuts are unavoidable.

The purpose of building a core group of players is to help the role players. The better core group you have the easier the job of your role players will be. I used an analogy of circles describing why the 9ers new players could struggle. Those guys that have looked good in limited time and that secondary that looked good last year will now have to do more to look the same in the absence of the talent that just departed. No more relying on the veteran to put you in the right position or cover your ass when you get out of position. Those little mistakes will become huge mistakes.

Seattle now has a core group that the role players can and will rely on and those role players in this system will get plenty of reps so in the event of an injury they are as ready as possible. Tony was a role player not a core guy. He and other role players will come and go from this point forward and the guys that come in will very likely perform better than they might have elsewhere because of the core guys we have locked up.

It's never going to be easy. The cap is designed for exactly that reason. The NFL wants parody. Unless you know a way to circumvent the salary cap then the way Pete and John are doing it is the best way possible.

Fade

Reaction score
DavidSeven":6teekwp8 said:
I'd rather have Tony McDaniel than not, even if he was a bit less visible last year than the year before. Given the timing, it's obvious they would've kept him if the cap allowed for it. Big, sturdy DL with that kind of length isn't exactly easy to find. But it's the reality; it's been said for a while that one of the DTs was going to go if Wilson and Wagner got extended. Carroll seemed to take it hard.

Carroll taking it hard is a little too strong of language. McDaniel was the weakest link on cuttqble players. Now If they had cut Mebane i would of been fuming.

netskier

Reaction score
Today Pete called mcdaniel a coffee player. In the press conference which I strongly recommend.

chris98251

Reaction score
The media comments can be taken with a grain a salt, I am sure Pete wants him, but value may not be in the green area of their charts, thus the cut and possible resign, we have done this multiple times before and this may be a work around for the Union and League rules, a risk for sure. Bowie was a cut we had hoped to resign and Cleveland grabbed him, same with Small last year. Not Veteran starters really but same concept.

Also remember we had hoped for Williams to come back last year and he didn't as well, we filled the position and moved on, I expect the same again this year. The difference is we have young guys that have now filled out to NFL bodies and have more background and experience.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Carroll did mention wanting to get TM back at some point, likely on the veteran minimum.

The signing of Rubin and the release of McDaniel only saved $400k, so they have to own this decision as that it not a huge net saving and I imagine McDaniel would have been willing to restructure for at least $400k anyway. Obviously, they believe Rubin is an upgrade over McDaniel. We will have to see about that, as I am skeptical of Rubin's conditioning and ability to play the run.

chris98251

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3axx3hnx said:
Carroll did mention wanting to get TM back at some point, likely on the veteran minimum.

The signing of Rubin and the release of McDaniel only saved $400k, so they have to own this decision as that it not a huge net saving and I imagine McDaniel would have been willing to restructure for at least $400k anyway. Obviously, they believe Rubin is an upgrade over McDaniel. We will have to see about that, as I am skeptical of Rubin's conditioning and ability to play the run.

Well if he has showed skill in the past but had a down year being in Cleveland can you blame him based on the problems there?

Here he has a situation that pushes you forward or pushes you out, they don't let attitude or lack of effort stay around to long as we have seen.

Latest posts