To be fair-should have went to OT

bigskydoc

Reaction score
There was no whistle. Go watch the NFL highlights.

No whistle audible until after the kick, all players on both sides of the ball continue playing after the offsides. No whistle.

One of the calls the refs actually got right.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
If they get that call and/or the field goal, the same events don't happen after that.

If someone wants to argue that they should have gotten a roughing the kicker call, fine. But the plays following the kick for the rest of the game aren't independent from the weirdness that occurred.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
One play at the end of the first half cannot be applied to the final score. we have no idea how the game would have played out at 28-20.

And Sherman got the ball, no? Is it roughing if he makes he block?

BuffaloFan

Reaction score
The game is still to painful to discuss.
Should have been OT.
Refs. blew delay of game call, Sherman's hit on Carpenter or on Woods at the end of the game was not a cheap shot or illegal. Funny how prime-time players make plays in clutch situations I think I would keep Sherman if I was you.
In OT we would have been underdogs to win
We needed one more turnover to win. (depending on how you count the punt block).

Time for me to vent: No response required
***Start of Rant
Our season is done. The NFL is rigged. This sucks.....&(*^%*(&*^)
***End of Rant

Good Luck the rest of the season....Glad we could beat the others in your division - It would be nice if you could pummel the Patriots next week for us and return the divisional sweep.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Annoying how the media is making a big deal out of a missed call that took place at halftime. The kicker still had a chance to make it just at the original spot and missed.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Why the assumption it would have gone to OT? Are we sure the kicker would have made the end of the game kick? It's not like we haven't seen plenty of those missed in the last couple of weeks. Plus kicking is largely mental right? Think the kicker was in the right frame of mind? Sherm coming off the edge? Bobby jumping over the line? Oh, and he was injured, right????

bigskydoc

Reaction score
How is that not delay of game? By my hand, 48.9 seconds elapsed between the whistle after the spike to end the previous play, and the whistle for delay of game. 49.25 seconds between the whistle and the snap. Even if I'm a total homer timer that is minimum 8 seconds over.

In what alternate football universe is that not delay of game?

Why did Buffalo take almost 36 seconds to line up for the kick.

Sorry, but they only have themselves to blame for that one.

12thbrah

Reaction score
HawkGA":9sm4987w said:
Why the assumption it would have gone to OT? Are we sure the kicker would have made the end of the game kick? It's not like we haven't seen plenty of those missed in the last couple of weeks. Plus kicking is largely mental right? Think the kicker was in the right frame of mind? Sherm coming off the edge? Bobby jumping over the line? Oh, and he was injured, right????

Exactly. I guess some people have already forgotten the Arizona tie.

HawkGA

Reaction score
12thbrah":58g9lipv said:
HawkGA":58g9lipv said:

Exactly. I guess some people have already forgotten the Arizona tie.

Or the Redskins-Bengals.

BuffaloFan

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3ac4shtx said:
How is that not delay of game? By my hand, 48.9 seconds elapsed between the whistle after the spike to end the previous play, and the whistle for delay of game. 49.25 seconds between the whistle and the snap. Even if I'm a total homer timer that is minimum 8 seconds over.

In what alternate football universe is that not delay of game?

Why did Buffalo take almost 36 seconds to line up for the kick.

Sorry, but they only have themselves to blame for that one.

Really!
http://www.sbnation.com/2016/11/7/13559 ... e-halftime

The ref should have reset the clock before Carpenter successfully kicked the field goal.
"This was very controversial, as the referee stood over the ball when there was just four seconds left without resetting the clock."

So of course there was a delay of the game.

And true OT was not guaranteed - nothing is. But the chances are better than 50% for a veteran field goal kicker to make a field goal at that close distance.

Anyway - logic and evidence won't convince you and you won so good luck.

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
I started this thread to discuss the facts as we know them about the calls. After watching tons of video and listening to a few players, coaches and on field reporters, here is how I see it went down.

According to the players onfield, the play was not blown dead with sherms blatant offsides and unobstructed run to the kicker. Because it was not blown dead, it is a live ball. You can see sherm hesitate about 5 ft from the kicker, but then continue. He then hits the ball with his hands first and his momentum carries him into the kicker. Then we see the kicker go all hollywood like sherm snapped his knee in half. At this point, the trainers rush the field, which causes the injury time out, even though the bills had no time outs left. This stops the clock at 3 seconds left. Because the trainers rushed out, the kicker cannot play in the next play as the rule states that a player that is injured that causes the injury time out has to sit for at least 1 play. They then realize they can spike the ball, which they do. As soon as the ball is spiked, the play clock resets. It takes the bills forever to get personnell on the field with substitutions. You can see with 3 seconds left on the play clock that the kicker is not even set up to kick yet. our defense is just waiting, and the ref is waiting to release the ball until the bills have the personnel on the field. This is the part that is questionable because the bills caused the ref to not release the ball as they were the ones not ready.

The only truly "blown" call in this as I see it was not blowing the call dead on the offsides as sherm had a free run at the kicker. It was not roughing the kicker asa sherm touched the ball first, and the lack of the bills sideline to get the correct personnel on the field caused the ref to hold onto the ball while the playclock was running.

It really, by the book, was only the one bad no call. Everything that followed could be argued in favor of the refs being correct.