Time for Pete to evaluate his defensive coaching staff

PNW

Reaction score
JustTheTip":3qzgzwkd said:
PNW":3qzgzwkd said:
Except the pass rush was the only thing that looked decent

What they were doing on the line today for pass rush was good, how they were protecting that pass rush on the backend was bad. They are so afraid of giving up big plays that they are giving up big plays (really no other way to put that.)
Agreed, Dunbar should have been pulled right away, if he was that hurt that’s on the coaching for letting him play in that state, anyone healthy would be better than that.

PNW

Reaction score
TypeSly":pnz871pz said:
PNW":pnz871pz said:
Except the pass rush was the only thing that looked decent

:sarcasm_off: ? You're kidding, right?
Nope the pass rush looked decent most sack we’ve had in a game (regular season) since 2013 no sarcasm.

getnasty

Reaction score
WmHBonney":3o53fueg said:
davidonmi":3o53fueg said:
Just gonna throw Wade Phillips' name out there?

How often is one of the all time great DC's available and actively seeking a job? Dan Quinn would be acceptable to.

And Pete should have 0 say in the matter, he is as culpable as Norton at this point.

I've been thinking this for a few weeks now. Bring Phillips here in some capacity. Give him some BS title but make him the man behind the curtain. After the season, jettison Norton and install Phillips.

Phillips is a 3-4 guy if i remeber right and was let go by the Rams because his defense sucked with a ton more talent then we have here.

PNW

Reaction score
getnasty":3fvvvji1 said:
WmHBonney":3fvvvji1 said:
davidonmi":3fvvvji1 said:

How often is one of the all time great DC's available and actively seeking a job? Dan Quinn would be acceptable to.

And Pete should have 0 say in the matter, he is as culpable as Norton at this point.

I've been thinking this for a few weeks now. Bring Phillips here in some capacity. Give him some BS title but make him the man behind the curtain. After the season, jettison Norton and install Phillips.

Phillips is a 3-4 guy if i remeber right and was let go by the Rams because his defense sucked with a ton more talent then we have here.
I don’t care sign me up on Wade I’m 100% in on that one hahaha anything has to be better than this? I feel like a ton of the blame lies on Pete though. Right now we’re making history this year lol :pukeface:

getnasty

Reaction score
PNW":1ljltbv2 said:
getnasty":1ljltbv2 said:
WmHBonney":1ljltbv2 said:
davidonmi":1ljltbv2 said:

I don’t care sign me up on Wade I’m 100% in on that one hahaha anything has to be better than this? I feel like a ton of the blame lies on Pete though. Right now we’re making history this year lol :pukeface:

Why even discuss things that will never happen? There is 0 percent chance Wade Phillps joins the Seahawks.

RCATES

Reaction score
Pete is a great leader and coach but he’s too soft when it comes to accountability. He will never fire Norton mid season. Look how long Bevell was kept around. Scariest part of all of this is this is Pete’s Defense. We just extended him.

PNW

Reaction score
getnasty":2j7t5og5 said:
PNW":2j7t5og5 said:
getnasty":2j7t5og5 said:
WmHBonney":2j7t5og5 said:

Why even discuss things that will never happen? There is 0 percent chance Wade Phillps joins the Seahawks.
Well since we’re heading into the history books for the wrong reason, I think at this point we’re all entitled to dream about something different, no?

TraderGary

Reaction score
Fade":qsshshv0 said:
Dunlap and Adams coming back didn't fix the defense? :D :D

Like I have been saying, and some are now finally starting to catch on. It is a coordinating & coaching issue.

Not a personnel issue. Sure, their personnel could stand to be better, but if you haven't noticed whenever they go out and a acquire a good to great player for the defense, they don't get better, but worse! Every time.

It's the Cable O-Line problem all over again.

Norton should be fired after next week if they look like a dumpster fire again. He has had more than enough chances to show something in his 5 seasons as a coordinator.

The defense has way too much talent to be worse all time. COACHING.

This!

TraderGary

Reaction score
massari":1jsbxzaj said:
We saw a completely healthy defense with Adams, Griffin, Dunbar, Irvin, Blair ect all playing the first two weeks, and they still gave up 970 yards those two games.

You could put 4 or 5 all-pro's in our secondary and they would still struggle in this defense because it's not the personnel on the field. It's the damn scheme, and the most passive zone defense I've ever seen in all the years I've been watching football.

kf3339

Reaction score
Unfortunately the Peter Principal is showing us why our DC isn't up to this job at all. It happens with lots of organizations in all industries. Professional Football isn't an exception.

I remember when PC was leading the Trojans back when they were winning every game and several national championships. He had Norm Chow as his OC who was just so creative that no opposing defense could figure out how to stop them. He was heavily involved with the defense and may have been calling those plays himself. But the end result was complete domination. Of course I think Chow was getting too much favorable press and PC didn't like it. That's probably why he left.

Of course he also had great talent being it was the Trojans. But his first few years he had to build that program from extreme depths before he was hired. He did the same with the Hawks.

The main difference I see is that for some reason he hasn't been willing to surround himself with really strong and creative Coordinators on both sides of the ball at the same time. Imagine if he had a Norm Chow like clone as the OC and Quinn or a close clone of him as the DC. Then imagine if he truly gave them both the freedom to bring a more modern and forward looking game plan and schemes into each game, with the ability to make in-game adjustments.

You see it with many teams who have hired these type of coaches. We just aren't one of them. I honestly don't know why.

davidonmi

Reaction score
getnasty":ct37bqrg said:
WmHBonney":ct37bqrg said:
davidonmi":ct37bqrg said:

Yeah I don't care. We would be replacing someone who can't coach an NFL defense with historically one of the best defensive coaches of all time. We will go from there.

I am aware this will never happen but there is literally 0 downside. It's almost impossible for the defense to get worse.

chris98251

Reaction score
davidonmi":33pmgwyq said:
getnasty":33pmgwyq said:
WmHBonney":33pmgwyq said:
davidonmi":33pmgwyq said:

Yeah I don't care. We would be replacing someone who can't coach an NFL defense with historically one of the best defensive coaches of all time. We will go from there.

I am aware this will never happen but there is literally 0 downside. It's almost impossible for the defense to get worse.

Problem is with the present rules are we seeing any real shut down defenses currently and Collège is even worse.

Latest posts